Author Topic: H.R 6358 and other questions  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
H.R 6358 and other questions
« on: March 26, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Hey you all! I must write an English paper with debatable discussion....7 pages. I have decided to write on Coercive thought reform used in Teen behavior modification programs and how it can lead to extreme consequences. My teacher has the typical view..."But some kids need it." I about hit the floor! And exclaimed, "Do kids really deserve the possibility of a Life sentence for minor offenses??!" She just looked at me really confused.. I'm pretty opinionated about this topic, as many of you know, But I need some help. I read about HR6358 and am still confused about how this bill will help kids in programs disguised as "specialty schools". Also, any fairly objective resources would be appreciated. I have to have 10 resources by Monday, and figured this would be a good place to ask. (Yes, I have found some on my own! But maybe I am overlooking something, or some point that I need to include for us as survivors. My paper will be written from an argumentative essay format. I will argue for the right's of kids and expose the facts about coercive thought reform.

I finally made it to college! My employer gave me a full scholarship to receive my Nursing degree. At my age, it seems like a long road.. But people just don't realize how much a traumatic experience like Straight will affect someones life. It took a long 18 or so years just to get where I should of been at 18. The struggle to conform to social norms is a bit tough for me, but the means will justify the end. (In this case) Conformity has never been natural for me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: H.R 6358 and other questions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:30:29 PM »
Hey Withdraw! Look at her limited view as challenging (instead of the pain in the arse it probably is)!

You could demonstrate the derivative progression with ye ol' Flow Chart of the Straights:

http://thestraights.com/the-straights/t ... hts-fc.htm

:rocker:  :timeout:    :wall: :rasta:

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 04:38:05 PM »
Hey you! Good thinking =) Thanks!

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:27:42 PM »
Actually HR 6358 has been dropped and a new one, HR 911 has been adopted. It passed the house but is currently sitting in the senate... try doing some research on the new bill.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:12:58 PM »
Great! Thanks!

Ok, am I understanding it right? Does this HR911 bill only include regulations for programs who claim to focus on children with emotional and behavior issues? What about the programs disguised as "schools"? Is there still no way to regulate them as residential behavior modification programs? Sorry, I've been out of this loop for a few years. And what does it mean to include only programs that contribute to interstate commerce?

On another note, I am glad to see it enforces a policy for a hot line for complaints. And that an separate party is to review the complaints.

Another thing, I am having a hard time finding the book.. An American Gulag. Never read it.. Any ideas if the book would be helpful as a fairly objective or informative resource? I have Maia's book, had to get it at the library.. B0rder$ didn't carry it here.

Anyone know of any other paper published resource? It's actually a difficult subject to find at the local library, LOL.

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:49:58 PM »
I think that it has been agreed upon that the bill does have a few cracks that some abusive facilities may be able to fall through. I think a few issues that are not addressed is the religious facilities, which in some cases can be worse and the facilities hiding under the guise of "specialty boarding schools". I think the "teeth" of this bill really rely on the 3rd party agency responsible for enforcing regulation, it is up to them who really slips through the cracks and who doesn't. Some of us feel that passing a law like this without safeguarding against loopholes (or gaping holes that EVERY facility can slip through) that this bill could actually do more harm than good. For instance the existence of a bill without proper regulation can only serve as a false sense of security for parents who would otherwise be wary of the reputation of RTC's in the past. This false hope could actually encourage enrollment and greatly work against our efforts to inform the public.

I'm personally worried that because this federal bill allows states to set up their own agencies, for instance nothing would stop certain states from hiring staff who are affiliated with the programs. I am also worried about these agents not knowing what to look for when they are called to investigate a facility. My hope is that survivors will be hired to these agencies, I for one would like to work with my states agency. All of this however is contingent upon getting that bill passed... so at this point its all speculation as to what kind of effect this bill will really have on the industry.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 12:20:31 AM »
These BAD programs don't need regulation, they need to be closed and the owners held accountable. Giving them a free pass to stay open is not cool at all. If anything, Congress should do a RICO sweep of ALL programs. It's simple... We don't need more regulations that allow these BAD programs to remain open. It's a shame that survivors actually support this bill. No teeth, no bill. Put some really big teeth in it and I might reconsider. You gotta figure that the government is part of the problem. It's a complete conflict of interest.  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 10:41:43 AM »
...Straight was founded in 1976 and needed startup money but it was still too risky to approach NIDA for funds as much had been made in the newspapers about NIDA's relationship to The Seed. It was a certainty that NIDA would have to ask Straight parents and their children to sign human consent forms acknowledging that their kids were participating in a medical experiment. But LEAA had not been setup to fund programs involved in human experimentation. True, LEAA Administrator Santarelli had held a news conference one year before announcing the cancellation of all LEAA funding for medical research, psycho surgery, and behavior modification because, in his words, there "are no technical skills on the staff to screen, evaluate, or monitor such projects."

But that had been a year ago and Senator Ervin had retired just after the his report was published. So Straight went to LEAA in 1976 and again in 1977 and got two startup grants for $50,000 each. And that is how the US government continued to be involved in financing a program that uses brainwashing on American children. And that is how the US government funded Straight in such a high-handed way as to avoid the use of human consent forms; namely since LEAA was not chartered to do medical research, it had no policy for human consent forms anyway!

Thus unless or until some external party could put two and two together, there was really no one around who could expose the duplicity except for LEAA and perhaps NIDA or the Office of the White House Drug Czar. LEAA was not about to expose the deal because it was in violation of director Santarelli's moratorium. That leaves NIDA and the Office of White House Drug Czar. Around 1978 NIDA's director Robert DuPont left NIDA and became a paid Straight consultant. For four years Art Barker had tried to make his Seed program a national program. But he had failed because he had been exposed for conducting human experimentation. His expansion programs in Florida were in shambles. And out of the shambles came Straight, Inc. Dr. DuPont has stated in deposition that it was he who had suggested to Straight that it go national. Straight went national and became the largest juvenile drug rehabilitation program in the world--and one of the most destructive...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 12:12:31 PM »
Hmm, interesting point out that passing any bills encourages programs to continue to run. I think I want to point that out in my paper.

Although my experience was in Straight.. I intend on showing the evolution of programs to the current ones and how the model is still abusive and damaging.

Ok, I have class.. Thanks for the input! Keep it coming, It's a huge help. I've been having trouble focusing my points ^.~

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »
okay, you spoke to your teacher about the "life sentence." by this you mean the damage done. i think this is a good way to focus your paper. first, tell what "coercive thought reform" and the other terms you might be using mean. then, point by point, you show how a program, or several programs, are definable by the terms. then, you have to tell what it does to people. where these scientific studies are, i am not sure. the other resource you have, which you could use to back up any studies you find, is first person accounts by any survivors you know. there is a way to put first person interviews into a bibliography. i think it would be worthy to use, as robert j lifton did for "thought reform and the psychology of totalism," full names. the point is, your information has to be sourced. i am somewhat aces at english composition, and would be more than happy to proof your paper. i look forward to reading it if you wish to share! will send a pm at some point.

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 06:29:43 PM »
Looks like I need to include:
1) brief history of the toughlove movement and the rise of toughlove programs. define coercive thought reform and behavior modification, and then connect those with the term Cult.
2) Describe the Straight model and it's evolution to other names (same program) and ~~DFAF to AARC? *Did the traditional Straight model end w/ KHK/Pathway? Or is it in full use currently? I'm a little confused if Pathway/KHK are still operating.
3) How do I connect the straight model with any current specialty schools and wilderness programs? And does anyone have an idea what kind of documentation I could use? (Having trouble here...)
4) Show how behavior modification can de-construct a kids self identity and self image. And how it can teach kids to abuse others in order to achieve group acceptance.  (Give examples of specific abuses/techniques are used throughout many differently named and advertised programs and the possible effects these techniques can have.)
5) Show the desire of the survivor communities and some psychological communities to have laws which regulate programs or laws which prohibit these types of programs from operating at all, by providing examples of suggested Bills, first hand accounts, and professional research papers.

Ok, I know the political aspect of all of this is very important, but I am not certain I want to include it. I feel the only way to give that part of topic total justice would be to start from the synanon and work all the way till now.. Which would encompass a ton of pages.. Geesh, There is so much information.. but is it all scattered about. Even on Wes's site.. I have a hard time muttling through it all.

ps: sorry, I know this isn't an english lesson. LOL. I really appreciate the help.
Oh! today I was chatting w/ my Biology professor.. and mentioned Straight Inc.. he stopped and said. "Oh, wow. You must suffer from PTSD. I have read about that place." I just stood and looked at him, totally  taken by surprise.. OMG a random educated adult who had at some point in his 65yr life taken the time to just know about Straight. Amazing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »
There are a fair number of programs which predate Straight. Don't know how involved you want this paper to be..

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
Quote from: "Froddy's Dingleberry"
These BAD programs don't need regulation, they need to be closed and the owners held accountable. Giving them a free pass to stay open is not cool at all. If anything, Congress should do a RICO sweep of ALL programs. It's simple... We don't need more regulations that allow these BAD programs to remain open. It's a shame that survivors actually support this bill. No teeth, no bill. Put some really big teeth in it and I might reconsider. You gotta figure that the government is part of the problem. It's a complete conflict of interest.  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:

Think of it this way... although this may not be the be all end all solution it is an important step. If the standards are set and enforced by law we set the stage for those that violate those laws to be held (without any question) legally accountable. It will also set up an authority that has the power to gain access into these programs, start investigations, press charges and close down the programs that we all already know are abusive. Yes it will take time but I personally think taking the first steps are important in order to work toward the goal. As is, without this bill we have no authority and our only means of bringing these programs to justice is trying to sue... I just feel that passing this bill will give us an "in" so to speak, because at the very least creating a government agency prepared to handle this issue is far more than we would be able to do on our own.

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 07:39:43 PM »
Good point. My problem is becoming interestingly clear. It is easy for me to focus on Straight and all of it's forms.. pre-straight and post straight. Especially now, I am watching the episode about AARC. Wow, It is the straight model. I did read about the connection between Vause and miller and Union alternative college etc. So, Dang.. There it is in all it's horrifying glory.. Straight Inc. Turned AARC.

Guess I'll be thinking more on how to connect the dots between the SynaSeedStraKidPathAARC model and the "specialty schools like ? WWASPs and ??(see I just don't know enough about them) How are ~they like ~us? Sigh, it's been so long since I indulged myself in this stuff. The memories are haunting. *again*

Geesh, Where have I been ~lost out here in the society that doesn't talk about institutionalized child abuse. ~America's dirty little secret~

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 09:35:45 PM »
Quote from: "Withdraw"
Guess I'll be thinking more on how to connect the dots between the SynaSeedStraKidPathAARC model and the "specialty schools like ? WWASPs and ??(see I just don't know enough about them) How are ~they like ~us?

Well I went to 2 WWASP programs and I have until recently moderated a strictly WWASP school forum, I can give you an overview if you want to chat on AIM.

Ill tell you this, the difference is mainly that the WWASP programs hire an outside resource to do the brainwashing where as, If I'm not mistaken Straight and their clones tend to do it in house.