Author Topic: Founder's Findings  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Founder's Findings #9
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2009, 11:43:33 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
  • Their brains are experiencing a "use it or lose it" phase. If they are actively involved in academics, sports or music, those are the ruts being created. If they are a TV "couch potato" or playing video games, those are the ruts being created. We need to inspire them to seek real growth.

Seems like Joe is mixing his metaphors a little here! "Use it or lose it" doesn't refer to ruts being created through preferential use, but to loss of muscle tone due to inactivity.

Joe's not using his brain muscle. He's losing it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Founder's Findings #10
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 11:35:49 PM »
Individuality may very well be revered in certain sections of America, but certainly not at Hyde School! lol!

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Founder's Findings #10: The Hyde Way vs. American Education
10/28/2008

I walked in on a discussion between Yolanda (not her real name), a brand new 8th grade transfer student, and Dr. Jo Ann Cason, the head of our Hyde-DC Leadership Public Charter School.

It was a pleasant chit-chat conversation, but I gathered that Jo Ann had brought Yolanda to her office because she had been very disrespectful to a teacher. Jo Ann caught a sparkle in Yolanda's eye when she turned the talk to music, so she asked Yolanda who her favorite artists were. The discussion became more animated, and finally Jo Ann asked Yolanda to sing for her. After some encouragement, Yolanda began to sing. Jo Ann nearly jumped out of her chair and then told Yolanda to stop while she went to get several others to hear this beautiful voice.

When Yolanda finished to our applause, we then had a serious discussion how Hyde was going to be a new experience to help her bring out this deeper side of herself, as well as a struggle with her old self to achieve this transformation. Jo Ann then directed Yolanda to check in with her for a week.

Yolanda will undoubtedly require more help than this to fully realize her deeper self. But she is now in a revolutionary school where the primary concern of the faculty, students and staff is to help each student like her discover and develop her character and her unique potential.

This episode highlights a solution to American education's plight: Rigorous educational discipline must be accompanied by equally rigorous efforts of self discovery. This is absolutely true for America where individuality is revered.

- Joseph Gauld
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Founder's Findings
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 11:45:52 PM »
I cant believe this fraud is still shooting his mouth off.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2009, 12:36:22 AM »
Quote from: "Joseph Gauld"
Yolanda will undoubtedly require more help than this to fully realize her deeper self. But she is now in a revolutionary school where the primary concern of the faculty, students and staff is to help each student like her discover and develop her character and her unique potential.
I can almost hear the violins.

The concept of "unique potential" at Hyde is a myth. In fact, you could say that is an oxymoronic phrase, if ever there was such a thing...  :D

Offline Violet

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »
So the interesting thing about Hyde and the concept of character, is that the founding family are the people who lack character the most. And their unique potential has never been truly discovered, unless Malcolm's unique potential is to write a blog and play basketball all day. Surely he must have more potential than that, he's certainly getting paid a lot to just do that.

The issue with character and the founding family, is that if you want to sell it, you have to practice it. And if you want the kids to practice it, you need to model it for them. Instead, the "non-profit" institution is all about making a profit for the family. It's no different than any other corporation in America, with big executive bonuses, screw the underlings, who cares about the investors, as long as I get my money at the end of the day.

A person of character would recognize that in financial times like these, if you believe in your business, you must sacrifice to make it survive and make sure that the mission is first and foremost the priority. Take care of the business i.e. the students and the employees. Pay them first. Pay yourself last. Take care of the people who are putting money in your pocket- the students and faculty. How do you pay the students? Provide them with decent living conditions, quality instructors, a healthy environment.

People want leadership, integrity, courage. Who at Hyde is going to step up to the plate to provide it? When will the family stop taking from the institution and give back to help it survive? It would be the smart thing to do. It would demonstrate character and integrity, a commitment to the cause, not just the bottom line. Why is Hyde in financial trouble? (See thread about selling Crow's Nest) Because the family can't afford to pay themselves the overinflated salaries they get (and this doesn't even include everything the "business" provides for them that they don't pay any taxes on) for not running their business properly.

And where is the board of trustees who should be overseeing all this? Too afraid to challenge the family, I'm sure.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2009, 01:23:47 AM »
Quote from: "Violet"
The issue with character and the founding family, is that if you want to sell it, you have to practice it. And if you want the kids to practice it, you need to model it for them. Instead, the "non-profit" institution is all about making a profit for the family. It's no different than any other corporation in America, with big executive bonuses, screw the underlings, who cares about the investors, as long as I get my money at the end of the day.
I think there is a big question as to whether they are actually selling character development or not. I think you can safely say they are trying to sell the appearance of character development. Take a good look at just who awarded them the title of "expert" in the field. They themselves did. That says a lot right there.

Why is Hyde in financial trouble? (See thread about selling Crow's Nest) Because the family can't afford to pay themselves the overinflated salaries they get (and this doesn't even include everything the "business" provides for them that they don't pay any taxes on) for not running their business properly.
I imagine that getting in bed with Big Tobacco's marketing experts doesn't come at a pittance. The internet is being bombarded with Gauld blogs/essays, glossy "sister websites," and viral marketing crapola to the Nth degree. All of this costs. Who is paying those bills, when all is said and done?

Thread about selling Crow's Nest: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=28739

And where is the board of trustees who should be overseeing all this? Too afraid to challenge the family, I'm sure.
I imagine a fair number of them are still busy drinking the Kool-Aid. Most them have vested ideological interests in the "success" of Hyde, unfortunately, or are too removed from what actually goes on there to have a clue. If you check out the backgrounds of the respective individuals, you'll find that many of them have more or less direct ties to Hyde.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Founder's Findings #11
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »
This sounds more like an excuse for Joe's lack of "academic excellence" ... than it does a championing cry for respecting the unique potential of the lower 90.  ;D

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Founder’s Findings #11: How do you reach a student's mind?
11/4/2008

Americans raise children to demand respect for themselves. Try to see schools through children's eyes. Only about 10% of them are naturally gifted at academics; our competitive approach essentially ends up disciplining the rest to follow their lead. So we unwittingly disrespect their unique potential. While they may accept academics as necessary, they will seek respect and their spirit elsewhere.

- Joseph Gauld