Author Topic: The Cheating Crisis in our Schools  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: The Cheating Crisis in our Schools
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 01:48:25 PM »
Here is another reference regarding Hyde School's high esteem for Lickona and Davidson, also from Malcolm's blog, color emphasis mine:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Date: January 06, 2006
Subject: Smart & Good High Schools

Hyde-DC gets some good ink in the December 14 issue of Education Week. "Researchers Urge Broad View on How to Build Character" is a review of a major study conducted by Thomas Lickona and Matt Davidson of the Center for the 4th and 5th R's (Respect and Responsibility) at SUNY-Cortland. Lickona established himself as a respected expert on character education with the publication of Educating for Character in 1992.

The study's exhaustive research included visits to 24 schools striving to carry the banner of character education and culminated in a final report entitled "Smart & Good High Schools." Having been longtime admirers of Lickona's work, we were proud to serve as sites for two of those visits at Hyde-Bath and Hyde-DC. The article quotes Head of School Joanne Goubourn and includes a candid photograph of Hyde-DC students in class. You can view the article on our Web site, click here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
The Crisis of Achievement and Self-Esteem
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 11:17:57 PM »
Yet another sanctimonious treatise from "cheating experts" Malcolm and Laura Gauld... I notice that they actually identified their source this time, which sounds just like the last source, which was not identified. Given that there still was an embargo on the Josephson Institute's Press Release at the time, it would appear that they had wanted to jump the gun on the earlier ink (see OP of this thread)...

Posted: Dec 15, 2008
Hyde Schools
Bath, ME

Gaulds Assert Achivement And Self-Esteem Lead To Increased Cheating

Rose Mulligan
Marketing and Media Outreach
207-443-7379
[email protected].

Copyright © 2007, Woodbury Reports, Inc.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 07:37:05 AM »
cheating experts have their own blog now:

http://hyde.typepad.com/parenting_exper ... s-way.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 08:20:07 AM »
I don't know. It seems like a pretty weak broth to me.  The "we think kids need to feel good about themselves all the time" stuff, where did they get that from?   To me and I am not expert, I think they are tryng to define a problem that parents can subscribe to.  Some clueless parent with $$$ want to know what is wrong with Jonny or Jane will stumble on this stuff and say "yes that right"   In marketing you identify a need and fill it, or create a need.   I think this pitch is in the same ranks as ring around the collier or halitosis.  

When i'm watchin' my tv
And that man comes on to tell me
How white my shirts can be
But he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarrettes as me
I can't get no, oh no no no
Hey hey hey, that's what i say

There is a lot to like in a Hyde education, but personally I am all lost in the supermarket.

I'm all lost in the supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
A guaranteed personality

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 08:21:54 PM »
lols.. They fancy themselves the answer to the banking crisis.

http://hyde.typepad.com/parenting_exper ... g-cri.html
The Banking Crisis: One School Identifies The Long-Term Solution

A $700 billion bail-out may stanch the bleeding on Wall Street, and may even quell some short-term economic fears around the world. But it is not the long-term solution to a crisis that has been building over time.

To the contrary: there is a new generation of kids sitting in high schools and colleges right now, trying to figure out how to do the same thing when they get older: how to become rich, at any cost, with little to no accountability.

There is a school that offers an alternative to this cycle of cheating that is rampant in our schools and is our culture – a school that teaches tomorrow's Wall Street bankers to engage in business with integrity – a school that can help sew up America's unraveling moral fiber.

Hyde School, a private high school in Bath, Maine has led the way in character-building education for 40 years, and has been featured on CBS's 60 Minutes, ABC's 20/20, and PBS. At this time – and there is no better time – its famous "Attitude over Aptitude" philosophy is now branching out into the public schools, from Washington, D.C. to the Bronx.

Malcolm Gauld, President of Hyde Schools, and award-winning co-author of the book The Biggest Job We'll Ever Have (Scribner), is recognized as one of the nation's leading experts on character education and parenting.

"Never kid a kid," Gauld says. "They will never misread our true expectations of them. They know we have created an educational system that values their aptitude more than their attitude, their ability more than their effort, and their talent more than their character. They are surrounded by signs that tell them that what they can do is more important than who they are."

Unfortunately, rewarding kids simply for what they can do has led to a lack of real self-esteem as well as a lack of character development. It is at the core of the current cheating epidemic in our schools. Unchecked, it can become a systemic concern for the nation.

"Our culture has become preoccupied with achievement," Gauld explains. "We measure success by jobs, grades, test scores, and the cars we drive. We have created an atmosphere that places image and results over the process of learning. Students – and their parents – shy away from academic challenges, out of fear it may affect a GPA."

In a character culture, achievement is valued, but principles are valued more. That is, what you stand for is more important than how you are stacking up against the others.

In addition to a traditional curriculum, Hyde School expects their students to:

*     Demonstrate a desire to be lifelong learners;    
    * Take risks by choosing courses that challenge them, rather than those that accommodate natural abilities;    
    * Act out of concern to support their peers with academic struggles;    
    * Take leadership roles in the classroom and in the community;    
    * Hold high expectations for themselves and their classmates.

Further, they must expect to make mistakes, and to learn from them.

"Character is inspired, not imparted," says Gauld. "We cannot pour it into our kids or our families. Self-esteem—real, authentic self-esteem—is essential, and once earned, it can never be taken away. Our children should graduate from schools with a healthy amount of it."

Recent Hyde School graduate Dana Wappler, 20, agrees.

"This school has helped instill a sense of responsibility in me," Wappler says. "If your character comes first, everything else flows from that." LEARN MORE about Hyde School.

Posted at 06:46 AM in Current Affairs | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
The Cheating Crisis in our School Administration
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 11:20:43 AM »
Here's an article/Op Ed piece which puts all of that material which started this thread in a somewhat different light.

This from an Australian website devoted to education issues, Save Our Schools Canberra ("Fighting for Equity in Education"). Apparently the Aussies follow educational trends in the U.S., the U.K., and Canada quite closely.

This piece, which came out about a year and a half prior to the press release by the Character Counts folk, summarizes rampant cheating, "coaching," and brazen fudging of test results across the United States... by teachers and administrators.

I guess I don't really peruse the educational news too regularly, or I would have picked up on this earlier. But the Gaulds and the Character Counts people sure do!! How come we didn't hear commentary about this tantalizing bit of news from them?

Is it 'cuz such cheating in charter schools was found to be several times the rate of more traditional public schools? Does this have something to do with the alleged (and hotly disputed) 98-100% college acceptance rate that Hyde School boasts about ad nauseum? Or are there some larger issues to obfuscate, like the controversial "Hyde-Hoffman Psychic Therapy" foisted upon the unsuspecting?

:D

Cheating to Improve School Results is Rampant
Monday July 16, 2007

By Trevor Cobbold

Publishing school results does not necessarily lead to real improvements in school performance, whatever the Howard Government and the Labor Opposition may argue. The desire to achieve a high ranking and enhance a school's reputation often leads to cheating and other ways of manipulating school results.

The last few months has seen several examples of rampant cheating on standardised tests in California and Texas by schools and teachers in response to accountability measures to improve school performance. These incidents come on top of many other cheating incidents in many states of the US in recent years.

The revelations show that ranking schools by test results and monetary rewards for schools that most improve their test results are an incentive for schools to cheat. It is an easy way to get a quick improvement in school results.

In early July, the San Francisco Chronicle reported that current and former teachers at the University Preparatory Charter High School in Oaklands claimed that a culture of cheating exists at the school. In a 27-page report, the teachers stated that students' grades are frequently falsified and that low-scoring students are barred from taking state-required exams as a way of avoiding lowering the school's test scores.

Students were also given easier tests than required by state regulations as a way of boosting results. Other schools in the region have reported that the grades of students transferring to the school rose dramatically and that the results of those who returned to their previous school had plummeted.

In the past four years, the charter school's state-wide test scores have been invalidated three times. In 2004, they were nullified because too few students took the required tests. In 2006 and 2007, the state Department of Education discovered cheating. In 2006, the Department found hundreds of ninth-grade English and maths test answers had been changed.

In early June, the Dallas Morning News reported an in-depth analysis that found that tens of thousands of students cheat on the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) every year. The analysis found cases where 30, 50 or even 90 percent of students had suspicious answer patterns that researchers said indicate collusion, either between students or with school staff.

The News analysis of TAKS data from 2005 and 2006, which was done with help from Professor George Wesolowsky, from McMaster University in Canada, found that by far the most extreme cases of cheating were in the state's lightly regulated and privately run charter schools. The study found that 37 of the 50 worst cases of cheating occurred in charter schools. Yet, charter schools make up only 2 percent of the state's schools.

The extent of cheating in one charter school was on a scale that astounded researchers of educational fraud. A Canadian cheating expert, Professor David Harpp from McGill University, who examined the school's scores said that cheating in the school was "total corruption".

