Author Topic: Jailing Kids For Cash  (Read 12684 times)

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
Jailing Kids For Cash
« on: February 15, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29142654/?GT1=43001

In one of the most shocking cases of courtroom graft on record, two Pennsylvania judges have been charged with taking millions of dollars in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Jailing Kids For Cash
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »
[msnbc video coverage of this story link HERE.]

Pa. judges accused of jailing kids for cash
Judges allegedly took $2.6 million in payoffs to put juveniles in lockups

Hillary Transue, who was sentenced to a wilderness camp for building a spoof MySpace page that lampooned her assistant principal in White Haven, Pa., on Friday. Transue says she did not have an attorney, nor was she informed of her right to one, when she was sentenced by Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella. Matt Rourke / AP

Associated Press
updated 8:56 p.m. ET, Wed., Feb. 11, 2009

WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - For years, the juvenile court system in Wilkes-Barre operated like a conveyor belt: Youngsters were brought before judges without a lawyer, given hearings that lasted only a minute or two, and then sent off to juvenile prison for months for minor offenses.

The explanation, prosecutors say, was corruption on the bench.

In one of the most shocking cases of courtroom graft on record, two Pennsylvania judges have been charged with taking millions of dollars in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers.

"I've never encountered, and I don't think that we will in our lifetimes, a case where literally thousands of kids' lives were just tossed aside in order for a couple of judges to make some money," said Marsha Levick, an attorney with the Philadelphia-based Juvenile Law Center, which is representing hundreds of youths sentenced in Wilkes-Barre.

Prosecutors say Luzerne County Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan took $2.6 million in payoffs to put juvenile offenders in lockups run by PA Child Care LLC and a sister company, Western PA Child Care LLC. The judges were charged on Jan. 26 and removed from the bench by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court shortly afterward.

No company officials have been charged, but the investigation is still going on.

The high court, meanwhile, is looking into whether hundreds or even thousands of sentences should be overturned and the juveniles' records expunged.

Among the offenders were teenagers who were locked up for months for stealing loose change from cars, writing a prank note and possessing drug paraphernalia. Many had never been in trouble before. Some were imprisoned even after probation officers recommended against it.

Many appeared without lawyers, despite the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark 1967 ruling that children have a constitutional right to counsel.

'I have disgraced my judgeship'

The judges are scheduled to plead guilty to fraud Thursday in federal court. Their plea agreements call for sentences of more than seven years behind bars.

Ciavarella, 58, who presided over Luzerne County's juvenile court for 12 years, acknowledged last week in a letter to his former colleagues, "I have disgraced my judgeship. My actions have destroyed everything I worked to accomplish and I have only myself to blame." Ciavarella, though, has denied he got kickbacks for sending youths to prison.

Conahan, 56, has remained silent about the case.

Many Pennsylvania counties contract with privately run juvenile detention centers, paying them either a fixed overall fee or a certain amount per youth, per day.

In Luzerne County, prosecutors say, Conahan shut down the county-run juvenile prison in 2002 and helped the two companies secure rich contracts worth tens of millions of dollars, at least some of that dependent on how many juveniles were locked up.

One of the contracts — a 20-year agreement with PA Child Care worth an estimated $58 million — was later canceled by the county as exorbitant.

The judges are accused of taking payoffs between 2003 and 2006.

Allegations of extortion

Robert J. Powell co-owned PA Child Care and Western PA Child Care until June. His attorney, Mark Sheppard, said his client was the victim of an extortion scheme.

"Bob Powell never solicited a nickel from these judges and really was a victim of their demands," he said. "These judges made it very plain to Mr. Powell that he was going to be required to pay certain monies."

For years, youth advocacy groups complained that Ciavarella was ridiculously harsh and ran roughshod over youngsters' constitutional rights. Ciavarella sent a quarter of his juvenile defendants to detention centers from 2002 to 2006, compared with a statewide rate of one in 10.

The criminal charges confirmed the advocacy groups' worst suspicions and have called into question all the sentences he pronounced.

