Author Topic: Token Swine Flu Post  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Token Swine Flu Post
« on: April 25, 2009, 01:01:07 PM »
Ok, so some 250k to 300k people kick off from regular old flu every year, not to mention pneumonia.  Why are we having a cow over the swine flu?  Its like the west nile shit all over again.

:bs:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Token Swine Flu Post
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 05:30:27 PM »
Quote from: "Carmel"
Ok, so some 250k to 300k people kick off from regular old flu every year, not to mention pneumonia.  Why are we having a cow over the swine flu?  Its like the west nile shit all over again.

I happen to agree.  west nile, mad cow, bird flu... all it does is inconvenience and scare.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:05:50 AM »
I'm a SARS man, myself.

Flu can be lethal, since it can reach pandemic proportions. The spanish flu pandemic of 1918 reportedly killed around 50 million all over the world, many of the victims were healthy adults as well.

So I agree that all of this is alarmist in many ways, but flu *can* kill.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »
Yeah, man, right on. I'm.. like... too cool, and too busy to know about deadly threats to my health. Who cares n shit that an entire country neighboring mine is shut down and a new virus killed 100 people, and might spread the world as a pandemic. It's like, man, who cares about the history of pandemics. Cuz, brah, if the news said it then it must not be true. Did I mention I don't have a tv? Ya, dude... all you people who watch the news are just slaves to the swine flu conspiracy.  ::)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »
Quote from: "H. L. Mencken "
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 04:01:24 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Yeah, man, right on. I'm.. like... too cool, and too busy to know about deadly threats to my health. Who cares n shit that an entire country neighboring mine is shut down and a new virus killed 100 people, and might spread the world as a pandemic. It's like, man, who cares about the history of pandemics. Cuz, brah, if the news said it then it must not be true. Did I mention I don't have a tv? Ya, dude... all you people who watch the news are just slaves to the swine flu conspiracy.  ::)

Sometimes I wish people would really read a post before they decide to be rude and condescending.  If you notice, I stated the fact that plain old regular flu and subsequent pneumonia is not only a far greater threat but a far more reliable killer at an annual rate.  The entire country is not shut down, just the greater part of Mexico City, due to panic and an whole boatload of unconfirmed information.  Remember, Mexico is still reeling from its drug war and is none too willing to take any further chances when it comes to the business of tourism.  Id guess thats another sound basis for a swift a far sweeping reaction. Mexico is a fairly large country, not far off par of the size of the US.  When Detroit experiences a 48 hour blizzard and power outage in the winter,  and its 75 degrees and sunny here in Texas....I dont feel compelled to go buy a snow shovel, just in case.  Secondly, if youd take a moment away from tending the flock....you'd know that of the 81 people last confirmed as dead, only 20 of them have been confirmed as actually having the "swine flu".  And also that of the 8 students in New York to have confirmed swine flu, all eight were not only NOT hospitalized, but they are in various stages of recovery.  As are 100% of the cases confirmed here in Texas.  All of this straight from CNN.com....the devils themselves.

There are 14,000 new cases of HIV each day in the world, 40,000 cases each year here in the US.  I highly recommend you take off your face mask and go buy you and yours a good supply of condoms. :beat:
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 09:58:54 PM »
I believe the flu is so scary b/c it is so extremely contagious and air born - and it kills. New strains not seen can crop up and spread like wild fire and as we have seen in the past, it can be very deadly. When ever a new flu strain crops up the CDC goes on high alert - b/c it could be "the big one" that takes out a massive portion of the population.  It is thought that with our far more mobile populations and greater population densities we are at great risk of any virulent new virus.  What they're doing might be overkill in this case; but it might not. It takes time to tell, and with a new flu I guess they figure they can't afford to waste time waiting to see.

A lot of viruses are very scary - Ebola for example. SARS. HIV. The slightest mutation in any of them could turn it into something horrific; not that they aren't impressively worrisome as it is.  Imagine an air-born HIV virus - or Ebolah *shuddering*

But the health folks seem to think the bug most likely to burn through us and leave us decimated is the flu.

Has anybody read: the Hot Zone?  

Or, speaking of keeping people afraid: State of Fear?

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 10:16:49 PM »
well speaking on behalf of all of us who live close to the Mexican border, this is a worry. Maybe those of you in Denver don't have to worry but when this kind of thing is so close to home its appropriate for people to be aware maybe even a little bit worried.

