Author Topic: What were the rules for home visits?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
What were the rules for home visits?
« on: February 24, 2009, 04:41:56 PM »
When you went home for a home visit, were there specific rules you had to abide by? What were your parents told to do to keep you in line?  

Auntie Em
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline cedurs91to93

• View Profile
Re: What were the rules for home visits?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 07:32:09 PM »
I don't remember specific rules, but I do remember that we had to clean/be productive at least 2 hours each day and we had to call and check in with the office/atrium while we were on our home visit. Also, for nearly all of my home visits, I had to do a nearly minute by minute plan of what I was going to be doing, where I was giong to go, who I was going to see. It was quite the nightmarish process. If we wanted to bring anything back from the home visit, it had to be approved ahead of time. For my home visits, it seemed that standard cedu rules applied- no wearing black, music was fairly restricted, stuff like that.
And you had to come up with goals for each visit. Quite horrible, really, I was always pushed to tell my "disclosures" to people. People who REALLY didn't need to know them.

After you got back from a home visit, youd likely get grilled abotu the visit itself and be required to write a dirt list. This took quite a bit of imagination on my part, being so scared to do anything out of agreement that my visits were REALLY tame and predictable. Every time I came back on campus after a visit, I'd get blown away in a rap or two or three for things people were "guessing" I did....but not in fact reality.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:37:37 AM »
Thank you...

Em
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 12:27:30 PM »
It depended on what stage you were at in the school. The first visit was in challenge, and it was only four days. I believe you had to maintain all agreements, and couldn't see any of your old friends. Also on the first home visit, you had to do kind of a "make amends" thing, I think. I remember I had to go through all of the shit I still had that I had stolen from people, or borrowed and never got around to returning, and send them back. all of this was done through correspondence.

By the time you got into upper school, you had to make your own agreements. If you wanted special permission for something, you had to get it approved through staff. In addition, on your last home visit, you were required to do one social outing where there were a lot of people present, and you didn't know any of them... or something like that.

I was able to see extended family however, as early as quest. But that was always for an off campus visit, as opposed to a home visit. Im sure I was allowed to see them on home visits, but due to the fact that those were never too long, I dont remember if I saw anyone.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:19:56 PM »
It may be worth noting that home visits were not guaranteed.   During my tenure at RMA, I had one so-called home visit.  I was following the program like a good dobbie, but my custodian was overseas and no other family was interested in taking me for a few days.  My agreements for my one trip out was nominal.  Things like: no drugs, no certain kinds of music, no drinking, no sex, be in bed by "x" time, cannot contact old friends.    It was just great to get out of dodge for awhile.   I have no idea what my custodian was suppose to do if I choose not to adhere to the agreements.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:02:52 AM »
Thanks, castle. Thanks, no naming.

Em

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:22:12 AM »
1. don't go back