Author Topic: Cedu from the parents point of view: indoctrination  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cedu from the parents point of view: indoctrination
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:33:57 PM »
OK, can someonw explain to me, how did CEDU indocrtinate parents? Did they ever? As far as I know, there were no "parent meetings"? So how do you end up with someone like Ottawa Anne? Or were there parents meetings? What is told to the parents, as far as you know? From what I know..almost nothing is told to them except: your kid is not ready and need to be here longer.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Cedu from the parents point of view: indoctrination
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:41:47 AM »
Right now, I'm low on time, but I will go for a quick and dirty explanation. Keep in mind, indoctrination was easier simply because we were isolated from not only them, but ALL of our family and friends, with restricted visits and monitored phone calls twice  a month.  Thus, CEDU heavily controlled influence. Second, if a student ever complained about CEDU, the staff would then totally undermine and discredit the student to the parent going as far as to either exaggerate or lie about the student's disclosures or activities. Then, they pull the whole "deadinsaneorinjail" fear tactic so parents would be too afraid of the consequences of leaving CEDU.  Parents were afraid their kids would wind up "deadinsaneorinjail" if they withdrew them. That is what CEDU stressed to them time and time again. It was their Ace in the Hole.

CEDU also looked pretty harmless - Camp CEDU up in the mountains. The brochures were nice. People BELIEVE advertising folks. No one could imagine the accreditation would be bogus. Staff seemed like they really cared.

Also, the staff did not present the reality of of the brain bending, psyche twisting, NON-therapeutic mindfuck of an immersion into raps/propheets.

So - fear, ignorance, and in some cases, apathy.  They just wanted you gone. They didn't really care when, where, or how.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:37:43 PM »
Cedu had parent workshops in the 80s.   There were 4 workshops and they were the precursor to seeing the teenager in placement.  

The workshops were prophet lite. Flavors included: Dreams, Children, Brothers' Keeper ...

Offline Loli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:10:06 PM »
Key word: Propheet Lite. The bullshit schmaltzy lollipop version.  Delivered in a fashion  to make parents feel transcendent and basically catering to egos.  My dad saw right through it and when he questioned it, he was reprimanded.

When I split, he was the one who laid down the law to my mom: she ain't going back.

Shanlea

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:00:19 AM »
I stupidly once tried to ask my mom about it... i.e. CEDU's sales pitch. That quickly devolved into a shouting match with both her and my stepfather yelling at me about how dare I question them and how I deserved to be put there because I was so totally fucked up.

And *these* were the parents who thought the parent workshops were a bunch of shit.

I think when all is said and done, my folks didn't need much help being "indoctrinated". My teenage self was about as much indoctrination that was needed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 05:21:29 PM »
Parent meetings were happening in the early 90s.....I remember my parents attending them locally, then going up to the hotel in Arrowhead for the propheet lite sessions.
disgustingly, I believe my mom was actually in charge of some of the parent groups.
ugh.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 11:30:38 PM »
Quote from: "cedusucks"
Parent meetings were happening in the early 90s.....I remember my parents attending them locally, then going up to the hotel in Arrowhead for the propheet lite sessions.
disgustingly, I believe my mom was actually in charge of some of the parent groups.
ugh.
Were parents from far away not expected attend these ? I never heard my evil abusive parents mention any form of meeting?