Author Topic: how do we know Mel Wasserman was involved with Synanon?  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
how do we know Mel Wasserman was involved with Synanon?
« on: April 10, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
I am not saying he is not, but I need to know what sort of evidence we have for this

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline wild thing

• View Profile
Re: how do we know Mel Wasserman was involved with Synanon?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »
I do know that Delia Albertoni and Jim Powell were both ex-synnanoites...overheard them talking about it and it majorly creeped me out!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:37:20 PM »
Quote from: "wild thing"
I do know that Delia Albertoni and Jim Powell were both ex-synnanoites...overheard them talking about it and it majorly creeped me out!

Might that be the same James Powell who just became the new Clinical Director at Benchmark?

• 15 years as Clinical Director of CEDU Running Springs (1988-2003)
  • Private Practice in Orange, CA (1977-1987)
  • Clinical Director of Brea Neuropsychiatric Hospital in Brea, CA (1977-1987 or portion thereof)
  • Longtime personal and business relationship with Jayne Longnecker (Benchmark)
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 01:18:32 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"

Might that be the same James Powell who just became the new Clinical Director at Benchmark?

• 15 years as Clinical Director of CEDU Running Springs (1988-2003)
  • Private Practice in Orange, CA (1977-1987)
  • Clinical Director of Brea Neuropsychiatric Hospital in Brea, CA (1977-1987 or portion thereof)
  • Longtime personal and business relationship with Jayne Longnecker (Benchmark)
I would laugh my ass off if that is the case.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline wild thing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 01:26:42 PM »
that would be the one and the same...selling the snake oil!  He also has a "consulting" business with Brandi Elliott.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
that would be the one and the same...selling the snake oil!  He also has a "consulting" business with Brandi Elliott.
Yep. I believe they did a lot of referrals for "Friends of CEDU" (financial assistance to keep kids in program). And there was a New Zealand program that he was involved with for a while, no?

From the OP in the thread New Clinical Director @ Benchmark: James Powell:

...In 2004, Dr. Powell established Powell & Elliott Collaborative, an independent company focused on supporting therapeutic schools and programs. Most recently, Dr. Powell served as Clinical Director for an outdoor wilderness program in Northern Idaho.

Anyone know which wilderness program that last sentence refers to?

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Bill Lane is another long-time Wasserman associate who was also at Synanon. He used to do "transport" for CEDU for many years, and then went into business for himself.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 04:02:43 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Yep. I believe they did a lot of referrals for "Friends of CEDU" (financial assistance to keep kids in program). And there was a New Zealand program that he was involved with for a while, no?

From the OP in the thread New Clinical Director @ Benchmark: James Powell:

...In 2004, Dr. Powell established Powell & Elliott Collaborative, an independent company focused on supporting therapeutic schools and programs. Most recently, Dr. Powell served as Clinical Director for an outdoor wilderness program in Northern Idaho.

Anyone know which wilderness program that last sentence refers to?

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Bill Lane is another long-time Wasserman associate who was also at Synanon. He used to do "transport" for CEDU for many years, and then went into business for himself.

so we know he was at Synanon, so far, because people have heard his freinds talking about how they used to be at Synanon? Anything else?

Offline Loli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 04:58:33 PM »
I think there is a thread from way back that addresses this more definitely.  Might have to do with the Charles E. Dederich University thing, too. (CEDU)  I don't know if that is one of the lost threads after Fornits fell off cyberia. Some threads were not resurrected. Thought there was a graph/timeline, too.

Psy? Do you remember?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 05:22:12 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
so we know he was at Synanon, so far, because people have heard his freinds talking about how they used to be at Synanon? Anything else?

Try using the search function for CEDU and Synanon.  There is lots already written on this topic.  Check ISACcorp's website as well.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 05:38:46 PM »
As far as I can tell, Wasserman at one time "sponsored" some kids from Synanon; what "sponsoring" entailed, I do not know. A number of people who worked at CEDU were also originally from Synanon, and I am sure that was no accident. Wasserman picked up a little from here and a little from there to create his "vision," and input from staff was apparently an integral part of that.

As far as Wasserman personally spending time at Synanon, I don't know. I wouldn't rule it out, just as I wouldn't rule out his covering up the original source for some of his material in order to appear more "innovative."

The Synanon hustle of hitting up businesses for donations of materials and supplies that would be later re-sold to support cult upkeep, was the exact same CEDU hustle that was used to keep Wasserman projects afloat.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 06:01:39 PM »
If you've got the time you can triangulate here
http://www.synanon.org/Synanon/Museum/TimeLineH.cfm

didn't synanon advocate name changing? I couldn't find james powell or Delia Albertoni  but I did find Dolores Cavallaro and Jimmy Middleton. Triangulate long enough and you'll find it.

http://www.synanon.org/Synanon/Museum/P ... m?PID=3533

The quotes page made me puke up chunks of cherry coated halibut morsels
http://www.synanon.org/Synanon/Museum/Quotes.cfm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »
Quote from: "dishdutyfugitive"
If you've got the time you can triangulate here
http://www.synanon.org/Synanon/Museum/TimeLineH.cfm

didn't synanon advocate name changing? I couldn't find james powell or Delia Albertoni  but I did find Dolores Cavallaro and Jimmy Middleton. Triangulate long enough and you'll find it.

http://www.synanon.org/Synanon/Museum/P ... m?PID=3533

The quotes page made me puke up chunks of cherry coated halibut morsels
http://www.synanon.org/Synanon/Museum/Quotes.cfm

Thank you. You think there enough evidence to legally prove the man was a Synanite?

(Anyone notice the similarity of the sound of Synanite to "Cenobite"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellraiser
Then there's the similarities in their "modalities" and their intention to transform through pain. Funny Coincidence.)

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 11:50:42 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Thank you. You think there enough evidence to legally prove the man was a Synanite?

...Then there's the similarities in their "modalities" and their intention to transform through pain. Funny Coincidence.)
One thing you might want to bear in mind is that Synanon wasn't exactly the first therapeutic community. TCs as a way of group management, addiction treatment, behavior modification, etc. had been around for at least two decades by the time Synanon was started by Chuckie D.

And it wasn't exactly froo-froo feel-good hippie commune stuff either. Lloyd McCorkle was already publishing papers on its efficacy in eliciting cooperative behavior in prison populations and juvenile reformatories as early as 1949 and 1958, respectively.

The earliest reference that I have been able to find re. intentional Rap Session environments are the Northbridge Experiments in the UK, the first one of which was in 1939. Northbridge was a military Psychiatric Hospital. The point of that "experiment" was to get the men back on the battlefield (instead of going home on sick leave) during the Second World War.

Think about it: just what level of thought reform do you have to resort to, in order to get soldiers -- already shell-shocked by the effects of war -- back into the game of killing the enemy?