Author Topic: John Looney: Link between PV and Timberlawn  (Read 6605 times)

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
John Looney: Link between PV and Timberlawn
« on: December 20, 2008, 03:45:03 PM »
Well I just found an interesting link between Peninsula Village and Timberlawn:
http://psychiatry.mc.duke.edu/Faculty/JLooneyCV.html
Look at this doctor's trail of pain. Remember awhile back, I said there were distinct similarities, well the source might be here. I want others to weigh in on their thoughts. Both places have very sick methods of treating youth. Both places treat youth more like depression and other problems are crimes not illnesses. Both facilities utilize restraints and isolation quite heavily.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 06:24:23 PM by iamartsy »

Offline KaTee

• View Profile
Re: PV and Timberlawn-An Interesting Link
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »
OMG! That is the guy alright. Evil bastard that he is. I swear this man is one of the most twisted people I have ever met. I wish I could get a pic of these two docs. I wonder how many people's trauma this one man is responsible for. I've got the creepy crawlies. UGH There has GOT to be a way to shut these evil buggers down!
Dr. Estabrook seemed really young when I met him and he smoked cigars, but I see he is still in practice in Texas.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: PV and Timberlawn-An Interesting Link
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:43:51 PM »
Judging by that CV you provided a link for, Looney was heavily involved at Timberlawn for many years, in several different capacities.

His involvement with Peninsula Behavioral Health also spanned several job descriptions. There was a complicated facility merger which looks like it may have already been completed. And it looks like he is still consulting on an as-needed basis:

SYSTEMS MEDICAL DIRECTOR, PENINSULA BEHAVIORAL HEALTH, Knoxville, Tennessee
This large non-profit health system contracted with Duke for Dr. Looney’s temporary administrative and clinical services for part of each week. The system is comprised of a 100 bed private psychiatric hospital, a large partial hospital system, two psychiatric units within general hospitals and four outpatient psychiatric clinics. It also includes a 100-bed residential treatment center for adolescents with severe difficulties. Geographically the system covers part of East Tennessee. It is the largest integrated behavioral health care system in Tennessee. Dr. Looney provided clinical consultation for adolescents admitted to the hospital and the residential treatment center, but he also has had administrative responsibility for all clinical programming and for activities of a medical staff of twenty psychiatrists. Peninsula Behavioral Health has been formed by a merger of four previously independent entities. It was Dr. Looney’s responsibility to integrate these different entities into one system. Dr. Looney served as the physician member of the Board of Peninsula Behavioral Health. This organizational program has been completed, and Dr. Looney now serves as a consultant as needed. The medical staff created an Award of Special Recognition* to honor Dr. Looney for building this system.

*Award of Special Recognition, Awarded by the medical staff of Peninsula Behavioral Health System, Knoxville, Tennessee, February 2001

I couldn't find him in Peninsula Hospital's directory; consultants are probably less than likely to be listed: http://www.peninsula-hospital.org/ph.cfm

Nevertheless, he still has attending privileges:
CURRENT HOSPITAL APPOINTMENTS

. . . <snip snip>

Peninsula Hospital – Attending Privileges
Knoxville, Tennessee
1987 to present

. . . <snip snip>

Consultation work in Tennessee:

Governor and Two Commissioners of State of Tennessee and Director of Eastern Tennessee Human Services and Mental Health Centers for ten counties. Establishment of: 1)Chance Residential Center for Adolescent Girls, Cookeville, Tennessee, 2) Indian Mound Residential Farm for Adolescent Boys, Sparta, Tennessee, 3) Lakeside Vocational Training Center, Smithville, Tennessee; and Cumberland Mountain School (a therapeutic school for vocational education of handicapped persons), Crossville, Tennessee. 1987-present.

Peninsula Psychiatric Hospital, Knoxville, Tennessee. Consultation regarding restructuring the adolescent residential program and consultation regarding difficult to manage cases, 1987-present.

Helen Ross McNabb Mental Health Center, Knoxville, Tennessee. This consultation extends services to public sector agencies in East Tennessee. 1993 - present.

