Author Topic: What is the difference between these terms?!  (Read 864 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What is the difference between these terms?!
« on: March 26, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »
Therapeutic boarding school
Specialty boarding school
Residential treatment center
Behavior modification facility

As far as I am aware, these are all exactly the same but it appears that, no, they are subtly (or maybe majorly) differently somehow, can anyone explain how?  I think specialty boarding school would imply less therapy-based "therapy'.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Re: What is the difference between these terms?!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:07:34 PM »
Therapeutic Boarding School - the term is invented in the United States. I am not sure but I figure that NATSAP invented it for their organization. Opposite RTC's they should focus on education, but lack of federal standards means that you can teach kindergarten stuff to high school students and still call it a TBS.

*Specialty boarding school. We have one in Nyborg in Denmark for kids suffering from hearing problems. It doesn't work very well because the staff don't want to learn sign language as some type of disabilities are regarded as shameful. They don't offer therapy but special education targeted against specific problems.

Residential treatment center. Can be like a TBS but the focus is on treatment rather than  education. Some RTC's dont offer education at all.

Behavior modification facility. Can be anything between a boot camp and a Christian boarding school or a Koran School as long as there is roof over the head of the detainees.

As long as ther is no guidelines regarding the amount of education contra treatment, you cannot tell the difference between the various type of facilities. The facilities can call themselves what they like.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:31:18 PM »
all of these terms are euphemisms. the sole fact that a school has to euphemize a term for themselves should make you think twice.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:15:53 PM »
"Specialty boarding schools" is also a catch-all term when a place doesn't fit in well with any of the other categories. It is also used by some programs who don't want to be associated with other programs for marketing reasons, e.g., a program that employs LGAT and psychological behavior modification tools in a therapy context, yet doesn't want to be known as a TBS.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:21:50 PM »
I also thought RTCs generally have some lockup component, either the entire program or a frequently used partition thereof. But maybe I was wrong.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
Quote from: "aperson"
Therapeutic boarding school
Specialty boarding school
Residential treatment center
Behavior modification facility

As far as I am aware, these are all exactly the same but it appears that, no, they are subtly (or maybe majorly) differently somehow, can anyone explain how?  I think specialty boarding school would imply less therapy-based "therapy'.

Same shit different name.  They swap em around as legislation catches up so they can avoid regulation.  It also helps keep up with marketing trends.  "speciality boarding schools" is the term WWASP is going after now.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)