Author Topic: Teen Suicide Bombers  (Read 3256 times)

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Re: Teen Suicide Bombers
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Very eloquent thesis on the ends justify the means, but that philosophy is not limited to the repubilican party, nor is the treatment industry.  While republicans have been big supporters on the war on drugs the democrats have been big supporters of forced treatment.  California Proposition 5 sought to do just this (treatment for nonviolent drug offenders as well as create new state based programs for teens)  Both parties see the same (largely imagined) problem but favor differing solutions.  Both see their means as justifying similar (impossible to attain) ends, that is winning the war on drugs.

When we have a government system that for non-violent victimless crime is referring people, not to jail, but for institutions designed to reform their thinking... that's re-education.  Whether for kids or adults it's wrong... even if it worked (which it doesn't).

I share your fear, though, about brainwashing gaining widespread as an acceptable technique for more things.

I agree this is not really a partisan issue, it's just that the current slant in our culture is towards the conservative. One of my pet peeves of the Liberal side is that they are too quick to interfere in the form of misguided do-gooders. It was Hillary and Tipper, after all, that intended to lead the fight to protect children against violent media; a stand which I think steps on my toes as both a parent and a consumer and has not a shred of science behind it to justify the necessity.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Re: Teen Suicide Bombers
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »
Quote from: "FemanonFatal2.0"

Actually this isnt as much of a nonsense concept as you are insinuating it would be. It wouldn't teach kids to be rebellious, instead it would help them to understand they have the freedom to choose their own path in life. If the right wings can do it why cant the left wings? Honestly I'm not a fan of either but I tend to lean to the left on most social issues, education being one of them. So my question is this, what stops us from starting a school to save teens from their psycho, controlling selfish parents and teach them a thing or two about the real world, like REAL American history including an emphasis on current events and the last few decades, and teach about real life lessons. How inappropriate would it be for a high school to teach a class about relationships and dealing with grief, addiction, illness and life struggles? Especially when we would be educating them instead of just punishing and forbidding them to ever partake in any normal life experiences. We would essentially be creating the next generation of activists... which in this day and age have dwindled dangerously so much so that our government thinks they can get away with just about anything. Dick Chaney shot a guy in the face for fucks sake. wtf?

anyway Im in support of it and I garrantee you if I had the money I would.

Politics and culture norms prevent us from starting such a school. There are many aspects of child-rearing that are taken for granted, but the most basic myth is that the kind of adult a person becomes is dictated solely by how the person was raised. Mothers take on themselves all the credit or blame for how their children turn out. Modern neurology and behaviorists that base their research in biology and evolution beg to differ. Children are not 'blank slates' upon which parents and society can imprint any outcome they wish if only they could figure out the right parenting techniques to do so. That was my point in bringing up the failure of attempting to design society from the top-down. It doesn't work. Recent research points out that not only does a 'one size fits all' approach to children doomed to fail, but that to a certain extent parenting is impotent to form a particular outcome. Some personality traits are genetically based in the way that right-handedness is. The science is in its infancy, but evidence strongly supports that a complex, innate human, nature exists. Further, the research suggests the current peer group anyone finds themselves in (child or adult) can influence behavior far more than parenting can. People adjust to their current social milieu and can readjust to a new milieu. As evolved social animals, we wish to be accepted by our peers and thus are adept at doing this. Thus programs work as long as the milieu is controlled (a theme we've seen stated often on Fornit's). I direct you to Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature, an excellent book.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »