Author Topic: R.I.P. Jeremy Glass  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
R.I.P. Jeremy Glass
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:52:36 PM »
Heroin overdose. Ironically, the exact same day that Michael Joshua Reuben died. It's almost always a Sunday, isn't it? The morning after a Saturday night spent imbibing more than is wise.

When will these parents learn that programs do not teach kids to not do drugs. Programs teach such an all-or-nothing dichotomy that when kids "slip up," the chances of them taking the big one-way slide are actually increased, in my opinion.

Anybody know which program this kid went to? It would have probably been 2005-2006.

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Jeremy Glass 1988-2008
Maryland
Heroin, Marijuana, Rx Pain Relievers

"Jeremy's beautiful smile would light up a room and his kind heart would warm it..."
      Posted by Cyndi Glass, Jeremy's Mother[/list][/list]
      I wish the world could know the beautiful soul that Jeremy possessed. His love, wisdom, sensitivity and unimaginable concern for those he loved were amongst his many gifts. He had such passion for life and he inspired me all the time. He loved to ski and ride horses. He loved to play football, baseball and basketball. He loved camping, hunting, fishing, and hiking to name a few. He would put himself in harm's way to help an animal, especially a dog! He deeply cared for the feelings of others. He would do just about anything for the people he loved. The number of wonderful friends that he had was a testimony to the kind of person he was.

Jeremy began using drugs after a horrible knee injury that ended his high school football career at the beginning of his sophomore year. He had three surgeries on his knee and after each surgery he was prescribed oxycodine for the pain. He had always sworn he would never drink or take drugs; but his intentions really changed after his introduction to pain medicine!

He spent most of his senior year away in a boarding school which was also a drug treatment and rehabilitation program. He did amazingly well in this program and graduated from high school. He then returned home where he did alright for a while and then unfortunately got caught up in drugs again. We, as a family, as well as Jeremy were always trying to figure out what to do next.

We sent him to outpatient treatment several times unsuccessfully. We discovered that he was doing heroin in the spring of 2009. We were so horrified! Jeremy wanted help for the heroin use and we insisted upon it. We sent him for inpatient treatment. He came home and after being clean for a period of time, he used heroin again and this time it took his life!

Jeremy was attending college at the University of Maryland, University College in College Park, Maryland at the time of his death. He was a sophomore and majoring in Criminology.

It was a long struggle for Jeremy and for our family, to try and achieve sobriety. A struggle he lost on September 7, 2008. We are devastated by his death. It's a loss that we can hardly bear. We miss him desperately. Our lives are changed forever by this irreplaceable loss. Its agony knowing that we will never see your beautiful blue eyes and your amazing smile again. We grieve for him every waking minute. And yet, the love and the memories we shared do comfort us.

I am organizing a 5K walk/run on Memorial Day 2009 in Jeremy's memory. The proceeds will benefit the Partnership for a Drug Free America. It is called "Jeremy's Run". I can only pray that my beautifully child is now at blissful peace. I love you and miss you Jeremy, with all my heart. Until we meet again!

Mom
      « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
      -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      Re: R.I.P. Jeremy Glass
      « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
      This kid didn't die in a program and you have no idea why they used drugs. To use this in some twisted way to argue your point that programs are bad is absolutely disgraceful.  You should be ashamed of yourself.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:07:43 PM »
      Homecoming from "boarding school," 2006:

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:21:53 PM »
      Please note that I am not endorsing this run by any means, since it is a benefit for The Partnership for a Drug-Free America. Unfortunately, these sites are where most of the information on Jeremy is.

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

http://www.jeremysrun.com/
        This race is in memory of Jeremy Daniel Glass, who at the age of 20, died of complications due to drug addiction. Jeremy was a very kind, intelligent, passionate and sensitive person, much loved by his family and friends. He fought what was ultimately a losing battle against a terrible disease that afflicts so many. This race is dedicated to both his memory and to the memory of all who have perished from this tragic illness.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:29:56 PM »
      Quote from: "Guest"
      This kid didn't die in a program and you have no idea why they used drugs. To use this in some twisted way to argue your point that programs are bad is absolutely disgraceful.  You should be ashamed of yourself.

