General Interest > The Melting Pot

Music Instrument that you know how to play

<< < (2/6) > >>

Anonymous:

--- Quote from: "3xsaSeedling" ---I whistle.. ::)

:roflmao:  
--- End quote ---

I also am an avid whistler, and quite good. Here are some things I would like to tell you about whistling. First, it is useful if you can obtain a brass instrument, and some instruction on the use of it. The reason for this is that the musculature required and the workout of your air and embouchure (the use of your mouth parts to produce sound) is great for whistling. You will find an increase almost exponential in the power of your own instrument to produce clear and effective sound with even minimal regular practice of the brass instrument. Second it is useful to have knowledge of music notation, or, recording device. Because whistling is inspired and impromptu, one may come up with clever original sequences which are forgotten by memory. It is my suspecting that with early and thorough musical training so many more of us would become accomplished composers of great musics. One reason I will tell you this is that a good number, exact number unknown, of the more complex musical scores of symphonies by recognized major composers have as their basic melody a simple "folk" tune. In other words, somebody once whistled or hummed or put together a nice uncomplicated song and that song was effective in producing, eliciting, favorable sense and was passed along and entered a familiar lexicon, and at point one more knowledgable to compose complex harmony and melody enhancements did so until, whalla, you have a symphony and many many people are liking to hear it, to dance to it, to sing it as an operatic, to play it joined with other musicians to produce, from the original simple tune whistled by a good person in a moment of inspired revelry, quite complex pleasing sounds.

That being said, I would like now to have two further topics, one is, your favorite, or well known whistling tunes. For example, Andy Griffith theme song.

Next further topic is, what do you most like to whistle of other music.

I did read the introduction to this message forum, nevertheless, I consider whistling to be of seriousness and I see no reason for your little cartoon guy laughing upon your admission of your talent. If the moderator wishes to remove my serious post, all the better, as it is quite serious and therefore not within the guidelines for this message forum. Nevertheless may those who read be served with better appreciation in future for the art of whistling which has donated so much. Think of a whistle as an egg, laid by the chicken of the music you heard that you are whistling, that you are eating rather than killing the chicken. Or think of that tune you made up yourself as an egg, and what I mean by "undetermined source" is the, you know, fertilization of the egg in the chicken that laid it which is somehow your mind - but you didn't invent fertilization, did you - and with proper respect could hatch a chick that becomes a chicken of more complexity able to in subsequence hatch further eggs of enjoyment.

Now I will give you a quote that shows by its famousness that whistling has been and therefore is likely to remain an inestimable contributor to this and any society in which people have figured it out, that people are always eager to learn to whistle, or, once having learned, to help others to learn to whistle:

"Just put your lips together and blow."

3xsaSeedling:
ty, guest, for the info.
The   :roflmao:   was directed@the 'crack' following my post. I was
anticipating that, so...

Fact is, I said 'whistle'   ( :notworthy:   you GO Mae)  which I
frequently do when I can't hit a note while singing along.

try another castle:
well... define "know"

I "know" how to play the banjo... as in.. I suck at the banjo, but I know how to make sounds come out of it that slightly resembles music.

Hedge:
Guitar, in about the same level of proficiency as Try Another Castle "knows" the banjo.

Relatedly, I'd love to play the banjo someday! Am thinking 6-string, so I could transfer my mediocre guitar skills.  :birthday:

none-ya:
Guitar.
Drums.
Some keys.
And a little harmonica.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version