Hillary Transue did not have an attorney, nor was she told of her right to one, when she appeared in Ciavarella's courtroom in 2007 for building a MySpace page that lampooned her assistant principal.

Her mother, Laurene Transue, worked for 16 years in the child services department of another county and said she was certain Hillary would get a slap on the wrist. Instead, Ciavarella sentenced her to three months; she got out after a month, with help from a lawyer.

"I felt so disgraced for a while, like, what do people think of me now?" said Hillary, now 17 and a high school senior who plans to become an English teacher.

'I was completely destroyed'

Laurene Transue said Ciavarella "was playing God. And not only was he doing that, he was getting money for it. He was betraying the trust put in him to do what is best for children."

Kurt Kruger, now 22, had never been in trouble with the law until the day police accused him of acting as a lookout while his friend shoplifted less than $200 worth of DVDs from Wal-Mart. He said he didn't know his friend was going to steal anything.

Kruger pleaded guilty before Ciavarella and spent three days in a company-run juvenile detention center, plus four months at a youth wilderness camp run by a different operator.

"Never in a million years did I think that I would actually get sent away. I was completely destroyed," said Kruger, who later dropped out of school. He said he wants to get his record expunged, earn his high school equivalency diploma and go to college.

"I got a raw deal, and yeah, it's not fair," he said, "but now it's 100 times bigger than me."

© 2009 The Associated Press.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
2 Luzerne County Judges Indicted on Federal Charges
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »
As far as I have been able to make out, this is known locally as the Luzerne County Court House corruption investigation. Stuff that is now hitting the national news networks has been brewing locally for quite some time.

Philadelphia-based Juvenile Law Center got involved at least a year ago. They filed a request with the State Supreme Court to take jurisdiction over certain Ciavarella cases. That application got denied; I believe they plan to or have already re-filed.  

Originally, the focus was primarily on the egregious and inappropriate incarceration of so many children. Then it came to light that none of these kids had been afforded requisite legal counsel. And then somehow the Feds got involved and it was determined that quite a lot of funds had changed hands, and over several years. In addition to Luzerne County Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan, there is also a County Court Administrator who may or may not be involved.

Facilities that the kids were sent to included PA Child Care LLC and a sister company, Western PA Child Care LLC. Also mentioned on the news video was some place called Camp Adams, and there was an entrance sign to some (probable) wilderness program depicted which reads "Youth Services Agency / ACT at Jim Thorpe."

Somehow I never knew that the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark ruling, that children have a constitutional right to counsel, happened all the way back in 1967. Anyone else here had their rights flagrantly squashed by the Juvenile Justice machine?

--- ---

Here is a local article informing us of the indictment of Luzerne County Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan on federal charges back on January 26th:

[Local news video coverage of the following story accessible from title link.]

Local news / Wilkes-Barre, PA
2 Luzerne County Judges Indicted on Federal Charges

Reported by: Andy Mehalshick
Monday, Jan 26, 2009 @09:30pm EST

WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY- A two year federal investigation leads to charges against two Luzerne County judges. They are charged with federal fraud and tax crimes. The Eyewitness News I-Team first told you about the investigation late last summer.

Federal investigators including the FBI, U.S. Attorney and the IRS gathered Monday at the Federal courthouse in Scranton to announce charges of fraud and conspiracy against Luzerne County Judges Mark Ciavarella (left) and Michael Conahan (right).

It all had to do with their involvement with a privately-owned juvenile detention center in Luzerne County. U.S. Attorney Martin Carlson said, "The defendants engaged in fraud by taking millions of dollars from two unnamed persons in connection with the construction, operation and expansion of juvenile detention facilities here in Luzerne County and elsewhere."

Investigators say the judges issued court rulings that would make sure juveniles were detained even when probation officers recommended that they be released. They also issued court orders that forced the county to use the detention center exclusively. The judges admitted to the charges and will now face prison time.

"The judges have stipulated to a sentence of 87 months, just over 7 years in federal prison. The judges further agreed to resign their position as judges within 10 days. With their guilty pleas they face automatic disbarment from the practice of law and they must pay restitution as determined by the courts," added Carlson.

