Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Facility Question and Answers

Oakley School

(1/2) > >>

Anonymous:
please give me some info on it. thanks.

Oscar:
Well, it isn't that much we have been able to find out. The program was started in 1998. Before AEG purchased them in 2004, it was the less stricter program working closely with Island View, which is a real lockdown. Whether it is used as a step-down program as it was in the old days, we have not been able to find out.

They state on their homepage that you have to be interviewed in order to go there, but several have been transferred from wilderness programs to the program, so how are they interviewed? In the field?

The have both genders both they live separated in two dorms. It is the two houses place opposite each other at the lake. Detainees are living in a room with 4 persons.

They use a level system with 4 ordinary levels and a punishment level.

Internet access is possible after a month if the detainee manipulate himself or herself through the levels. Avoid the "lower" level which is their punishment level.

It is a "lower your head and lick the shoes of the staff when possible" program. They are not going around and restraining people all the time. The detainees knows about Island View or are being told about this place when entering the program and this term is hanging over their head as the Sword of Damocles. That is their disciplinary strategy.

According to threads on the facebook and myspace groups as well as livejournal entries, the therapy doesn't work and if it is you who are going you better save money for real therapy once you reach adulthood.

We are expanding our wiki datasheet about them and until the US versions are syncronized here is the most recent version on the European server.

Anonymous:
I have heard they have real problems keeping the campus drug free.

meeshy1342:

--- Quote ---
--- End quote ---

I attended Oakley and Island View (among the many programs I went to). I completed both of those programs.

I left Oakley in Spring 2003. While I was a student there I can recall 3 major instances of kids having sex or bringing/using drugs on campus. The day before I left was probably the biggest bust, apparently this girl had been bring a bunch of drugs on campus from her home visits (pot, acid, cocaine, prescription painkillers, etc.). Most of the school was in trouble either for participating in the drugs/sex, or knowing about it but not saying anything. I can't really blame Oakley for all that stuff though....The whole point of a step-down program is to give students more responsibility and freedom. It wasn’t too hard to earn levels and people went on home visits pretty frequently....I feel like you're always going to have some people who take advantage of situations like that.  

I felt like Oakley was a pretty good step down. I really appreciated how their academic program was a little more serious then the other programs I had been to (especially since I was transition from Oakley straight to college….no way I could’ve made that transition had I still been @ Boulder Creek Academy).

If anyone has any questions about Island View or Oakley feel free to ask  :)

Oscar:

--- Quote from: Park Record ---The Oakley School announces closing
by Bubba Brown, Park Record, April 21 - 2017

The Oakley School, a college preparatory boarding school that also provides therapeutic services for students, is closing its doors after 19 years.

The school announced the news Thursday on its Facebook page and website, oakley-school.com. In an interview, David Prior, the school's chief operating officer, said administrators have had trouble in recent years attracting enough students who are a fit for the school's niche blend of academic rigor and therapy.

Traditionally, the school has been ideal for academically inclined students transitioning out of mental health or substance abuse treatment facilities. The school helps bridge the gap to college, but Prior said more therapeutic treatment centers now provide that kind of support as part of their programs, making facilities like The Oakley School less necessary.

"There's a lot more work being done throughout the industry to have transitional services being given," he said. "That's the good part. But there is a sad side of it, to close, because it's such a wonderful program, with wonderful staff and faculty."

Currently, the school is home to 26 students in grades nine through 12, who will finish out the school year, which will culminate in a final graduation ceremony for seniors May 26. Prior said the mood around the school has been somber since the staff broke the news of the closing to the students Wednesday. They will be allowed to stay on campus until June 30, but underclassmen will have to find new schools or programs.

"It's been a sad moment for people," he said. "They've been very supportive with each other, but it's been a sad moment."

However, the school is hoping its final months also serve as a celebration of what it's meant to the hundreds of students from all over the country it has shepherded through adolescence within its halls.

"It's been a place of life-changing experiences," Prior said. "Just this week, I was told by a staff member that we had a visitor on campus that was a previous (alumnus). They just wanted to show their family — their an adult now — the place where their life was changed. I think that has been the experience for countless individuals."

Prior added that the future of the school's facilities — including its main school house — is unclear. The school is currently leasing the property.

"We're looking at various options right now, but there's no firm plan on what we're going to be doing with the property," he said.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version