Author Topic: Benchmark Young Adult School > Coach training  (Read 764 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Benchmark Young Adult School > Coach training
« on: April 26, 2009, 01:20:36 PM »
http://www.nextstepforsuccess.com/
Next Step for Success

Re: Questions about coaching training
Monday, April 27, 2009 2:20 AM
Add sender to Contacts
To: "Bob Peterson" <[email protected]>

Bob:
Again, thanks for your inquiry.  I am not sure there is much more that I can explain as far as coaching is NOT a therapeutic model..

So, unless you wish to participate in our next training session, I do not feel there is a need for further correspondence.
Penelope

----- Original Message -----
To: Penelope Valentine
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: Questions about coaching training

I work at the School of Hard Knocks.  What therapy methods do they learn about at Next Step for Success?

--- On Sun, 4/26/09, Penelope Valentine <[email protected]> wrote:

Date: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 11:42 PM

Bob:
Maybe our interpretation of crisis intervention is different.  We do work with families who have a struggling teen or young adult.  But when it crosses the line of an 'intervention', it is out of the purview of what a coach should be doing.  To me, crisis intervention implies that the family is beyond what a coach can or should be offering.  If it reaches that point, it would be prudent for the coach to recommend other professionals with the expertise to deal with that situation.  Referring to a therapist, psychiatrist or educational consultant would be appropriate.

Incidentally, which program do you work with?  Penelope

Sunday, April 26, 2009 11:42 PM
Add sender to Contacts

Bob:
Maybe our interpretation of crisis intervention is different.  We do work with families who have a struggling teen or young adult.  But when it crosses the line of an 'intervention', it is out of the purview of what a coach should be doing.  To me, crisis intervention implies that the family is beyond what a coach can or should be offering. If it reaches that point, it would be prudent for the coach to recommend other professionals with the expertise to deal with that situation.  Referring to a therapist, psychiatrist or educational consultant would be appropriate.

Incidentally, which program do you work with?  Penelope

Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 11:33 AM

I did a google search.  In addition, I'm really surprised Next Step for Success does not offer crisis intervention training.  There are coaches that work with troubled teenagers.

--- On Sun, 4/26/09, Penelope Valentine <[email protected]> wrote:

Date: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 6:00 PM

Hello again:

Just for my marketing information, can you tell me how you found out about our training.  I like to know which marketing source is working for us!

Many thanks, Penelope

Sunday, April 26, 2009 5:09 PM
Add sender to Contacts

Hello Bob:
The recognition that the student receives from Next Step is a stand alone certification that permits one to have the designation of certified coach and has been approved by the ICF.  If a coach chooses to continue their training, they may apply our approved hours towards a higher degree recognized by ICF.  Much like the analogy of having an AA and then applying a transcript towards a higher degree.  To view what those are, please see the ICF website at http://www.coachfederation.org

No, we do not train in crisis intervention.  That is more of a therapeutic model that is not used by coaches
- the ICF code of ethics governs that a coach would refer a client to a clinician should that be indicated.

Penelope

Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:18 AM

Is the certification by the International Coach Federation equivalent to an AA degree or Bachelors degree?  Do participants in Next Step for Success receive training in crisis intervention?

Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:33 PM
Add sender to Contacts

Hello Bob:
Thank you for inquiry regarding our coach training.

I am not quite sure I understand your question.  We have set a passing score of 80% for the written.  We have two other factors that play into the final overall score:  the weekly assignments and practicum throughout the course, and the final practicum exam.  To clarify, are you not in agreement with the 80%?    We are equally interested in someone's demonstrated skill base as well as their book knowledge .

To date I have not had anyone score below 90 on the written and we have had close to 60 who have completed the course.

If you are interesting in learning more about our training course, I would love to have a conversation with you.  Just contact me to schedule a call.  Our next training is scheduled for September 2009.

Again, thanks for your inquiry.  Regards, Penelope

To: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2009 1:29 PM
Subject: Questions about coaching training

I am interested in becoming a Certified Coach and I currently work for a therapeutic boarding school.  However, I believe participants should pass the written examination at 92% or above.  Does your company plan to adjust the passing written examination score in the future?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »