Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > CAN ~ Collective Action Network

Mom of H.S. dropout needs help, not condemnation

<< < (3/3)

Che Gookin:
I'd be real upfront with her and treat like the adult she happens to be. I'd tell her she has the choice of getting into school full time or going to work full time if she wants to stay at home.

I know you feel guilt about your daughter in a program but keeping her around the house longer isn't going to help her out any. I'm not advising you leave her homeless either. Find a happy middle ground an ease her out of the house and let her go. It sounds to me like the real problem here isn't her but you.

I know.. odd.. she's the one without a job and is planning on getting a GED, and the problem is you?

Well think of it this way... First and foremost she's a human being. Stop looking at her like she's a victim. If you keep looking at her like she's a victim you'll keep treating her like she incapable of accomplishing anything on her own. Sure being in a TBS probably didn't help but many people on this forums have gotten jobs, gotten college degrees, and have families after getting out of a TBS.

We have one story about a program veteran who escaped from Peninsula Village(a hellish place) and is now married with a family and has finished college.

Keep in mind two things though:

1) She is your daughter and like all daughters she will need a great deal of encouragement and love.
2) When discussing this with her you do not need to resort to making ultimatums. I suggest taking the time to talk to her and getting her to make her own plans. Tell her that no matter what you'll be her mum, but in the end she has a life to live. You'll need to help her out with that, but she definitely needs to live it on her own.

let the girl go..

It'll be tough for her at first, but that is your job to help her along the way.

Deprogrammed:

--- Quote from: "FemanonFatal2.0" ---Im sorry Im not gonna answer you twice. as well, just because this forum claims to be moderated wont stop people from insulting you for your choice to send your kid to a program. not sure if you noticed but this forum is frequented by anti program people and even the mods of this sub forum would bash you for your decisions. If anything YOU would be considered the troll.
--- End quote ---

Easy, cowgirl!

-DP :timeout:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version