Author Topic: Some frank words about the conference  (Read 2134 times)

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestraights.com
Some frank words about the conference
« on: August 06, 2003, 05:41:00 PM »
Dear friends,

I have just published my report on the St Petersburg conference. If anyone has any pictures they would like to share, please let me know.  

There is something about the conference that I want to share with you that is only hinted at in my report.  For 17 years Straight, Inc. was the biggest juvenile synanon in the world,  and one of the most destructive.  Many of you feel you were damaged by Straight or know others who were.  Some feel that Straight, its principals,  and the government officials who helped it along, and the state of Florida and the United States government should make some sort fo restitution to those who were harmed.  Others feel that those responsible should be punished by the American justice system for what they did.  Still others just want the story to be told.

Regardless, we must make every effort to get this story told by web reports, discussion forums, court cases, newspaper reports,  protests . .  . whatever.   One important way is hold a yearly conference.  Nothing should be done to hamper any of these efforts,  more especially the conference.  The conference is not about Wes Fager, ISAC, or SAFETY.  It is about Straight, Inc. and destructive programs like it.  There were 37 or 38 people at this year's conference.  There should have been 100 - 200.  An anonymous donor donated $1,000 to the conference but asked for it back due to the in-fighting amongst the Straight crowd. Fortunately I was able to persuade this donor to keep the money for the conference.  There were other donors too.  For those of you who were less than supportive of the conference to those of you who were down right overt in efforts to harm the conference,  I want to tell you that your biggest supporters in those endeavors were Mel and Betty Sembler.  

Next year there will be another conference.  I hope Mike and Rhonda will stay at it.  They did an outstanding job as usual. But under the circumstances I could not fault them for stepping away.  Next year I will again seek funds to support this worthy cause, and next year no potential donor will be distracted by infighting within our own crowd. I am very distraught and disappointed at what has happened here,  but I will get over it by next Tuesday.  I will continue to supply information, as I always  have, to any and all parties who are willing to help keep this important  story aloft.  

Thank you,

Wes Fager

[ This Message was edited by: wesfager on 2003-08-06 14:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: wesfager on 2003-08-06 14:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: wesfager on 2003-08-07 19:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: wesfager on 2003-08-09 18:09 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
es Fager
www.thestraights.com

\"If David Miscaviage can go to his deposition as Admiral Farragut, then Keith Henson can go as Bozo the Clown.\"  Wes Fager

Offline the inmatte

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 12:13:00 AM »
hey or hi ,what it is?
i hope i did'nt offend any weak minded kidds
that watch str8 tv channel 929 but i'm too damn
old to let any goddamn thing i say or do to hold
me down.{anyone remember 5-point restraint}or
are yall a bunch of thankful kidds that the place
"saved your life"
in my people we just call this a path

msg

::argue::

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 06:49:00 AM »
It's not that I didn't want to be there.  I wish I could've been at the conference.  If for no other reason than to meet so many of the people who post here and over on the Straight Alumni message board.
But for me to travel from Cincinnati to Florida is just an impossibility right now. Perhaps one day the conference will be held a little closer to Ohio, then I'll be there for sure.
From the sounds of Wes' report a good time was had by all who attended.

Don
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 04:22:00 PM »
Dear Wes,

I wrote to Oprah Winfrey about my story!  Who knows if she will take an interest, just a thought.

Heather

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 10:37:00 PM »
Thank you Heather.

Wes Fager
es Fager
www.thestraights.com

\"If David Miscaviage can go to his deposition as Admiral Farragut, then Keith Henson can go as Bozo the Clown.\"  Wes Fager

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 11:34:00 PM »
You Keep on kickin butt Wes!  You are number one in my book.  I am currently trying to uncover the goings on between Mel Sembler and the Rahall brothers to see just what exactly caused the fall-out of support that led to the Straight Program being  re-located to the ole Milton Roy Building.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline nicoleesther

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 12:44:00 AM »
Hi Wes,

My name is Nicole....I am a So CAl Survivor...Maybe you read my profile...I think it's very cool that your now an advocate...I help shut down So CAl through the state licensing board....Have you had any luck with the licensing boards? I know it depends on the state...It appears the more conservative the state is the more Straight and places like them appear to be able to exist! Straight was only open a year in CA...Straight definately had politicians in their bed...

I just discovered this sight...I wish I would have known about the conference because I would have gone!!!

Nicole

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 02:20:00 AM »
::bangin::

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 07:21:00 AM »
85 DJ,

If you go to my web page, on the left,  Articles and Reports / Who are they? Straight officials,
you will see that local Tampa TV mogul Sam G. Rahal had joined Straight's board of directors at least as early as October 1979. [BTW,  in 1987 Straight co-founder Joseph Zappala bought Tucson Greyhound Park, an Arizona dog racing track, from George Gillett for $10 million.  At the time of the sale George Gillett was the former owner of Tampa WTVT Channel 13.]

Wes
es Fager
www.thestraights.com

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2003, 07:31:00 AM »
Nice to meet you Nicole and great job in shutting them out west.  

Problem with state license boards is that they must have specific reports of specific accusations of abuse to investigate.  Miller Newton got caught by the prosecutors in Bergen County so he changed the name from Kids of Bergen County to Kids of North Jersey and moved to neighboring Hudson County.  So the clock started ticking all over again.  In other words Hudson officials had to wait for abuses to surface in their own county,  they couldn't look back at his history in Bergen County.

Anyway we at the Oakton Institute are more into researching and documenting the case against them, than being activist. There are other groups out there doing that.   We do advocate suing state licensing personell who know of the abuse,  who know of their roots in abuse,  and yet continue to license them.  And we do attempt to expose Republicans who accept their money in exchange for favors.  
Welcome aboard,

Wes Fager
es Fager
www.thestraights.com