Author Topic: HR 6358 (Status)  (Read 1033 times)

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
HR 6358 (Status)
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:39:29 AM »
"HR 6358, Stop Child Abuse in Residential Programs for Teens Act of 2008"  did not become law. Look for it to come back up as another number or to be reintroduced. Hopefully corrections and revisions will be made to put the necessary teeth into this legislation.

Source: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-6358
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
Re: HR 6358 (Status)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:47:26 AM »
I'm really tired of everything that should be done just falling through.

I am glad we get another chance to revise this bill but I am disappointed that it wasn't even voted on in the senate. I understand there are many other pressing issues but this at least needs to reach the desk of our president.

Well looks like we have a lot of work to do before we can make this happen.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:12:30 AM »
The bill SUCKS. It got its 15 minutes of fame... time to go to plan B ::unhappy::  ::unhappy::  ::unhappy::  ::unhappy::

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:51:54 AM »
There is a Q&A page linked to this site (which is nongovernmental, btw). Here's what's on that page thus far:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Community Q&A
Q&A on H.R. 6358 [110th]: Stop Child Abuse in Residential Programs for Teens Act of 2008

Here vistors to the site like you can pose questions about the topic above, and if you know answers to other questions you can do a good civic deed by helping others out with an answer. All question and answering is anonymous.

If you have a question, read through the questions already asked below. If your question has not already been asked, you can submit a new question at the bottom.

H.R. 6358 [110th]: Stop Child Abuse in Residential Programs for Teens Act of 2008

Jul 2, 2008 12:56 PM   
    Does this bill include monitoring devices such as security cameras to be installed in all facilities? - Show 2 Answers

A1: No it does not. [Answer submitted on Sep 16, 2008 5:47 AM]

A2: no - there is no mention of it anywhere. It is a huge shortcoming,and oversight to think that merely stipulating adherence will make it so. That there are means for reporting abuse, and periodic evaluations, in no way ensures that the most common forms of abuse do not occur - such as the emotional and verbal abuse that is so difficult to detect and report. [Answer submitted on Oct 25, 2008 12:04 AM][/list]

Oct 25, 2008 3:02 AM   
      Will this bill hold Robert Lichfield accountable? - Show 1 Answer

A1: Perhaps, if private right of action for lawsuits is included in final bill. [Answer submitted on Dec 1, 2008 1:03 AM][/list]

Nov 13, 2008 11:29 AM   
        Who is to determine what is considered "humiliating" treatment or "damages the self-respect" of the child? Isn't free access to a telephone determental to youth in drug treatment? - Show 5 Answers

A1: Yes it is detremental to the child to have free access to phone because who knows who they are calling. I think that the people that run the place should be able to determine what is humiliating or what damages the self respect of the child; because if the parent who put them in the program didn't trust them enough to determine that then whats the point in putting them there to get help. [Answer submitted on Nov 22, 2008 10:03 PM]

A2: Are we going to trust more government intervention in education after what they have done to the public schools over the last 100 years. The federal government and the state government juvenile justice systems have a ton more child abuse allegations than private schools ever dreamed about having. They need to keep to themselves and nurse their own failures rather than exporting their failures to the obviously more successful private sector. [Answer submitted on Dec 6, 2008 11:52 AM]

A3: I was abused in a 'behavior modification program'. Because I was unable to leave, had no access to a telephone, and had all letters screened by a staff member I was unable to report it to my parents or the police. While it may be detrimental to have access to a phone certainly when weighed against possible child abuse it is preferable. [Answer submitted on Dec 11, 2008 4:08 AM]

A4: I think that free access to a hotline does not mean 'free access' to say.. a drug dealer. That said, I would think that this is no more or less detrimental to an adult in rehab. People, including youth, will do drugs if that's what they want to do. And yes, to their own detriment. You can't impose change on others. And change, forced change, does not imply growth... it takes growth to sustain change. [Answer submitted on Jan 5, 2009 9:49 PM]

A5: Regarding treatment that damages self-respect... In the mental health profession there are ethical standards that serve as guidelines. Given this legislation targets programs that claim to treat such a population, i would think that would serve as a guide. [Answer submitted on Jan 5, 2009 9:54 PM][/list]

Nov 14, 2008 6:13 AM   
          Who took all of the teeth out of this bill and how can we put them back in? - Answer This Question[/list]
          -------------- • -------------- • --------------