Federal investigators say they diverted some $2.6 million dollars into their accounts and issued court orders to make sure the Pennsylvania Child Care Center in Pittston Township benefited. They also admitted to taking kick-backs from people connected to the construction and operation of the facility.

The U.S. Attorney says the investigation is ongoing and future arrests are possible.

Copyright (c) 1998 - 2009 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Jailing Kids For Cash
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:59:10 PM »
Throw the judges in jail for the consecutive amount of time he sentenced the sum of the kids... and throw away the key.

On a side note, i'm amazed how many seperate threads there are on this one topic... lol.  This news story is getting a lot of coverage.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Juvenile Law Center Wants Ciavarella's Rulings Reviewed
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:47:04 PM »
Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella was charged on January 26, 2009. Judge Michael Conahan was also charged, either that day or shortly thereafter.

This resulted in a flurry of local news coverage the next day. Four pieces follow:

[Local news video clip of the following story accessible from title link.]

Juvenile Law Center Wants Ciavarella's Rulings Reviewed

Reported by: Mike Trim
Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 @10:55pm EST

PHILADELPHIA- Pennsylvania's Juvenile Law Center is trying to overturn a State Supreme Court application ruling. A few weeks ago, the court denied a request made by the law center to take charge of hundreds of judge Mark Ciavarella's rulings.

Ciavarella has been federally charged. Prosecutors say he compromised Luzerne County’s Juvenile Court system.

The Juvenile Law Center doesn't mince words when talking about Ciavarella. Legal director Marsha Levick says, "This is a judge who was elected to represent and protect the best interest of children and on the backs of children took money and sent them into detention unnecessarily."

The Juvenile Law Center says hundreds of juveniles' rights were violated by Ciavarella. In Spring 2008 it asked the State Supreme Court to take jurisdiction over certain Ciavarella cases.

The center says Ciavarella skipped necessary steps in juvenile hearings. The center hoped the court would help overturn rulings in those cases.

But on January 8th, the court declined that application. Now the Juvenile Law Center will ask the state supreme court to reconsider it's application.

Levick says in wake of federal charges against Ciavarella, there might be enough to change the court's ruling.

Kevin Williamson of Hanover Township's case is an example of one the Juvenile Law Center is appealing. The law center says Ciavarella skipped steps in his hearing last April. He was sent to a juvenile camp in Jim Thorpe for seven weeks.

Williamson is out now, but his mother says this about Ciavarella, "Maybe the shoe's on the other foot now and maybe now he'll know what it feels like, that he actually did something wrong."

If the State Supreme Court route doesn't work, the juvenile law center won't stop. Levick says the center will legally appeal somewhere else.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Justice for the Juveniles?
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 05:55:11 PM »
Justice for the Juveniles?

Reported by: Eric Scheiner
updated 11:46 p.m. ET, Tues., Jan. 27, 2009

WILKES-BARRE-- Luzerne County Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan are accused of collecting more than $2 and a half million dollars from the construction, expansion and operation of juvenile detention facilities as well as for the placement of juveniles in the facility.

The Juvenile Law Center filed suit last spring claiming hundreds of juveniles' rights were violated by Ciavarella. Many juveniles were not told of their right to be represented by attorneys and were given detention center sentences instead of probation, according to the group.

The State Supreme Court denied the center's petition for emergency relief against the county. Now they are looking at an appeal.

Parents who feel their children were incorrectly sent to juvenile detention centers by the two judges are looking at their legal options as well.

What legal options are available? What can parents who feel their kids were wrongly sentenced do? What will happen next?

WYOU Interactive discusses the issues with Attorney Barry Dyller, Mother of a sentenced teen Susan Mishanski and Marsha Levick from the Juvenile Law Center.

Local news video coverage on THIS page.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
No Shortage of Reaction to Charges Against Judges
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »
[Local news video coverage of the following story can be accessed from title link.]

