Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Who Am I Discovery/Whitmore

I See Mark - Where's Cheryl?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Anonymous:
Whitmore Academy Civil Case Settles Out of Court
Posted At : November 19, 2008 9:16 PM | Posted By : B
Related Categories: Lawsuits, Programs
Ex-school owners OK $450,000 settlement 8 students accused couple of abusing and hazing them By Ethan Thomas
Deseret News
Published: November 19, 2008 The former operators of a Nephi school for troubled youths agreed to a $450,000 settlement to
eight former students who alleged they were abused and hazed while there. Mark and Cheryl Sudweeks, the former owners
and operators of the now failed Whitmore Academy, came under fire in 2005 when several students accused them of various
types of abuse that led to criminal charges being filed against Cheryl Sudweeks.
A 4th District Court civil suit seeking damages in the case was settled Monday.
"We are happy to get it behind us," said Susan Schacherer, a plaintiff whose granddaughter attended Whitmore.
"Does it undo the damage that caused us to bring the lawsuit to begin with? No. The window of opportunity to help these kids
was lost. The money can't replace that."
The complaint filed in Juab County said that the Whitmore Academy, which was advertised as a facility for "teens looking to
accelerate their education intellectually, emotionally and spiritually," was actually nothing of the sort.
The complaint alleges that some students enrolled at the Whitmore Academy were physically bound with plastic handcuffs for
several hours, others were forced to spend periods of time outside without any clothing on, and some were forced to sleep in
a space referred to as the "shelf room."
The shelf room was a small, enclosed area where students could neither sit up, fully stretch out, and was located 10 feet off
the ground, according to the complaint. The Sudweeks were also accused of recruiting students and encouraging the students
to use violence against other youths to enforce the rules.
There were also accusations of "environmental abuse" due to problems with the sewage system. Students were asked to not
flush used toilet paper down the toilet, and the complaint states that "soiled toilet paper was stored in open trash bags that
were left in the bathrooms." There was also an apparent problem with mouse feces and rodents, among other accusations.
Schacherer said that when she and her daughter visited the Whitmore Academy, they had no idea that these types of things
were happening and that apparently they were duped.
Schacherer's granddaughter now lives in Texas with her mother and still harbors animosity toward the people she believes
mistreated her.
"I don't think that she feels like the settlement was justified for what she went through," Schacherer said. "She realized this
was the best we could do and that is the way it is. She still has bitter feelings."
In September of 2006, Cheryl Sudweeks pleaded no contest to four class C misdemeanor counts of hazing and agreed to meet
all court-ordered requirements and pay a fee.
In April, Gregory Kutz, the Government Accountability Office's managing director of Forensic Audits and Special Investigations,
used several examples of problems at the Whitmore Academy and other behavior modification schools to show that boot camp
therapy companies use deceptive practices enrolling troubled teens in programs where they can end up abused and
neglected.
"The biggest part of the problem was that there was no regulation and oversight, and Utah is jam-packed with these types of
facilities," Schacherer said.
Source: http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705264131,00.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-mail: [email protected]
© 2008 Deseret News Publishing Company | All rights res

:cheers:

Anonymous:
What type of "ANGELS"  Cop a Plea in a criminal case.....and settle a civil case; rather than go to court and defend themselves?

Angel  ????  

Yea, right! ::evil::

Lolita:
And it ended... too late. I wish I could've been part of it - I lied in my deposition for fear of being sent back to that place, or to another facility as I was still a minor when the deposition was taken. Too scared... too mortal. Maybe if the court had seen my evidence, they would've gotten just what they deserved. For more info, read my thread...

psy:

--- Quote from: "Lolita" ---And it ended... too late. I wish I could've been part of it - I lied in my deposition for fear of being sent back to that place, or to another facility as I was still a minor when the deposition was taken. Too scared... too mortal. Maybe if the court had seen my evidence, they would've gotten just what they deserved. For more info, read my thread...
--- End quote ---

This deposition was in the criminal, not civil case, correct?

Lolita:

--- Quote from: "psy" ---
--- Quote from: "Lolita" ---And it ended... too late. I wish I could've been part of it - I lied in my deposition for fear of being sent back to that place, or to another facility as I was still a minor when the deposition was taken. Too scared... too mortal. Maybe if the court had seen my evidence, they would've gotten just what they deserved. For more info, read my thread...
--- End quote ---

This deposition was in the criminal, not civil case, correct?
--- End quote ---

Correct.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version