Author Topic: The Prophet- Khalin Gibran  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Prophet- Khalin Gibran
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:45:22 AM »
The last time I passed out on the floor of my brother's pad I noticed a worn out old copy of this book. It didn't strike me as significant until I took the time to read the wiki article about CEDU a little bit ago.

What exactly is the significance of this book in the 1990's context of CEDU?

and no dish.. Not toilet paper or paper for rolling joints.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: The Prophet- Khalin Gibran
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:43:37 AM »
The propheets (experientials- sleep and food deprived in isolation with light-sound manipulation undergoing dynamic exercises)were "inspired" by a perversion of The Prophet.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:46:31 AM »
Ok.. tell me more please? What was the perversion?

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:53:21 AM »
Mel read the book, the propheet.

He claims it cured or almost cured all his ailments that were unresponsive to all forms of treatment.

He worked himself into a scientological lather about it's 'healing powers' and decided to take the 7 best chapters and create a 24 hour marathon for each chapter (brothers keeper = friendship) etc. etc. (what cult/religion doesn't have it's own sacred text?)

During each propheet, 1 of the 3 staff members would open the book and read a passage from that chapter about once an hour. When they'd finish reading their would be an incredibly uncomfortable and long silence as they'd scan the entire room with a culty and insidious glare.

Drove me bat shit crazy how the staff were reveling in the fact that they they were indelibly imprinting their hogwash into our noodles with these post passage reading glares.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:34:51 AM by dishdutyfugitive »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 01:25:39 AM »
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh.. *makes note to self to throw brother's copy of the book into the nearest dumpster next time he is stateside.

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 07:03:25 AM »
Seriously, run a test.
I tried, about four years ago, to read a selection from Gibran's Prophet to a friend. I was not trying to be emotional at the time, I just wanted him to hear the entire selection. I could not get through it without welling up with tears and my voice cracking and having to stop.

The images that were indelibly linked to my connections with the text were very similar to why there are some songs from that era that I simply have the same response to.

This is {was} how Media is used throughout the program, but with systematic and heightened mysticism inside of propheets and workshops.

:deal:
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:39:09 AM »
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Offline stina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 08:56:06 PM »
the sad thing is, and some may disagree with me, i dunno, that that book is pretty profound. and they took it and twisted it to their culty advantage, just like they did with john lennon's music in the i and me and beyond. damn loons.
I used to be Snow White but I drifted.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »
Btw, it is KAHLIL Gibran.

The book was quite popular with the Sixties generation, hence, it was quite popular with proponents of the Human Potential movement. CEDU wasn't the only organization exploiting its popularity and plasticity (interpretation open to misuse). Joe Gauld made good use of it as well (nowhere near as integrally as CEDU did, however)...as soapy quotes to prove his points, or to add palatability or credibility to his books and speeches re. Hyde School.

Another text that was also popular, especially amongst those inclined towards "Christian behavior modification," was Why Am I Afraid to Tell You Who I Am?: Insights Into Personal Growth, by John Powell. Not sure when that was first published, but it was before 1971 (latest edition appears to be 1995 or later).
-------------- • -------------- • --------------