Hey, thats what fornits is for. You said it yourself earlier.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »
      Tuesday, February 10, 2009
      JEREMY'S RUN - MONDAY, MAY 25
      Community Outpouring Supports Jeremy’s Run
      5K Race Set for Monday, May 25, Memorial Day, 2009

On September 7, 2008, Jeremy Glass a 2006 graduate of Sherwood High School and son of Dr. Jim and Cyndi Glass of Brookeville lost his battle with addiction at the age of 20. As a way of honoring his life family and friends have joined forces to raise funds and awareness in order to increase the prevention of drug use and addiction.

Jeremy's Run, a USATF sanctioned 5K run/walk taking place on Monday, May 25 in Olney, MD is being held in his memory, and for all those who have lost lives and loved ones to Drug addiction. The event will benefit The Partnership for a Drug Free America. "I am organizing this Run in an effort to raise needed funds for The Partnership for a Drug Free America. It is a very important mission. We lose too many young people from this horrible disease. Whether from an overdose, car accident or other perceptual accidents."

Sponsorships are being sought on various levels and for many aspects of the event. For more information and to volunteer, please visit the website: http://www.jeremysrun.com. Sponsors to date include: Drink More Water, Fleet Feet Sports, The Tower Companies, Paula's Boutique of Olney, Signs One Hour Olney, Cloverly Animal Hospital of Silver Spring, Hugo Salon of Kensington, Cheeburger Cheeburger of Olney, Greek Island Grill of Silver Spring, Olney Beer and Fine Wine.

When: Monday, May 25th, 2009 (Memorial Day)
      Where: Olney, Maryland
      Time: Registration begins at 7:15am
      Race and Walk begin at 8:15am
      Cost: $25.00 per runner/walker
      Race Director: Cyndi Glass

301-260-8951 or 240-498-8479
      http://www.jeremysrun.com

Posted by Gary H. Ditto at 6:25 AM

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:03:17 PM »
      The title of this thread is Rest In Peace but it is obvious that is not what you want to happen. You are trying to rile up anger against a family that lost a loved one to drugs, and are doing what they can to prevent it from happening to others. That is the definition of selfless behavior, something few of you seem to know about. So organize your Phelpesque protest of this walk or whatever it is you are trying to do. Perhaps it's just to find any target on the internet which fits in with your program hatred and direct your anger towards them? How unlucky for this family that the obituary happened to include that the son went to drug treatment.  ::)

Guess what? This kid had a drug problem and he got help and that extended his life a few years. If his parents and him decided for him to stay for a full year or two then he would still be alive and had a greater chance of escaping the cycle of addiction. So keep making fun of AA, drug treatment and now even the people who die of drug overdose... it seems to be your thing here. I have never seen such self centered angry people in my life.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 03:00:06 PM »
      Quote from: "Guest"
      The title of this thread is Rest In Peace but it is obvious that is not what you want to happen. You are trying to rile up anger against a family that lost a loved one to drugs, and are doing what they can to prevent it from happening to others. That is the definition of selfless behavior, something few of you seem to know about. So organize your Phelpesque protest of this walk or whatever it is you are trying to do. Perhaps it's just to find any target on the internet which fits in with your program hatred and direct your anger towards them? How unlucky for this family that the obituary happened to include that the son went to drug treatment.  ::)

Guess what? This kid had a drug problem and he got help and that extended his life a few years. If his parents and him decided for him to stay for a full year or two then he would still be alive and had a greater chance of escaping the cycle of addiction. So keep making fun of AA, drug treatment and now even the people who die of drug overdose... it seems to be your thing here. I have never seen such self centered angry people in my life.

WHOA Nellie!! Where have I said anything even remotely resembling "trying to rile up anger against a family that lost a loved one to drugs?" Seems to me you are reading nefarious intention into my post which simply wasn't there. Kindly don't do that.

