Author Topic: Idaho entomology 101: le Snoach  (Read 4044 times)

Offline stina

• View Profile
Re: Idaho entomology 101: le Snoach
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 02:09:29 PM »
Quote from: "try another castle"
Actually, assassin bugs/kissing bugs are in the states, too. Assassin bugs (reduviidae) are a family, so it contains many genus and species. (specifically, 47 genera and 154 species.) in North America.

that is fabulous news.

Also, the american species do not poop while they are feeding, and since the disease is transmitted through the poop when it gets into the bloodstream, they are of little risk, imo.

OH   MY   GOD.

Yeah, those are gross, but I still hate all of the different kinds of waterbugs the most. I can't even look at pictures of those without freaking out. We used to get a real big nasty type in the pond that would hang out on the bottoms of inner tubes. They would also bite the living shit out of you if you fucked with them. Remember those guys?

ya, i kinda remember the big waterbugs, but that memory is fairly subtle compared to the memory of not being able to keep your feet on the bottom of the pond because of the leeches. leeches trump waterbugs, for me at least. i suppose it's a personal preference kind of thing.

How could the leaf-foots get tangled in your hair? Don't you have straight hair? I'm amazed they never got tangled in my hair, cause it was a mess. Although, I don't think any ever landed there to begin with. They probably knew that it wouldn't be a very good idea. It could be due to their back legs, since that's where they flare out. Did you end up combing a lot of back legs out of your hair during late summer and fall?

i never thought to look for the legs, i was probably very busy eating and obsessing about how to get through the next rap without being noticed. and i couldn't figure out what the deal with my hair was either...super straight and fine...maybe it initially looked like a good landing strip and then things got out of out of control real quick. they probably saw your hair as their proverbial nightmare and knew to stay clear.

Also, I had no idea junebugs made noise. My first sublet after school had a bit of a population, specifically in my room. It didn't  bother me, though. They ate little.

i was conferring with some of the other so cal transplants that i work with and it's like a - hiss. hiss. hiss  - type thing.

Dunno about june bugs, but you might be getting a blast from the past, depending on how many trees have around your house. (you won't see the bugs now. They're sleeping.. shhh.) Although, I think you said you got there in fall, so they would have been coming indoors to find places to hibernate, so if you didn't see any, they might not be in that region. (However, the pacific northwest is their origin habitat.)

good to know. i'll keep my nose tuned and ready. i got a little bit sucked into the bug thing myself yesterday, work was slow, and as i was reading up on the killer bugs i followed a wiki link to bedbugs...i've had several friends from the east coast whine mercilessly about those things and was curious. i was not prepared for what i found. did you know this?

"All bedbugs mate via a process termed traumatic insemination.[2][3][4] Instead of inserting their genitalia into the female's reproductive tract as is typical in copulation, males instead pierce females with hypodermic genitalia and ejaculate into the body cavity. This form of mating is thought to have evolved as a way for males to overcome female mating resistance.[5][6] Traumatic insemination imposes a cost on females in terms of physical damage and increased risk of infection.[7][8] To reduce these costs females have evolved internal and external "paragenital" structures[7][8] collectively known as the “spermalege”.[2][3][4] Within the True Bugs (Heteroptera) traumatic insemination occurs in the Prostemmatinae (Nabidae) and the Cimicoidea (Anthocoridae, Plokiophilidae, Lyctocoridae, Polyctenidae and Cimicidae), and has recently been discovered in the plant bug genus Coridromius (Miridae).[9]"

and this?

"Remarkably, in the genus Afrocimex both males and females possess functional external paragenitalia, and males have been found with copulatory scars and the ejaculate of other males in their haemolymph. There is a widespread misbelief that males inseminated by other males will in turn pass the sperm of both themselves and their assailants onto females with whom they mate.[10] While it is true that males are known to mate with and inject sperm into other males, there is however no evidence to suggest that this sperm ever fertilizes females inseminated by the victims of such acts.[3]"

i wonder if they're into bondage at all or if it's just good ole boy bug on boy bug action.

Anyway, tell one of them I said hi.

will do, as i'm running the other way and donning a burkha.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
I used to be Snow White but I drifted.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: Idaho entomology 101: le Snoach
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 12:29:18 AM »
lol. that's wild. They've refined fucking to stabbing. Oh man. You're so fuckin hot. I wanna stab you do bad.

Bedbugs are awful. Unbelievably difficult to get rid of.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »