Author Topic: Troubled Parent Industry  (Read 1807 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Re: Troubled Parent Industry
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 09:15:35 PM »
Quote from: "Neil W"
Quote from: "Antigen"
Guest/who, here's an interesting thought that occurs to me while reading your post. It's clear to many around here, based on your language as well as your pretzel logic, that you are among the most thoroughly indoctrinated people around here. I know, some are convinced that you're doing it all for the money. And I have little doubt that there's some money into the mix. But that doesn't explain it all very satisfactorily to me. There are other ways to make money and most people will gravitate to a profession or vocation that they enjoy or find worthwhile on some level.
Unless I was a full time Educational consultant I couldn’t imagine making enough money refering in this industry to sustain a living.  
You start out in the above post attributing the cause of societal breakdown and troubled youth to the progressive institutionalization of child rearing and dissolution of families. I happen to agree with that. But then you propose as a solution further institutionalization of child rearing through socialized medicine? It doesn't make any sense, who!
Let me go back and reread my post... Well I guess I did say that.  My first solution was to have one parent drop out of the work force but many parents just cant do this easily enough without selling the house, selling a car and moving into a condo or step down neighborhood. But I just don’t see many doing this.. should they?  I think so, but without counselling or advice I don’t think many parents would think of this (maybe because they subconsciously don’t want to give up the lifestyle, I don’t know, but I don’t think this is a big reason, most parents would do anything for their kids).  When we depend on others (non family members......for daycare, public school, neighbours) then it is natural to seek a solution with others also and not to look inward when in a crisis.    This would have been the natural next step 75 years ago, but it just isn’t today.
I think what I am trying to say is that I am not proposing that further institutionalization is the best solution, but rather it is the best logical next step in our society and the way it is structured for parents to raise kids.  I would argue it is just out of convenience.

Here's my often stated answer to the frequently asked question "Well, what do you propose as an alternative?" Raise your own damned kids! If you want your kid to grow up to be a secure, competent, successful adult then keep them around. Don't segregate them into herds of children tended by temporary keepers. Don't work two jobs and hire a nanny or sign them up for a bunch of after-school and summer programs. If you're short of money, start a small business and employ them in it.
That decision needs to be made before people have kids.  People need to structure their lives around one income and live within the budget.  Its natural today to form a life style made up of two incomes and decide to have kids and see daycare as an acceptable way to keep you both employed with the thought that you can provide your children with much more things or stuff, better life!.

Whats better..... dropping off your kid at soccer practice in a 12 year old dodge van, faded socks, wide eyed, a little apprehensive  or dropping your kid off in a dark blue late model Beemer with white socks right out of the package who fits right in with the other kids.

The kid in the van probably cant wait to get home and tell his family about the game and see his dad after work and the kid in the beemer wants to go to a friends house instead of going home because his parents are out again.  But who knows this?  Besides being taught through modelling from you own parents how does a person know the best way to structure a family environment?  How do we get the word out?

Can a nuclear family just transform itself that quickly and go back to the values of the pre 60’s without any training or counselling?

Remembering back to my circumstances my first knee jerk reaction was to take my daughter to Maine for 6 months where we had a place in a town with a winter population of 18 people where I could just get her away from all the negative stimuli that was affecting her and allow us time with just her and I.  But even though I thought the problem could be resolved by bringing my daughter closer the thought of having an industry which specializes in helping kids out of situations like these I felt the 6 months in Maine might be short-changing her, I am not an experienced therapist.

So I think the parental instincts are there but the solutions available (and the ones being marketed) are all outside of the family.

WTF?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 10:12:46 PM »
I offered to run a weekend long experience for the dudes at Astart to give them a taste of what it is really like, but didn't get any takers.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 09:31:35 AM »
So we need a troubled parent industry NOW...like yesterday.

Anyone have any suggestions?  There is a big warehouse for rent close to where I work.  No one will ever hear them scream.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 06:35:05 PM »
Quote from: "Who has a plan?"

Anyone have any suggestions?  There is a big warehouse for rent close to where I work.  No one will ever hear them scream.

It needs to be far away from where anyone could here us scream.  I would suggest starting with primal "Scream" therapy.  We should limit it to parents who have at least one teenager in the house... charge a large fee (which could support a local donation) and we could have the teenagers working on a community project while the parents are in the program.
This is not a bad idea.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: "Who has a plan?"

It needs to be far away from where anyone could here us scream.  I would suggest starting with primal "Scream" therapy.  We should limit it to parents who have at least one teenager in the house... charge a large fee (which could support a local donation) and we could have the teenagers working on a community project while the parents are in the program.
This is not a bad idea.

Screaming parent

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 12:32:52 AM »
I think you are a bit onto a good concept here, but may I suggest a different route

Possibly, we could employ the services of a crime tv show to help us stage a reenactment of what it is really like in a program. Most of the problem here is that these parents aren't seeing the full story so its easy for them to dismiss the words of people they have already made up their mind not to give any respect to. So don't you think it would help them to understand if we were to actually show the techniques used in restraint, isolation and the systematic torture. Literally show the parents just how miserable it is to live that life even for a few moments.

I don't suggest actually conducting a "Troubled Parent Program" simply because a violent demonstration is not exactly my taste in activism. Although it would be extremely satisfying to see a program parent slammed to the ground and restrained (like I was) I just don't think this kind of seminar would go very far before we would be arrested and brought up on charges... but the question remains, why would it be illegal for us to to this to the parents when its considered treatment to for the staff to do it to their children?... why does that make it sound like a better idea?... lol well, I still don't recommend it.

I have said since day one that we NEED to make a documentary... even a series of short video clips. I myself don't have the money, but I would be willing to give any and all effort to help organize the project if others are willing to participate. I just rarely get a response from Fornits when I call out for participation so I tend to keep those plans within a specific group of trusted individuals. HOWEVER... if any of you are willing to collaborate on a film project (in which we can include some "Troubled Parent Program" content) please feel free to PM me.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]