Author Topic: CBC Fifth Estate AARC piece  (Read 10946 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: CBC Fifth Estate AARC piece
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2009, 05:37:14 PM »
Well.  The infection has spread to Canada, then.

I see this going one of two ways:  You could get some of those powerful people creating more AARCs and supporting them with federal monies while lobbying for legislation for tougher drug laws and forced treatment.  Like it has in the United States, you could end up with an entire infestation of AARCs (and I mean that quite literally... you do not want what we have here).

OR;

Awareness can be spread, politicians and corrupt judges exposed, CEOs talked to, program parents deprogrammed, etc...  Maybe the damage can be localized.  The CBC report is a good start.  It's far better than anything we've seen here in the states.

I'd say at this point the "war" is of words, on the internet, and with the media.  People who have been mistreated at aarc need to make their voices heard if this is going to stop.

...  or at least that's my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2009, 05:40:20 PM »
Quote from: "anonAARCgrad"
Their are many who would lie or break the law for him. Scarier though is the Parents. And there are some very wealthy, influential parents. CEOs, judges, prosecuters. It will be interesting to see how the Calgary media covers this - they have been giving fluffy, favorable coverage for years.

Do you suspect that Judges might have "unofficial" relationships with AARC or if there is any corruption going on?  Recently in the states a similar case was exposed where two judges took over 2 million in kickbacks for referrals to "treatment" centers.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline anonAARCgrad

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
Their are many who would lie or break the law for him. Scarier though is the Parents. And there are some very wealthy, influential parents. CEOs, judges, prosecuters. It will be interesting to see how the Calgary media covers this - they have been giving fluffy, favorable coverage for years.

Do you suspect that Judges might have "unofficial" relationships with AARC or if there is any corruption going on?  Recently in the states a similar case was exposed where two judges took over 2 million in kickbacks for referrals to "treatment" centers.

No idea. Judge Cook Stanhope has sentenced many children to AARC and her husband is on the Board. This is certainly peculiar.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2009, 10:31:01 AM »
No idea. Judge Cook Stanhope has sentenced many children to AARC and her husband is on the Board. This is certainly peculiar.

Yeah.  I've heard about her.  It could certainly be that she is conned and not paid off, but who knows.  Stranger shit has happened.  What do you think AARC is going to do now that this documentary has been produced?  do you think their funding will drop dramatically or do you think the same "program saved my life" shtick from the walking billboards will still work?

At least in the states the authorities generally dont' give a damn about the kids when they are labeled as "druggies".  Does this differ in Alberta?

Offline anonAARCgrad

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2009, 10:46:11 AM »

Yeah.  I've heard about her.  It could certainly be that she is conned and not paid off, but who knows.  Stranger shit has happened.  What do you think AARC is going to do now that this documentary has been produced?  do you think their funding will drop dramatically or do you think the same "program saved my life" shtick from the walking billboards will still work?

Again, they have powerful friends - government, media, law enforcement. I am hoping more graduates and parents open their eyes, let go of their one-sided opinions and see what is going on. That is the most important thing. It took me years and I needed a jolt to get my head out my ass. But if it can happen to me, it can happen for anyone.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2009, 10:50:32 AM »
Again, they have powerful friends - government, media, law enforcement. I am hoping more graduates and parents open their eyes, let go of their one-sided opinions and see what is going on. That is the most important thing. It took me years and I needed a jolt to get my head out my ass. But if it can happen to me, it can happen for anyone.

That's the thing with thought reform.  It's only temporary and only lasts as long as a person is in the group.  Straight Inc kids who still think the program helped them to this day are few and far between (I can't recall ever meeting one).

When did you snap out of it?  Recently?

Offline anonAARCgrad

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2009, 11:10:24 AM »

That's the thing with thought reform.  It's only temporary and only lasts as long as a person is in the group.  Straight Inc kids who still think the program helped them to this day are few and far between (I can't recall ever meeting one).

When did you snap out of it?  Recently?

Its been over the last couple of years. Looooong story.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2009, 11:18:43 AM »
How does your family feel about AARC?

Offline anonAARCgrad

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
How does your family feel about AARC?

They are done with them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2009, 12:02:08 PM »
Judge Cooke Stanhope is the same judge who kept my son in AARC on a court order.

I have the transcripts.

I withdrew consent in court for him to attend at the FIRST review! My consent was required to get him in there, my lack of consent should have been all required to get him out. His lawyer stated he was being "unduly influenced" by the the program, but none of this meant anything to Stanhope. She refused to allow me to talk to my son, paid NO attention to any of my concerns, sent him back to AARC when Lisa Luciano said she would "carry" him through the program (Whatever that means... and the judge refused to tell me WHAT that means) and I was since that time OUT of the program. She refused to listen to my pleas for alternative treatment, such as the Royal Alexandria hospital in Edmonton which was my son's choice prior to hearing about AARC.

Judge Cook Stanhope and her husband Dr. Alan Stanhope attended my son's graduation at AARC and hugged him.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2009, 01:29:40 PM »
This is the problem with cults.  They worm their way into politicians, judges, the legal system.  It's all about control and money.  I beg you in Canada to deal with this problem quickly and firmly before you end up with a situation that is as bad or worse than what we have in the United States.  These organizations spread like a cancer and self-replicate.  You do not want these wackos influencing public policy like they do in the US.

Offline anonAARCgrad

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2009, 03:25:45 PM »

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2009, 09:12:06 PM »
Well, I have posted one comment here:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/02/ ... nts-submit

And two comments here:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/discussion/2009 ... rless.html

And I have yet to see any of them posted. How long will this take? I posted one of them 2 days ago. Is anyone else having problems posting comments?
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2009, 03:01:34 AM »
Quote from: "Rachael"
For the record: In the five months I was in AARC I never progressed past Step 1 as I was incapable of "acknowledging I was powerless over alcohol and that my life had become unmanagable". It's really hard to accept so completely something that is fundamentally untrue.

Also, after I was raped I tried to get to see a doctor - I was taken to Stanhope and staff would not leave the room while I was there. The doctor's report says I was there for: "female problems". Ironic eh? Wouldn't you think rape is more of a male problem?

Rachael

For the record:
You are a fuckin bottom-feeding  idiot racheal and a fuckin liar. but psy likes ya so you should be ok  LOL

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2009, 03:06:03 AM »
Quote from: "wdtony"
And I have yet to see any of them posted. How long will this take? I posted one of them 2 days ago. Is anyone else having problems posting comments?

If they're approved, it usually takes a few hours.  I'm not sure what the criteria for approval is.  A few of mine didn't make it through either.