Author Topic: Landmark forum  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Landmark forum
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:45:33 AM »
I found this on a now defunct Australian site. I didn't even know they had young person seminars here

My brothers got us kicked out of the landmark young person seminar when I was fifteen.

In the 90s my dad really got into the landmark forum and for Christmas one year my older brothers and I all got tickets to the landmark forum for young people. Hu bloddy rah! My dad’s thinking was that it transformed his life & made him some sort of uberparent who went from being just a regular father to this hippy freak who went about hugging everyone regularly & insisting we all talk about every single little bullshit issue as if it was of earth shattering importance. After the forum every previously normal conversation went something like this;

‘So dave when you drink the last of the milk and put the empty carton back into the fridge, it tells me that you don’t care what the rest of the family does for milk.

Dave hates this bull shit and would get mad and resort to sarcasm with something like-Gee dad, you are right, I really don’t give a rats arse what the rest of you bastards do for milk. I am a terrible son.

I see what you are doing. You are hiding behind sarcasm & laconic humor. It is because western men are conditioned to do this when they are in pain and feeling defensive. It is only once you learn to feel your feelings that you will be capable of taking responsibility for your actions.”

It was Dave that my other brother Matt and I had to thank for our weird Christmas gift that year. At the time he was in his first year of uni and following a longstanding fresher tradition of drinking ½ his body weight in beer every single night. While most slow down by second semester Dave just kept drinking. My parents were getting worried that after a full year of this he might be getting a bit of a problem. My mum wanted him to have a chat with the family GP about cutting back or maybe going to AA or something, but Dad decided that the forum was the answer to everything including alcohol. My other brother and I got sent along for the ride just because it was supposed to be this “amazing” weekend. I as looking forward to it as much as root canal work. When I begged my mum not to make me go I was told that it had cost a lot to get tickets & it would really hurt dad’s feelings if I didn’t. I was also told that she imagined it would be much like catholic school retreat but without all the god stuff & I would probably have a great time once I was there. For those of you who did not endure catholic school, I should point out that every girl puts up with the cringe worthy cheezyness of retreat weekend because they are educated in a single sex environment and would volunteer to jump in front of a bus if it meant meeting boys. The indignity of singing this little light of mine is far outweighed by the excitement to the point of passing out of meeting some of the boys from the local Jesuit school. But I digress.

My Mother had not attended the forum we think because deep down she suspected it was utter nonsense. But we flew to Melbourne, spent the night seeing the sights and having a few cold ones then got up bright and early the next day for this life changing weekend. We walk in take a seat and get told that you cant sit with anyone you know but you also cant talk to the kid you are next to unless it is part of the exercise. Weird! But anyway I sit down next to this other guy who I think is cute and matt raises an eye at me & the guy in charge tells him you cant make faces or gesticulate. I am beginning to think this guy in charge is something of a tool. It is sad cause he is really cute in a muscular American black guy sort of way. But his voice sounds like something from a late night telemarketer tv show. I soon feel really sleepy & I need the ladies bad. We aren’t allowed to go to the loo till the designated break period though.   Damn Dave for buying all that beer! I tried to think of something else when trainer dude came right up to me and said that if he wanted to he could overpower me. It was pretty creepy. I didn’t think this was allowed. Just like a catholic school retreat my arse I thought. Just as I was wondering what to do Dave tapped him on the shoulder and said

Nobody threatens my little sister mate

Matt echoed yeah in a less confident voice.

The trainer asked whether getting violent would be a working choice dave said they should step outside and see. I should add that this guy was a lot bigger than my brothers.

The trainer then backed down and said it was good that they had chosen to defend their little sister and life is about choices blah blah. At the toilet break we said we were leaving and the trainer said it was for the best & that our dad would not get a refund cause we were a disgrace.

The boys went to the footy that afternoon & I think I just went to bed. My dad never made us go again
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Re: Landmark forum
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:56:18 AM »
Wow. Landmark/Lifespring/Lifestep - and what ever deceptive title WWASPS is using these days for the seminars - and it is always just the same.  Anyone else notice the description of the man who threatened the girl with "over-powering" - is this not eerily akin to Karen Lyle's experience with a very similar type dude?  Could it be the same man - do they purposefully pick large black men to make this threat?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:58:48 AM »
perhaps large intimidating men, who are small in less apparent ways, are attracted to this kind of profession!

:seg:

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:03:52 AM »
I thought it was pretty dim of the guy to pick on the only girl there with her brothers. What did the dumb fuck think any girls brothers would do?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:53:59 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out the context of that idiot saying that. Does each day begin with an arm-wrestling contest?

Wouldn't surprise me.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »
I loved the part where the kid offered to step out front to the facilitator. That seriously made me laugh, alot, and very loudly.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 06:36:28 AM »
Quote from: "try another castle"
I'm still trying to figure out the context of that idiot saying that. Does each day begin with an arm-wrestling contest?

Wouldn't surprise me.

no but there is this thing in some of these forums where the guy will go up to a woman and suggest that he could have his way with her if it worked for him. I am not sure why. Something to do with there not being a right or wrong. 2 wwasp parents described it online once. It was what made them take their kid and run for the hills.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 10:08:41 AM »
I assume it is largely about creating intimidation and extrem mental discomfort and confusion.  The facilitator is counting on the sheep like quality common to human beings. They sit quietly while he threatens rape right in front of them b/c everyone else is sitting quietly. But in their heads they are Fukkt. They are anxious and confused; and they may also feel weak and guilty as they sit quietly through this - all of which helps soften up their sense of self and weaken their personal values - which is required if your intent is to destroy them and implant your own.

Naturally, what the victim feels may be far more extreme than the crowd in general. I would suppose this is simply considered an unfortunate necessity.  My guess is it is not unlike the way the program tends to pick one kid to torment unmercifully. Examples: Layne Brown, Stephen Fredricson, Colby Welsch - these are a few I am aware of, whose names I can recall. There always seems to be that one kid who is treated with a much greater degree of brutality.  Their suffering is far worse than the larger crowd's, but every kid in the program is aware of it - and it causes in them the same kind of anxiety, fear and guilt (tho to a far greater degree) as the seminars - and for the same reason. That one kid is a throw away - an unfortunate but required ingredient to the success of the process; easily explained away as falling through that "acceptable window of loss".  So likewise the woman who is threatened with rape in front of a silent crowd.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 01:27:39 PM »
Merciless. Sadistic. Self-serving.

No one should be treated this way.

We have laws on the books that make it illegal for children to bully one another, but in programs it is considered acceptable--"therapeutic" even, fagawdssake.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.