Author Topic: Please help... need parenting teen advice.  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Please help... need parenting teen advice.
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:28:24 PM »
Please help...I honestly don't know what to do.

I am a single mom of two teenage boys. "No dating" has been the rule until 16.
NO being alone with girls but you can group date and all that. Recently I let him invite her over for dinner and to go to the Living Stations of the Cross with our family.

What consequences would you suggest for a kid who lies and sneaks out to see his girlfriend?

Her mom is NOT on my same page. She thinks it's great that her daughter is "DATING" my son.   This little girl's mom is shacking up with a guy. It's a horribly immoral situation, and I don't know how to respond. I'm pretty sure they all just roll their eyes at me thinking I'm just a naive prude. He tells me he's going one place, and goes somewhere else.

I have no support from my son's dad---he is mute when it comes to sexual morality.

I really need some guidance here. Other than that, he's a pretty respectful and responsible kid. But dang it, he's just a kid!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
Re: Please help... need parenting teen advice.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:43:21 PM »
ugh. get OFF your religious high horse!

you shouldn't stop a teen from doing one of the most natural things in the world, seeking to feel loved. I would understand the hesitation if your child was a girl, but you have a son, and things are just a little different for them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with "dating" at a young age, what you are afraid of is sex.

Talk to him, set some guidelines and talk to him about the importance of waiting until he is old enough to understand the responsibility and consequences of sex. Try NOT to bring god or the bible into this one, because this should be a conversation about life and realistic expectations. I can pretty much guarantee he will not remain a virgin until he is married, and perpetrating that notion can be dangerous if you avoid talking about the real reasons to hold off on sex.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »
Femanon?

YHBT.

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:20:54 AM »
Yea it kind of seemed like it.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline maruska

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 07:58:44 AM »
Do you know Romeo and Juliet?
The more your restrict him, the more its going to attract him to the girl.  
They are growing up so fast (I know , I am an overprotective mother of 2 teenagers too:).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 01:06:28 PM »
we gotta answer to God for these kids, Catherine. you're swimming upstream. going against the flow. except in the rare case of a particular family raising an astonishing saint who never rebels or disobeys, most committed Catholic parents feel just this way. it's very hard and very unpopular.

when God gave us commandments, He knew we would rebel. still, He didn't smudge the outlines or soften the commandments. He gave them to us for our good. you've presented boundaries to your son for the same reason-- because you love him and believe these boundaries are best.

you tried to include girlfriend in important things-- family time, stations of the cross. your boy ignored your boundaries. he's not trustworthy enough, nor mature enough to choose his own boundaries. but God knew that's true about most our kids-- that's why they're still subject to their parents-- because they need us.

after a few serious mishaps with our sons and highschool dating, we revised the plan-- no dating in high school. it was too much temptation for them to handle (in areas of honesty, distraction from responsibilities, sex, intense and negative comparisons of 'her parents' and us etc.)

now you may not want to revise that much, but the week-long lock downs are rather flimsy. your boy lied about something that is very important to you-- your committment to support his spirtual life and his chastity. sneaking off with a favorite crush is indicationhe's got a problem with obedience and likewise indicates there's already been some damage to chastity-- at least philosophically, if not practically.

A headline on CA states the number one reason teens abandon their faith is sexual sin. that's a really really good reason to support an environment that promotes chastity. even before there were statistics, many parents suspected the correlation.

remain committed. stay quiet as you can. don't yell and continue to present very clear restrictions. pray. pray. pray more.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re. Please help... need parenting teen advice.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 01:25:47 PM »
Here's the answer to your problem, Catherine:

Quote from: "Auction-on-eBay"
“Pump, one of a kind formerly owned by current United States Ambassador to Italy …” Minimum bid: $300,000.

It'll keep chastity within the realm of possibility in the short run ... and in the long run, it'll be cheaper than a program.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: Re. Please help... need parenting teen advice.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 01:55:02 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Here's the answer to your problem, Catherine:

Quote from: "Auction-on-eBay"
“Pump, one of a kind formerly owned by current United States Ambassador to Italy …” Minimum bid: $300,000.

It'll keep chastity within the realm of possibility in the short run ... and in the long run, it'll be cheaper than a program.

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 01:58:53 PM »
Quote from: "MoniCatholic"
when God gave us commandments, He knew we would rebel. still, He didn't smudge the outlines or soften the commandments.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »
I come from another culture but if I had a 16 year old boy who didn't date at 16, I would have called the social services. I have a son who is 6 but is on his third girl-friend. They don't even consider the sexual aspect of a relationship, but they kiss each other when they arrive in school and it is general accepted to show feellings by our school administration.

I have to say that I worry for your son. People at that age should start to learn how to handle a relationship. Of course the sex thing will scare any parent as it certainly will scare me when the time comes, but information, information and yet more information is haft the work to prevent accidents. The other part is to meet your son with dialogue rather than judgment.

Keep your enemies close rather than on distance. Offer your son some time in the kitchen so he can prepare a "score meal". It will benefit you in the long run, because he will open up to you and knowledge is power in a parent-child relationship.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »
A lie is a lie is a lie. Last time my son lied to me, he was in "lock down" for a month. No computer use, he doesn't have a cell phone, no game systems and lots and lots of family time. When he asked if he could be let off early, we said, no we can't trust you. From that point on, we treated him like we couldn't trust him. That meant, he wasn't allowed to be left alone. He had to come with us everywhere. It was hard. but he had to earn back the trust.

Then we addressed the problem. For you, I would not allow him to see this girl without an adult present. That means he can't go to her house, since you don't know who else will be there. If you can, take him to school and pick him up. Do whatever you can to restrict his movements. Remember you don't trust him. Make him earn your trust.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 07:58:07 PM »
Same troll is same. 2/10

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »
I come from another culture but if I had a 16 year old boy who didn't date at 16, I would have called the social services. I have a son who is 6 but is on his third girl-friend. They don't even consider the sexual aspect of a relationship, but they kiss each other when they arrive in school and it is general accepted to show feellings by our school administration.

lol Gotta love the Europeans.  Programs dont have a chance to get a foot hold over there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 12:19:04 AM »
i find it frightening and disturbing to see parents not allow their kids to date at age 16, or see girls at any age for that matter. the development of their social skills hinges on experience....which they must get before they become an adult. if they wait untill they are older, they will be way behind their peers in their emotional and social development.

and people wonder why the most religious christians (that means catholics too lol) have the highest divorce rate. HA! i forgot where i read it, but there is a direct correlation, graphed in a gradual slope, between piety and failure of marriages.

Your son lied to you because he had no other choice in the name of love. you should respect that, not punish him for it. i can guess it takes balls to lie to a parent like you. it's possible to make sure he doesnt lie to you again without punishing him. children are not animals, obedience training only angers them more. have you considered letting him do whatever he wants with the girl as long as he promises abstinence, which he would not follow through with, guaranteed, it will only MAYBE delay the loss of his virginity. if he hasnt lost it already. in that case, maybe just make him promise to at least practice safe sex?

you are making yourself your son's worst enemy. there is no better way to start a war that to get between your son and a girl.  you should reconsider and let him be.

why are you so protective of your son's sexuality anyway? you need to relax. it's not a big deal. really.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »
Quote from: "Elsie."
A lie is a lie is a lie. Last time my son lied to me, he was in "lock down" for a month. No computer use, he doesn't have a cell phone, no game systems and lots and lots of family time. When he asked if he could be let off early, we said, no we can't trust you. From that point on, we treated him like we couldn't trust him. That meant, he wasn't allowed to be left alone. He had to come with us everywhere. It was hard. but he had to earn back the trust.

Then we addressed the problem. For you, I would not allow him to see this girl without an adult present. That means he can't go to her house, since you don't know who else will be there. If you can, take him to school and pick him up. Do whatever you can to restrict his movements. Remember you don't trust him. Make him earn your trust.

YOU ARE INSANE!!!!!

what a great way to alienate your kid! keep it up and he's going to NEED a program.