Author Topic: Is sending a kid to fat camp emotionally abusive?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is sending a kid to fat camp emotionally abusive?
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:09:01 AM »
I was wondering what you all think about fat camps, some of which use a form of humiliation and shame to change the kid's eating habits. This isn't much different than behavioral programs. Obesity is being shown to have physical causes (genes, metabolism, etc), so why is it treated as a choice? Or is it fun for the kids because they are around 'their own kind'?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
this thread is a joke
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »
Sheesh, yet another stupid fornits thread. Will it ever end?? That being said, there are better ways of coping with obesity (or any other perceived disorder, for that matter) than to ship the poor kid off to some fucking camp.... I can't believe I'm taking the time to reply to this ridiculous post.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Re: Is sending a kid to fat camp emotionally abusive?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:00:22 AM »
In Denmark we have the socalled Danish Christmas Seal Houses, which in the past was homes for those who came for poor homes where there was lack of food.

Today they treat overweight. A stay is 10 weeks and while there is no LGAT or therapists, they try to help kids by placing them in an environment where building up self-esteem is everything.

But does it help? Yes on one condition. The family back home has to learn to live healthy. When the child returns home they cannot live like they used to. All in the family have to eat healthier - not only the child who was sent away. They learn this by visiting the child in the weekend and in some towns family counselors continue the work with the family once they return, because - and this is important - no fat camp or school can make a long-term change if the family rather than the child is ready to change.

Every child looks at his or her parents and do what they do - not what they say.

Second, no result can be generated with humiliation, shame, punishment or bullying.

When programs like Wellspring Academies or camps use isolation on a child who refuse to work the program, the parents should pull the child at once and choose a family program instead.

I noticed that AEG is on a slow learning process there. Their new Wellspring Fit Clubs is a step on the way, but it is not perfect because what they really should do would be to include a partnership with a local restaurant where the families should go down and receive education in cooking a healthy meal once or twice per week. Including kids in the cooking phase is important because once they leave the home they will be on the fast track down to the burger-joint if they don't know otherwise.

Damn, now I told them how to make money the right way.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: this thread is a joke
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 03:12:27 AM »
Quote from: "Froderik"
Sheesh, yet another stupid fornits thread. Will it ever end?? That being said, there are better ways of coping with obesity (or any other perceived disorder, for that matter) than to ship the poor kid off to some fucking camp.... I can't believe I'm taking the time to reply to this ridiculous post.

I know, these must be manufactured in a factory somewhere

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 03:58:10 AM »
Quote from: "Rainy, not logged in"

Agreed. Nothing human could have written that.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 03:47:31 PM »
Quote from: "try another castle"

I’ll second that. Whatever it is, that thing seems to be crying out for something more than only the lowly sustenance of negative attention. I wonder if it were treated to an “over night scream thingy” would it learn compassion?
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 02:49:17 PM »
Quote from: "Inculcated"
Quote from: "try another castle"

I’ll second that. Whatever it is, that thing seems to be crying out for something more than only the lowly sustenance of negative attention. I wonder if it were treated to an “over night scream thingy” would it learn compassion?
Har-dee-har-fuckin'-har....doubt it!!!  :beat:  :beat:  :beat:  :fuckoff:  :fuckoff:  :roflmao:   :rofl:

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
What is needed to create a good fat camp
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 08:41:14 AM »
The town of Odense has a free fat camp (All Danes have taxpaid healthcare, so we dont want to pay for too many cases of diabetes).

The kids are sent out to the beach to a summer camp where the fun of swimming and running makes the loose some pounds. While they are enjoying themselves for 6 weeks, their food is slowly transformed to a more healthier one and they return home with a small weightloss.

But then most important part of this program starts. When kids return home the family starts membership of a support group and they receive visits where they are taught about healthy food.

Because the stategy is to give the kids a good experience (Some are from poor families who otherwise would never have money for a vacation) and work on the diet in the home this program works.

Now the camp has been researched by an independed University and the research show a small but remaining weight loss a year after they have left the camp. They can not bragg of huge weightlosses but over time a slow weight loss is healthier than a fast one.

Success of health camp for fat children (Poor Google translate of a Danish article)

I don't believe that a private firm can establish a fat camp with long term results because it is a work which last for years after the inpatient part of the program is over.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 05:36:13 PM »
More info about the public run fat camp from the town of Odense:

Daily schedule

Please notice that the children can phone home every second day at 18:45 using their own cell phones. Continued support to both peers and family back home are everything. It wont work if the staff tried to confine them in the program.

Second and that is important. From this link

Eight kilograms says the average weight loss, when the children are back in Odense. It is not in health terms to lose more when you have only six weeks available.

So forget the marketing. If you don't want to risk a gallbladder problems there is a limit.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »
Quote from: "Camp Putdownadaforka"
I was wondering what you all think about fat camps, some of which use a form of humiliation and shame to change the kid's eating habits. This isn't much different than behavioral programs. Obesity is being shown to have physical causes (genes, metabolism, etc), so why is it treated as a choice? Or is it fun for the kids because they are around 'their own kind'?

I think it is okay as long as the kid is taught how to maintain a healthy weight for after he returns home and also work with the parents to provide a healthier diet.  Just working the kid to take the pounds off and sending him home at a healthy weight isnt going to solve the kids problem

Offline Davon

• View Profile
    • https://plus.google.com/114818658432626467466/posts
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 12:06:51 PM »
In my experience, it's almost always the parents' fault if the kid is overweight. One way or another.

Therefore they are probably going to need some help if they want to get the kid back in shape. Sending him / her to a fat camp is certainly not the only option, but it's worth considering. Also, they parents really should have their own "camp" to figure out what they were doing wrong.