The only comment I made was clearly identified as my opinion. Which, I do believe, I am entitled to. The observation made had to do with what people did or did not learn. I suppose that could be construed to reflect on the people in question. More likely, since I do not know these people and have made absolutely no pretense to that effect, that could also be construed to reflect on the amount of and quality of information available to them.

From my perspective, I'm doing what I can, in my own admittedly pedantic way, to educate folks and hopefully prevent this sort of thing from happening to others.

WHY IS IT that obituary information posted by the DFAF and PDFA crowds is considered to be utterly in keeping with their "selfless behavior," and yet the exact same information posted by people advocating for a saner approach and/or against coercive programs is slammed as being "twisted," "self centered," and "absolutely disgraceful?"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 03:26:11 PM »
      What torture center was this poor kid in?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 03:32:52 PM »
      Obit:

Glass, Jeremy -  GLASS JEREMY D. GLASS Suddenly on Sunday, September 7, 2008, JEREMY D. GLASS of Brookeville, MD. Beloved son of James M. and Cynthia Glass; ...

Published in The Washington Post on 9/9/2008
      102 total words

https://www.legacy.com/WashingtonPost/D ... =117162341

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 04:07:32 PM »
      Honestly, I didn't know much of anything about drugs until I went to the program. The only education about drugs that we had was the war stories we would pass around. The program offered us no such education, they offered us AA or "chemical dependency" but no education about drugs or how to abstain, resist peer pressure or use moderation. The only thing they taught us was to stay away from "non-working" people which literally came out to be anyone who wasn't still brainwashed. I also agree that kind of pressure made the return into the world and for some an addiction harder, because we struggled with such social retardation it was hard to know how to act in most situations.

For instance, when I was first out I went to visit one of my friends I hadn't seen in years. He had a bon fire pit in his back yard and a few of his friends were there... I don't know how the conversation ended up in this direction but for some reason I started talking about myself like I was some kind of addict and a slut and how I drove my mother crazy and I remember them just sitting there dumbfounded by what I just said. They seemed almost offended, but that was the everyday shit that I was used to talking about in the program. I later realized what a dumbshit I must have sounded like, some crazy cult member or something but what was even more sad is that it wasn't that moment that I realized that I was not the "bad kid" the program made me believe I was. It took me years to fully realize that I was not really a drug addict. I actually perpetrated that notion, that I was addicted in order to give myself an excuse to do coke and party every night when I was 18. It wasn't until I easily walked away from it all that I realized that I was not a drug addict, or an alcoholic or any number of fucked up things I thought I was.

My point to all this is what if I was really an addict and didn't have the ability to learn these life lesson's efficiently. I would not be equipped with the necessary tools to combat my addiction and definitely not the elements that would compel me to use (ie life, yea they didn't teach us about that either). The program offered no help in this area, your best bet would be to figure it out yourself. Only problem is there were a few things that stuck with you after the program. The self awareness that usually translates into self loathing and self full-filling prophecies and the judgments you are supposed to be projecting onto druggies, but end up taking on yourself when you end up using. Not to mention the fact that you seem to remind yourself all the time that you are an addict, which as I mentioned before can be used as an excuse to indulge. So I can understand why it would be said that the program would make it worse on a drug addict who returned to drugs after the program. In many ways it very well could fuel the fire.
      [size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
      ...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
      CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »
      Drugfree.org is one of The Partnership for a Drug-Free America's websites. Even if you knew nothing about them, here in this kid's obituary (as well as others posted on their website) is ample proof of just where they are coming from (color emphasis mine):

Jeremy Glass 1988-2008
      Maryland
      Heroin, Marijuana, Rx Pain Relievers

Marijuana? I mean, come ON! PDFA would appear to be less concerned with preventing folks from getting addicted, than they are with perpetrating a certain mindset onto the populace.

One thing they certainly aren't too concerned about is educating folks! Lol, this is a throwback to the 1930's when Reefer Madness was originally made (under another title).