No Shortage of Reaction to Charges Against Judges

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 @10:00pm EST

WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY- There's no shortage of reaction to two Luzerne County judges charged with abusing their power. Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan are accused of using their position on the bench to steer kids to a juvenile detention facility. On February 12th the judges will make appear before a federal judge in Scranton for a formal court arraignment.

Today Eyewitness News spoke to a father who says his daughter was the victim of a crooked judge.

18-year-old Jessica from Mountain Top was one of dozens of teenagers sent to juvenile detention by Judge Mark Ciavarella.  Her father, Jack Van Reeth, says she was a first time offender and non-violent.

He was told she would get probation. They got quite a surprise. “Going into the courtroom we were there for less than 90 seconds, at the end of which she was immediately put in shackles and taken off for 90 days to Camp Adams. We were speechless."

Judge Ciavarella and Judge Michael Conahan are charged with making money from their connection to the privately run, PA Child Care Center and taking kickbacks of more than $2 million dollars.

Jack says he knew something wasn't right from the beginning. "I want to remind him [the judge] words when he first ran for judge at the start of the political campaign.  It's time for people to realize people who commit crimes will be punished," he said.

Meanwhile Civil Rights Advocate Attorney Barry Dyler is working with parents like Van Reeth into a possible lawsuit. "My initial concerns have little to do with being a lawyer and a lot to do with being a human being, a citizen. It's terrible that these children were treated as inventory and incarcerated because it was a money-making operation," he said.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Ciavarella Speaks Out Through Attorney
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:09:37 PM »
[Local news video coverage of the following story accessible from THIS page.]

Ciavarella Speaks Out Through Attorney

Reported by: Joe Holden
updated 12:16 a.m. ET, Wed., Jan. 28, 2009

WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY- The attorney for embattled Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella disputed claims by federal authorities the judge made money off a scheme to imprison juveniles in select detention centers. Al Flora on Tuesday told Eyewitness News Ciavarella "specifically denies that he sent any child to any juvenile facility because of money that he received from any person."

The U.S. Attorney's Office mapped out its case against Ciavarella and Luzerne County Senior Judge Michael Conahan on Monday, dropping a bomb of accusations that rattled the county's legal system from the highest ranks on downward.

Conahan has not commented.

Ciavarella expressed concern about media reports through his attorney. Flora said most of those concerns dealt with print media outlets. He cited one specific example, pointing to a headline that alleged the judges "bilked taxpayers of $2.6 million." Flora said the headline was "factually inaccurate and not alleged in the charges filed by the government." Instead, the government, in its case, claims the money came from two private parties.

Flora acknowledged the case's complexity. In fact, Flora said the Governor's office had misinterpreted a resignation letter from his client. Ciavarella had resigned his office of president judge on Friday. He maintains his seat on the Court of Common Pleas. Governor Ed Rendell's spokesman told Eyewitness News they were under the impression Ciavarella had resigned from the court. Flora reiterated that was not so.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Pa. Supreme Court reviewing county juvenile cases
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »
One week after charges were filed against Luzerne County Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court decided to re-think its former stance.

Pa. Supreme Court reviewing county juvenile cases

Associated Press
updated 11:04 p.m. ET, Mon., Feb. 2, 2009

WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Pennsylvania Supreme Court is intervening in juvenile criminal cases in a county where two judges are accused of taking kickbacks.

Luzerne County President Judge Mark Ciavarella (shiv-ah-REL'-lah) and another judge have agreed to plead guilty to fraud charges announced last week by federal prosecutors. Authorities say they took kickbacks for placing juveniles in privately owned detention facilities.

The agreements call for sentences of more than seven years in prison. Their plea hearing has not been set.

An advocacy group called the Juvenile Law Center had asked the state Supreme Court to intervene. The court ruled Monday that it would do so. It had declined to do so before the charges were announced.

© 2009 The Associated Press.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Latest in the Luzerne County Corruption Case
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 01:32:07 PM »

Latest in the Luzerne County Corruption Case

Monday, Feb 2, 2009 @09:07pm EST

WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY- Federal agents searched the home of a high ranking Luzerne County official in connection with the courthouse corruption investigation.

The search happened last Friday just days after Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan were charged with fraud. They're accused of taking millions in kickbacks in connection with the construction and operation of a private juvenile center.

Eyewitness News also learned that new President Judge Chester Muroski has suspended county payments to Court Administrator William Sharkey. Sharkey's been on medical leave since last August. But Muroski tells Eyewitness News that Sharkey has been "out and about" but not at work.

He's not officially named in the federal investigation, but federal agents seized records from his office last summer. Sharkey could not be reached for comment.

In other related news, the state Supreme Court says they will now look into hundreds of juvenile court cases at the request of the Juvenile Law Center. Several weeks ago they had said they would not review the rulings against teens who appeared in Ciavarella's courtroom without an attorney.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
More Charges in Luzerne Co. Corruption Case
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »
Here are two more articles focused -- more or less -- on Luzerne County Court Administrator William Sharkey and the embezzled gambling confiscations:

More Charges in Luzerne Co. Corruption Case

Tuesday, Feb 3, 2009 @10:20pm EST

WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY- It's 3-arrests and counting in the ongoing federal investigation into corruption at the Luzerne County Courthouse. Longtime Court Administrator William Sharkey is charged with embezzling some $70,000 from the county court system. He is the third high-ranking county official heading to prison.

The U.S. Attorney filed charges Tuesday against Sharkey, who's from West Hazleton. He has been the Court Administrator since 1997. Sharkey was in charge of court operations, and that included money.

According to investigators Sharkey was in control of illegal gambling money seized by state Liquor Control Enforcement. He was supposed to get a court forfeiture order and then put that money, some $70,000, into the county treasurer's account. Federal investigators say he kept the money.

His arrest has people talking. Carl Romanelli of Wilkes-Barre said, "It's disappointing it happened at all but it’s nice to see the investigation is moving forward and bad apples."

This comes 8 days after Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan were charged with fraud for taking millions in kickbacks connected to a private juvenile center.

On Monday the I-Team learned that new President Judge Chester Muroski suspended county payments to Sharkey. Tuesday Muroski said that Sharkey is now immediately suspended without pay. Sharkey has been on medical leave since last August. But Muroski told Eyewitness News that Sharkey has been "out and about" but not at work.

Federal agents seized records from Sharkey’s office last summer. Sharkey could not be reached for comment.

Eyewitness News is also told that the federal investigation continues and that more arrests are likely.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
More Courthouse Corruption
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 03:55:43 PM »
More Courthouse Corruption

Reported by: Eric Scheiner
Tuesday, Feb 3, 2009 @07:43pm EST

WILKES-BARRE-- Under Luzerne County Court Administrator William Sharkey's plea agreement, he will give up his home, his car, and over $42,000 he's paid into the state pension system. It is still to be determined if these forfeitures will be necessary to cover the restitution of the nearly $71,000 he stole from the county court system.

It's alleged Sharkey embezzled the money over a period of ten years by illegally pocketing gambling proceeds seized in criminal cases.

Sharkey is the latest court official making a plea deal, following the indictment of Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan for taking kickbacks in return for placing juvenile offenders in certain detention facilities.

Part of Sharkey's plea agreement includes his cooperation with officials, causing some to wonder if any information he gives authorities may lead to more indictments at the Luzerne County Courthouse.

WYOU Interactive discusses the indictments and the issues surrounding corruption at the Luzerne County Courthouse.

[Local news video coverage of the above story accessible from title link.]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
I-Team: Possible Pension Loss for Judges
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 05:58:59 PM »
And what is to become of the Judges' pension funds? Retirement benefits are generally taken away if a judge is disbarred due to a federal conviction.

Interesting that Judge Conahan withdrew more than $300,000 from his pie...all the way back in mid January. Pennsylvania may not be able to get that money back.

I-Team: Possible Pension Loss for Judges

Reported by: Mike Trim
Wednesday, Feb 4, 2009 @09:30pm EST

Through a Pennsylvania "right to know" request, the I-Team discovered how much pension money Luzerne County Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan could lose.

Starting first with Ciavarella, the I-Team estimates he would collect approximately $75,000 a year in pension funds. That's if he retired with his current years of service as a judge.

WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY- Local taxpayer advocate Walter Griffith says Ciavarella and Conahan shouldn't get a dime. "They've taken the juvenile system of our county and they've smeared it so badly and they've ruined the lives of young people that I just don't think it's fair that they should be able to walk away with everything," says Griffith.

Next is Conahan, who officially retired as a judge on January 14th, 2008. The next day he returned as a senior judge, appointed part-time by the state.

But when he retired, Conahan withdrew a lump sum of a little more than $300,000 in pension payout. And that money could be safe for Conahan.

The State Employees Retirement System says forfeited pension money is usually taken from the point of conviction and beyond.

Conahan did nothing illegal by withdrawing the lump sum, but Griffith says it seemed odd. "There's a lot of different things that are happening in the county that aren't in the best interest of the taxpayers. That particular issue is a little bit difficult because it just seems funny that he would take his retirement," says Griffith.

If convicted, Conahan and Ciavarella could both lose retirement benefits. The state employee's retirement system follows state law guidelines to take away pensions.

There's a specific guideline that takes retirement benefits away if a judge is disbarred because of a federal conviction.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
The Latest on Luzerne County Court Corruption
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »
In a related twist, as far as inappropriate and illegal maneuvers vis a vis incarcerations are concerned, Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella is also in hot water regarding a "secret probation parole program" involving adult inmates. One has to wonder if some more payola was involved in those transactions.

In light of the below described developments, it would appear that Judge Ciavarella's 90-second rulings, in the case of juveniles, were not due to his being "tough on crime."

The Latest on Luzerne County Court Corruption

Wednesday, Feb 4, 2009 @09:35pm EST

WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY- There are more developments in the federal investigation into corruption at the Luzerne County Courthouse.

It appears an embattled judge modified the sentences handed out by other judges. That's causing uproar in the courthouse. Those modifications could allow for special treatment or special favors for those convicted of crimes.

However that practice ended on Wednesday. President Judge Chester Muroski issued a one page order that makes sure sentences handed out by a judge cannot be changed or modified without the knowledge of that judge or the court administrator.

Judge Mark Ciavarella and Micheal Conahan are facing fraud charges and have been removed from the bench for allegedly accepting kickbacks in connection with a juvenile facility.

The modifications in question did not violate any law or statute, but they did anger several of the judges. One judge told us off camera that he was not even aware of any sentence modifications. They heard about it second and even third hand.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Corruption: Probations Revoked/Olszewski Speaks Out
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 10:40:58 AM »

Corruption: Probations Revoked/Olszewski Speaks Out

Thursday, Feb 5, 2009 @04:01pm EST

WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY- Dozens of inmates who had been released by a judge accused of fraud are heading back to prison. It turns out that "secret program" was known only to former President Judge Mark Ciavarella. Inmates were placed on parole or probation without the knowledge of the judges who sent them to prison in the first place.

Judge Peter Paul Olszewski is angry and concerned. He says a secret probation parole program run by former judge Mark Ciavarella called "crossing over" put dangerous people on the street. Thursday he issued several court orders demanding those inmates be brought back to prison. "I have serious concerns about violent felons being released from prison prior to their sentences being served. Another of the inmates released without my knowledge had previously 5 revocations from probation and parole. That's not the kind of inmate that should be released to our streets early without approval of sentencing judges."

27 inmates were released to the halfway house. 4 of them were sentenced by judge Olszewski. Olszewski says judge Ciavarella not only placed innocent people in harm's way, but he may have broken the law. "I'm also concerned about inmates being released from prison who committed violent crimes and the victims of those crimes have not been notified.  They were released from a secure facility into an unsecured facility. That is a serious concern that may have violated state law. That's being looked into."

Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan are facing 7 years in prison for accepting millions of dollars in kickbacks in connection with a private juvenile facility. Those two judges and court administrator William Sharkey have been charged in this federal corruption investigation. More arrests are coming.