The News study found that cheating in charter schools was almost four times the rate of traditional public schools. Cheating was also more common at under-achieving schools, where the pressure to boost scores is the highest.

Some of the Texas schools involved in cheating had been given awards and cash bonuses for improving performance.

These cheating incidents come on top of many other instances over many years across many US states following the introduction of reporting school results on standardized tests. For example:

• teachers at a Chicago elementary school erased wrong answers on students' test booklets and filled in the correct answers, and filled in answers to questions that students had not attempted;
  • 21 teachers and principals in New York state were recently discovered to have reviewed state tests in advance with students, tailored instruction to match specific questions for an upcoming test, improperly scored state tests, distributed answers for test questions, and directed students to change their responses to items during a test administration;
  • 400 Texas schools showed improbable test score gains on the TAKS between 2003 and 2004;
  • a report from the state of Nevada indicated that reported incidents of student and teacher cheating on that state’s test had increased by over 50 percent from the 2002-2003 to the 2003-04 school year;
  • an investigation of student responses on the Michigan Educational Assessment Program tests suggested that students' written answers to questions on social science, science, and writing tests at 71 Michigan elementary and secondary schools were so similar that they may have been attributable to inappropriate actions on the part of educators; and
  • a 2002 study of results for Chicago Public Schools on the reading and mathematics sections of the Iowa Test of Basic Skills for all students in 3rd through 7th grades from 1993-2000 found over 1,000 separate instances of classroom cheating, representing 4-5 per cent of all classrooms.

Standardised tests [in] many US states have high stakes attached to them. School results are published and therefore determine a school's reputation and ability to attract students. School ratings are a mark of public pride or shame. Some teachers' salaries are now tied to their students' performance on test day. Decisions like whether a teen graduates or a third-grader gets promoted now hinge on test scores.

Researchers concur that the higher the stakes, the more likely are schools and teachers to cheat. Education departments across the US are spending millions of dollars in trying to monitor and deter cheating that has become epidemic in some places.

Even with the wide availability of security measures, some researchers are pessimistic that cheating can ever be completely eliminated as long as someone has something to gain from a high score. They say that schools and teachers, rightly or wrongly, feel that they are being judged on the basis of these instruments and some of them cave in and do things they shouldn't.

The founder of one of the most widely used standardised tests in the United States says that there is only one way to effectively stop widespread cheating and that is to reduce the high stakes attached to tests.

It is a recommendation that the Howard Government and the Labor Opposition would do well to heed. It means not publishing school results.

# # #

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 02:09:31 PM »
I saw athletes at Hyde Bath on some of the seriously competitive varsity teams walk with diplomas but w/o the ability to read or write above probably a third grade equivalency ( at least in the case I have in mind) .  Saw those same kids get accepted to top self schools on atheltic tickets.  Those kids washed freshman year because basket weaving at Brown or Cornell was way more challenging then the academic standards that Hyde held those kids to.  Who cheated?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 04:22:06 PM »
Quote from: "That would be telling"
I saw athletes at Hyde Bath on some of the seriously competitive varsity teams walk with diplomas but w/o the ability to read or write above probably a third grade equivalency ( at least in the case I have in mind) .  Saw those same kids get accepted to top self schools on atheltic tickets.  Those kids washed freshman year because basket weaving at Brown or Cornell was way more challenging then the academic standards that Hyde held those kids to.  Who cheated?

...And, who got cheated? Since 50% of one's grade at Hyde is composed of an "attitude score," one could technically pass, even when one's academics were of failing caliber. Here are two hypothetical extremes:

• Poor student, but Hyde likes you: 100% for attitude, 22% for academics; final score = 61%. You pass!
  • Excellent student, but Hyde does NOT like you: 0% for attitude, 100% for academics; final score = 50%. You fail!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »
i cheated on a lot of my work at hyde and then i graduated AHAHAHAHA!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 07:46:03 AM »

* Demonstrate a desire to be lifelong learners;
* Take risks by choosing courses that challenge them, rather than those that accommodate natural abilities;

"Character is inspired, not imparted," says Gauld. "We cannot pour it into our kids or our families. Self-esteem—real, authentic self-esteem—is essential, and once earned, it can never be taken away. Our children should graduate from schools with a healthy amount of it."

10/10 on the BULLSHIT scale

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 10:17:19 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"

* Demonstrate a desire to be lifelong learners;

10/10 on the BULLSHIT scale

Inspired not imparted?  So the character the Elle Wizell gained by surviving the death camp was "inspired" by the Nazi SS?
Nice one Joe.