Overlook Mental Health Center, Knoxville, Tennessee. Consultation regarding redesign of Child and Adolescent Services in a ten county mental health center, 1995.

Covenant Health, Behavioral Health Committee of the Board of Directors. Covenant Health is the largest health care system in Tennessee east of Nashville. Covenant developed a very large behavioral health component. This committee is a newly established committee of the Board. Served as the physician member of the Committee. Served to facilitate merger of Fort Sanders Health System, Peninsula Mental Health System, Park West Hospital, Methodist Hospital and Overlook Mental Health System. The merged entities create the Covenant Peninsula Health System, 1997-2000.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
Re: John Looney: Link between PV and Timberlawn
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 08:40:27 PM »
Dr. Looney ?

what kind of tunes are those?

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 11:17:16 PM »
Unpleasant tunes if you were in either facility.  Ursus, it never ceases to amaze me, the amount of information can compile and assemble. I don't know what to make of Dr. John Guy Looney. Most of the docs at Timberlawn were smug and narcissistic. The nurses ran the wards, not the doctors. My doctor was Robert D. Bennett. He made it sound like he trained at Columbia University, but I see here that he did not. He even told my parents that. Like I said, smug, narcissistic, and egotistical. Here is the link to his CV: http://www.dgapractice.com/cvs/cvbennett.htm

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 06:55:42 AM »
Well this certainly doesn't surprise me that you'd find a Doctor who worked an abusive psych hospital ending up working an abusive treatment program/duckfarm. We've seen cross pollination of former gulag employees to other parts of the industry before.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Robert Bennett
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
Quote from: "iamartsy"
Most of the docs at Timberlawn were smug and narcissistic. The nurses ran the wards, not the doctors. My doctor was Robert D. Bennett. He made it sound like he trained at Columbia University, but I see here that he did not. He even told my parents that. Like I said, smug, narcissistic, and egotistical. Here is the link to his CV: http://www.dgapractice.com/cvs/cvbennett.htm

Ah, but he was at Columbia! ...As a Staff Psychiatrist at the Student Mental Health Service and as an Instructor in Clinical Psychiatry. Not quite sure how that might qualify as the type of "training" implied, however.

Staff Psychiatrist 1984-1985
Columbia University Student Mental Health Service
New York City, New York

. . . <snip snip>

Columbia University 1984-1985
New York City, New York
Instructor in Clinical Psychiatry

Tell me, was he kinda short, and walked quickly?

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 02:37:04 PM »
The answer is yes. How did you know?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Robert D. Bennett
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 02:42:24 PM »
Quote from: "iamartsy"
The answer is yes. How did you know?

::evil::  Highly unscientific means of deduction, lol! I put on my tin hat and pointed it in the direction of Texas and concentrated real hard!!

:D

Offline KaTee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 01:36:56 PM »
It is my contention that this man truly lives up to his name. According to his bio he would have been around 39 years old when he was treating me at the big T. This man sure had his fingers in a lot of pies. What we need is to put this man out of business before he ruins another generation of kids. This dude should be up before an ethics board at the least.

From his pic on the curriculum vitae he has NOT aged gracefully. At first I did not recognize him. I wish we could find some photos of him from back then, but hey.

We should start some kind of letter writing deal and just deluge the mofo or the peeps responsible for hiring and keeping him on staff. If I got a hold of him I think a course of 5 points and 2 grams (2000 mgs) of Thorazine a day would be MY starting treatment regimen along with a year of room therapy. I have a friend who has offered to off the guy for me, but hey I am not that kind of person. My loss I guess.

Well I can dream can't I?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 12:48:34 PM »
looks like there is plenty of room for troubled teens to run around, play farm boy and get hold of the sperminator...

http://www.cumberlandmountainlodge.com
http://www.cumberlandmountainfarm.com/T ... yFarms.pdf

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 02:48:44 AM »
Oy vey! The man has bought some land in a beautiful part of TN and has gone to the birds. Yeech. I will remember never to stay there.