Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > CAN ~ Collective Action Network

Mom of H.S. dropout needs help, not condemnation

(1/3) > >>

wonderwoman2112:
Hello to all---I recently posted on the Open Free For All forum. Boy, what a mistake that was!!!!  After searching the site, I found this forum that is moderated and I would like to re-post here in hopes of getting some genuine help.  If you feel the need to berate me, please do so on the Open Free For all forum.  I am truly looking for some help. Here is my original post:

Hi to all---I am tying to help my daughter find the right path and we are just so stuck. She is 18 and did not finish high school, although the plan is for her to get her GED in the next month. She has certainly had a non-traditional teenage experience---wilderness (which she loved, by the way), TBS (which she hated and didn't finish), living on her own at age 17 and working to support herself. She moved back home with us 6 months ago, but she has not been able to move forward in any positive direction. She is very "artsy" and has always wanted to go to art school. She had begun a portfolio 2 yrs ago, and although small, it is good. She really does want to go to college, but the whole "h.s dropout" thing is a huge regret of hers and I think she is really scared to even try for fear of rejection. I am hoping that some of you have had similar experiences and found community colleges, art schools, or even traditional colleges that embraced your non-traditional path. She will need a fairly nurturing and supportive environment as she needs a lot of positive reinforcement. I would be so thankful for any thoughts any of you might share. THANK YOU!!!

FemanonFatal2.0:
Im sorry Im not gonna answer you twice. as well, just because this forum claims to be moderated wont stop people from insulting you for your choice to send your kid to a program. not sure if you noticed but this forum is frequented by anti program people and even the mods of this sub forum would bash you for your decisions. If anything YOU would be considered the troll.

Oscar:
As I have posted in the other thread, I believe that the fact that she had problems taking a high school degree and also failed to move forward are caused by her suffering for a form of PTSD as result of her stay at the TBS.

I have not attended a high school in the states but having a businesses degree I know a little about student culture in several countries. She is institutionalized and will function well in a restricted environment. But both high school and college are not restricted enough.

PTSD is difficult to heal. She needs to snap out of it and she cannot be forced. It has to be her doing.

That's why I suggested to give her a stay in an safe environment where people of all agegroups collect successes in another culture.

If you insist of pushing her and stressing her after she has taken the GED without giving her a out of the box experience, I fear that she is set up to fail.

wonderwoman2112:

--- Quote from: "FemanonFatal2.0" ---Im sorry Im not gonna answer you twice. as well, just because this forum claims to be moderated wont stop people from insulting you for your choice to send your kid to a program. not sure if you noticed but this forum is frequented by anti program people and even the mods of this sub forum would bash you for your decisions. If anything YOU would be considered the troll.
--- End quote ---

You "bashers" have nothing to offer other than just that---bashing.  There are thousands of parents out there, myself one, who got suckered into the whole TBS thing and regret it mightily.  So how do we get past it and help our kids now if the only responses we get are condemnations.  It's ya'll that don't have these kids well-being at heart---you just want to bash away at Mom and Dad. Well, Mom and Dad are painfully aware of the mistakes they made. It's obvious you have no true feeling for the kids involved, or else you would offer constructive advice.

inc:
[quote="I am hoping that some of you have had similar experiences and found community colleges, art schools, or even traditional colleges that embraced your non-traditional path. She will need a fairly nurturing and supportive environment as she needs a lot of positive reinforcement. I would be so thankful for any thoughts any of you might share. THANK YOU!!![/quote]

This seems to be the only question in your post. I don't know where you live, but this forum is viewed by people from all over the world - are you really going to ship your kid off to another "supportive environment" suggested by a stranger on a forum? If you seriously want to help your child, I would suggest letting her discover her own path in life, the school she wants to go to, etc... and supporting her on her decision. If you are genuine about wanting to help your daughter, I would also suggest spending quality time with her, rather than talking about her on a forum with people who have been through hell in programs that you seem to regard with a lighthearted attitude.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version