But I must say I wouldn't be opposed to any percentage of the world population dieing off, that way maybe I'll finally be able find a front row parking space at Walmart.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 10:23:58 PM »
Even if 100 people *did* die, it's a 1 in 3 million chance i'll get the thing.  Should I buy a gas mask, tape off the windows, and hide underneath the bed?
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:50:39 PM »
Quote from: "Antigen"
Quote from: "H. L. Mencken "
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

Conspiracy theorists who peddle in wrongheaded ideas such as this suffer from a fundamental misunderstanding of the world around them. To a paranoid conspiracy theorist, the world is carefully controlled by a select group of elites, hidden above the stage manning the puppet strings of the visible media and political arena below. Of course, to the rational mind this is obviously incorrect. People free of the paranoia conspiracy mental complex realize the world is comprised of random events, and random reaction to events. The paranoid mind is, at it's core, is terrified of a world which is not controlled by someone. Even if it's evil people with evil motives, to the paranoid subconscious, this is more acceptable than the realization that no person or people are truly in control. In actuality, everybody is trying to interpret and react to random events within a system designed to mimic human control. Those who propose the idea of a cabal controlled society are hiding their head in the sand, desperately clinging to the idea somebody else is control. Besides, if regular people aren't in control of their own surroundings, why bother attempting to try. Paranoia is the lazy man's psychology, an excuse for inaction and blame.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 01:57:15 PM »
You're worring about the swine flu, calling it a legitimate threat, while calling *us* paranoid?!?!?
 :beat:

Do me a favor and google "yellow journalism".  It's no "conspiracy" media hypes scare for ratings. It's good business practice.  If you're somehow so deluded to think the media would never lie or exaggerate, i pity you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 05:07:08 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
You're worring about the swine flu, calling it a legitimate threat, while calling *us* paranoid?!?!?
 :beat:

Do me a favor and google "yellow journalism".  It's no "conspiracy" media hypes scare for ratings. It's good business practice.  If you're somehow so deluded to think the media would never lie or exaggerate, i pity you.

I'm not sure why you are trying to hard to undermine the one institution that acually helps in the fight against abusive programs, that being the press. According to you the articles about kids being killed in programs, and abused while in treatment are just sensationalism, good for business, yellow journalism. Way to go, let's degrade the credibility of the only partner in this fight.  ::)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 05:30:04 PM »
Quote from: "the media helps average people"
I'm not sure why you are trying to hard to undermine the one institution that acually helps in the fight against abusive programs, that being the press. According to you the articles about kids being killed in programs, and abused while in treatment are just sensationalism, good for business, yellow journalism. Way to go, let's degrade the credibility of the only partner in this fight.  ::)

Can I say anything without having it picked apart?!?!  Sure, some media is yellow, but some of it is genuine.  Which is which is up to you.  Look at the facts, do your researh, and make up your own mind, is what i'm saying.  Swallowing anything without thinking about its bad no matter where it comes from.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 09:31:56 AM »
Flu facts:
Population of Mexico is 110,000,000
(5,500,000 TO 22,000,000) will get the flu in any given year
87,000 plus people will be hospitalized each for flu
68,000  people will die each year from the flu Statistically more people die each year in Mexico because they don’t have the access to health care that we do here in the US.

Population of the US is 304,000,000

(15,000,000 TO 61,000,000) will get the flu in any given year.
200,000 plus people will be hospitalized for the flu
36,000 people will die each year from the flu

We have 80 deaths in Mexico so far and none in the US

So why is the media making such a big deal out of this Swine flu?  The number of deaths is way within the norm.  Are they trying to divert attention away from the economy? or the middle east?  or divert attention from the fact that the last person Obama has met that actually paid his taxes was Blagovich?

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 09:40:54 AM »
"By early Tuesday, the swine flu outbreak in Mexico was suspected in 152 deaths and more than 1,600 illnesses, its health minister said.

While authorities wait to verify whether the virus is responsible for all the deaths, the number of confirmed cases is sobering: 19 infected, seven others dead and thousands flooding hospitals."

Per CNN.com this morning.

So what they are saying is, only 19 of these 152 "suspected cases" are confirmed swine flu and only 7 of those were fatal.  So in reality, only 7 people thus far have perished from the swine flu.....as opposed to the TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND people who will probably die this year from plain ole, luv yer mama flu.  Love how they throw that in there all vague-like and spend the rest of the whole friggin article talking about pandemics and death and how people are rushing hospitals in Mexico that are guarded by soldiers, etc.  To procure face masks by the way, not because they are sick.

I want to know why of the original Mexico cases nearly all of them are still "suspected" and not confirmed....while here in the states all of the resulting cases from supposed contact with the Mexican strain have been identified or ruled out, within a matter of days/hours?