Author Topic: from struggling teens forum  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
from struggling teens forum
« on: March 31, 2009, 03:55:47 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this school? It is very far from me and difficult for me to get to but it is oneo of the ones recommended by my EC and from the website, it looks wonderful. Of course, I will visit first and visit some others.

It is interesting where this process has taken me. Initially, I was thinking of Swift River Academy or Carlbrook. I wanted something that would be almost like a traditional boarding school but with the therapeutic componenent. Then, after my son was doing so well at ALE, I was thinking of just an interim placement like Summit Achievement, to get him through the spring and summer with a traditional boarding school for September for his senior year.

Now, I have come to understand that his addiction to marijuana was quite serious and his currently personality (able to charm his way out of ever doing any work or taking responsibility) is very tied in to addictive qualities. If he does not change his current way of operating and thinking, he will have a very high chance of going back to the substance abuse. His counsellor at ALE has recommended a program with a strong substance abuse counsellor or component and a character building/community service aspect to help him learn a work ethic and new ways to operate. So a "traditional" prep school is not really in the cards.

I guess I have to admit that if he were loving the school, the chances of him making any real change would be small. I suppose he does have to be outside of his comfort zone and challenged on a different level in order to attain new coping skills. Which is why In Balance was recommended.   :beat: Any comments would be most appreciated. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: from struggling teens forum
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 06:49:30 PM »
Mind showing us the rest of the replies and a few other topics as well? It's been a while since we had a big ST dump and I need to evacuate my system.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »