Author Topic: Ocotmom  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Ocotmom
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:31:22 AM »
Anyone else as pissed off as I am about this shit??  Ya got 6 kids that you can't take care of and you get the bright idea to go out and have 8 more???  What kind of a selfish moron do you have to be?

This was in the paper this morning the part in red seemed odd to me (among the obvious that is odd in this bizarre situation)

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/med ... 986556.ece

Amid ire over octuplets, don't expect repeat in Tampa Bay area

By Leonora LaPeter Anton, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dr. Marc Bernhisel coaches women who want so desperately to get pregnant they are willing to risk using too many embryos during in-vitro fertilization.

At $13,000 per attempt, most patients want to improve the odds anyway they can. But Bern­hisel, director of IVF at the Reproductive Medicine Group, must get them to pull back.

The outrage about Nadya Suleman and her in-vitro octuplets has led to a bill in the Georgia Legislature and a general feeling of unease at infertility clinics, as doctors and patients wonder if government regulation could one day limit their options.

So far no similar bill limiting the number of embryos a doctor can transfer has been introduced in Florida. Around the Tampa Bay area, statistics show that doctors like Bernhisel have been carefully regulating themselves for some time. The number of multiple births is on the decline, and so is the number of embryos used in the process.

Bernhisel and other Florida fertility doctors say they try to use no more than two embryos in women under 37. In-vitro fertilization works so well now that there is a movement to reduce the number of embryos used to just one. These days, some doctors consider triplets and even twins a fertility treatment failure, because they increase health risks to mother and babies.

"It's nice to think about having twins for the Christmas pictures," Bernhisel said, "but really the safety of the pregnancy is better if you do it with one embryo."

In in-vitro fertilization, doctors harvest multiple eggs and fertilize them in a petri dish, hoping to create one or more high-quality embryos. Not all of the eggs fertilize, and not all of the embryos are viable, which makes the process impossible to control precisely. Women sometimes end up with no embryos, while others have more than they need to become pregnant. The extras are discarded, used in research or frozen for future attempts.

Doctors decide how many embryos to transfer to the uterus based on a number of factors, including the woman's age and reproductive history.

Angela Stuecher was 33 when she went to the Reproductive Medicine Group for help getting pregnant. Her doctor told her she should receive two embryos.

"There was no discussion," said Stuecher, now 38 and a surgical nurse at the practice. "It was, 'This is what we will put back in at most.' "

Stuecher got pregnant with a boy, now 4, on her first IVF attempt. Later, her doctor transferred two frozen embryos and she got pregnant again with her second son, now 2.

Now doctors at the Reproductive Medicine Group say transferring just one embryo often produces the same results as using two.

Success rates have improved so much, women under 35 who went through IVF using one embryo got pregnant 80 percent of the time in 2007 and 2008. Those women were good candidates for single-embryo use because they had high-quality embryos or used donor eggs. Ten years ago, women used more embryos and got pregnant only 30 percent of the time.

The Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology has guidelines on the number of embryos doctors should transfer. Ten years ago, they recommended three in women under 35. Today, they suggest two. Soon it could be one, said Sean Tipton, spokesperson for the organization.

"This is not a cookbook; it's the practice of medicine," Tipton said. "But the reason we started having guidelines was to reduce the number of high multiple births."

• • •

The octomom backlash has begun. Legislators in Missouri are seeking to make doctors follow the guidelines of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology. The Georgia bill, drafted in part by Georgia Right to Life, contained language that limited the number of embryos placed in a woman, banned compensation for donor sperm or eggs, and eliminated stem cell research using leftover embryos. A watered-down version passed the Georgia Senate last week.

Here in Florida, nothing so far. Fertility doctors and lawyers hope it stays that way.

"The eight babies? This is one episode with one particular doctor," said Robert Terenzio, an Orlando lawyer who handles reproductive cases. "I think every reproductive doctor in the country is cringing because this doctor chose to operate well outside the guidelines."

Fertility clinics report pregnancy rates and the number of embryos they transfer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Florida's 28 reporting clinics averaged between two and three fresh embryos in women under 35 in 2007. In older women or women who experienced repeat failures, just three clinics transferred an average of four. Most used two or three — all within the industry's norms.

"Our goal is to have a single healthy baby," said Dr. Catherine Cowart, a Tampa fertility doctor. "We understand, however, that when people are paying over $10,000 out of pocket, very often they want to stack the odds in their favor. The physician has to not succumb to that kind of pressure."

Nationally and locally, multiple births have steadily declined over a five-year period. Florida mothers who got pregnant with IVF had 2,418 children and gave birth to multiple children 48 percent of the time in 2005 — down from 54 percent in 2001.

The Reproductive Medicine Group, the largest fertility practice in the Tampa Bay area with offices in Tampa, Brandon and Clearwater, has seen a 2 percentage point decline in twins and triplets in one year. There were no quadruplets or higher multiples, which are extremely rare in IVF.

Much of that decline has come from doctors and patients discussing the risks, said Dr. Timothy Yeko.

"They're listening now more carefully."

Times researcher Shirl Kennedy contributed to this report. Leonora LaPeter Anton can be reached at [email protected] or 727-893-8640.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: Ocotmom
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »
What I dont understand is how a parent would have enough of a lack of foresight to spend all this money on in vitro, and then be left with nothing to take care of them. fucking stupid irresponsible bitch.

I personally think that when people apply for in vitro, their finances should be investigated (the same way that you have to fill out an eval app for medicaid every year, to determine if you are still eligible.)

In addition, we are people, not dogs. People are not meant to have litters.

Which is why I dont refer to this person as octomom. I just call her dogmom.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:09:55 PM »
Dogmom....much more apt descriptor.

Saw this in regards to the Duggars.  It's been around a while, but still true.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:11:35 PM »
I think she just believed it was Gods will for her to have all these children.  She didn’t want the final embryos to be destroyed so she had them all put in and leave it in Gods hands.  She depleted all the money she had to undergo fertility treatments but on the up side she is fortunate to be in America with the great safety net we have.  She will receive a healthy sum each month when welfare adds up all her dependents.  Payments she receives from Jay Leno type appearances can be paid to a trust in the kids names so that she can still continue to collect from the government.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 12:27:20 PM »
Quote from: "Squirts Ink"
I think she just believed it was Gods will for her to have all these children. She didn’t want the final embryos to be destroyed so she had them all put in and leave it in Gods hands.

Oh no!  Can't interfere with God's plan!!  What the fuck do they think they're doing by tinkering with the pipes in the first place?  Fucking hypocrites.

She depleted all the money she had to undergo fertility treatments but on the up side she is fortunate to be in America with the great safety net we have.  She will receive a healthy sum each month when welfare adds up all her dependents.  Payments she receives from Jay Leno type appearances can be paid to a trust in the kids names so that she can still continue to collect from the government.

::puke::

She just "fired" Angels in Waiting....the group that was providing nursing care.  Fired them for "spying" on her.  

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29843637/??dumbass

LOS ANGELES - Octuplets mother Nadya Suleman has fired a nonprofit group of nurses that helped care for her children, accusing the group of spying on her and reporting her to child welfare officials, her spokesman said Monday.

Suleman attorney Jeff Czech said the relationship started badly between Suleman and Angels in Waiting, which has been training nannies paid by Suleman at the family’s La Habra home.

Last month an attorney for Angels in Waiting filed a complaint against Suleman with child welfare officials, seeking an investigation into whether the mother could provide a suitable environment for her 14 children.

Suleman later had several confrontations with the nurses, Czech said, and the situation grew unbearable Sunday when Suleman came to believe that Angels in Waiting founder Linda West-Conforti was allegedly filing a report against her with child welfare officials.

“It started out adversarial and never really resolved itself,” Czech told The Associated Press. “Nadya felt that she was being judged wrongfully and she didn’t need it. All it did was make a difficult situation worse.”

Czech did not detail the complaint and lawyer Gloria Allred, who represents the nurses’ group, refused comment Monday, saying more details will be released Tuesday.

A call to the Orange County Department of Children and Family Services was not immediately returned, but child welfare cases are typically kept private to protect the identities of the children involved.

Angels in Waiting had initially offered to provide around-the-clock care, to be paid for by public donations, but later scaled back its offer to only provide training to Suleman’s nannies. Suleman has said the offer was changed because the group wasn’t receiving donations, but Allred has denied that claim.

Czech said that Suleman will have her nannies trained by nurses from the Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center, where the octuplets were born on Jan. 26. Hospitals provide some training free of charge to new mothers. A call to Kaiser seeking detail of their program was not immediately returned.

Four of the octuplets are home from the hospital, and Suleman has six other children.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 12:34:43 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Anyone else as pissed off as I am about this shit??

No, and I'm surprised someone else's choices in life would piss anyone off who doesn't even know them. The media hypes stories and then the ignorant fools at home are sharpening their pitch forks like this Anne person. Try thinking for yourself for once, or go to an anger management class or something.

And don't be like "but... but... but... tax payer money... but she IS bad... but..." beacuse I don't care, and nothing you say will make me care about some woman's life who has some kids. WHO CARES?!

Get a LIFE

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 01:17:34 PM »
Personally, I dont believe in in-vitro, or even fertility drugs.  No offensive to anyone out there who has taken this route, but its not a responsible choice for me.

I completely understand the desire of a woman to bear children of her own.  However if her body is not in agreement, I feel it becomes a selfish enterprise that risks both mother, child, and future generations for genetic viability.  Women are waiting until they are 40 to have children......at a time when their bodies have usually begun to decline in efficiency, whereas I am sure there are some valid intentions behind this, it again speaks to me of selfishness.  Waiting until the last ditch moment to have children so you can extend your time free of the responsibility of a child speaks of a lack of commitment and accountability to me, no matter the reason...career, etc.  I dont think women are ever required to chose to have children...but I feel that if they do want them eventually, they should be ready to sacrifice some part of their autonomy at a time that does not present danger to themselves or the child.

If you walk into a fertility clinic youve left "God" and nature at the front door. It seems the AKC has higher standards for breed excellence than we do.

Octomom is just grotesque in her excessive sense of entitlement.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:30:56 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Anyone else as pissed off as I am about this shit??

No, and I'm surprised someone else's choices in life would piss anyone off who doesn't even know them. The media hypes stories and then the ignorant fools at home are sharpening their pitch forks like this Anne person. Try thinking for yourself for once, or go to an anger management class or something.

And don't be like "but... but... but... tax payer money... but she IS bad... but..." beacuse I don't care, and nothing you say will make me care about some woman's life who has some kids. WHO CARES?!

Get a LIFE

If she was ready and willing to handle all the kids herself then I would agree with you but Octomoms choice has effected everyone.  Who do you think is going to pay for all of her choices?  You are.  It’s the same as the entitled AIG group of asses who are out of touch and still think they are entitled to a juicy bonus after they ran their company into the ground.  Guess you don’t care about that either.  You are just willing to take a small cut in your retirement to help them out rather than address the issue?

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 01:56:52 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"

You care enough to post about how much you don't care.  People seem to spend a lot of time reading and posting in threads about subjects they don't care about.  Hmmmm.

Those of us who pay taxes.  I don't care about her or her life.  I care that her irresponsibility, delusion and selfishness are costing me money.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 01:57:36 PM »
Quote from: "Carmel"
If you walk into a fertility clinic youve left "God" and nature at the front door. It seems the AKC has higher standards for breed excellence than we do.

Octomom is just grotesque in her excessive sense of entitlement.

:notworthy:  :tup:

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 11:41:18 PM »

How cute. People think that the issue is taxpayer money.

Nope. I just fucking hate children, and people shouldn't be having litters of those goddamn disgusting beasts. :P It just increases the chances that I am going to have to deal with at least one of those little idiots when they grow up.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 03:53:06 PM »
Quote from: "try another castle"

How cute. People think that the issue is taxpayer money.

Nope. I just fucking hate children, and people shouldn't be having litters of those goddamn disgusting beasts. :P It just increases the chances that I am going to have to deal with at least one of those little idiots when they grow up.

I knew you were cool, Castle, this just confirms it!  Glad someone finally had the guts to say it.......

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 10:51:06 PM »
This is exactly what is wrong with America (and all 1st world globalization bent countries)

We haven't written laws to address this

She's a pitiful single mom

Let's all get swept up in the emotion of a newborn

Forget reality - we must focus on this degenerate.

We must throw a few million at her.

Fuck
accountability.
honesty
integrity.

Let's carry on, not thinking, let everything ride,  and hum the national anthem - Written between the lines of our constitution is the hemmoraging of all present and future tax dollars.