Author Topic: Revised HLA Web Site  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Revised HLA Web Site
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:18:40 AM »
http://www.hiddenlakeacademy.com/about/ ... ow-us-well

Wow. I couldn't imagine allowing HLA to put my name on their web site. What an absolute disgrace.

Lenny - You're slipping. A lot of errors on your new web site. Let's see how long it takes for you to get them corrected after reading this...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Revised HLA Web Site
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:24:08 AM »
http://www.hiddenlakeacademy.com/about/advisory-council

WHAT in Hell's name are these parents thinking????

Advisory Council

In an effort to further encourage the developmental growth and confidence in Hidden Lake Academy we have created an Advisory Council. It is our hope that by viewing a list of people by their home state, who vouch for the integrity of the school, will give prospective parents the encouragement to call and discuss the possible enrollment opportunities for their child.

Alabama
Jim and Jane Barganier
Mike and Kent Jenkins
Ronald & Daphne Reed
Walter & Beth Wright
Florence & Bob Young

Arizona
Herman and Jodi Essert

Connecticut
Peter and Emily Buch

Florida
John and Diana Cloud
James L. Ferraro, Esq.
Charles and MaryAnn Makekau
Robert & Dorey Scott

Georgia
Elinor Breman
Lynn and Mike Cottrell
Ronald Gann
Craig and Nancy Mento
Thornton Morris
Janet Page, Ph.D.
Marvin and Janice Shoob

Illinois
James R. and Nancy Malik

Kentucky
John and Kathy Knotts

Louisiana
Nathan & Erica Hoffman
Peter and Bonnie Waters

Ohio
Jeff and Heather Fisher
North Carolina
David Ball
Steve and Linda Block
Lane & Robin Byrd

South Carolina
Bob and Pat DeGregorio

Texas
Daniel and Garianne Fuentes
Bernard and Mary Ellen Malone

Virginia
Diane Hickert-Hill
Robert and Margaret Rashti

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »
For posterity with the contact info included:
California

Diane Albrecht, M.S.
San Francisco, CA
Phone: 415 928 1562
Fax: 415 928 4867
email: www.thebodingroup.com
email: [email protected]

Colorado

Steven R. Antonoff, Ph.D.
Denver, CO
Phone: 303 745 5577
Fax: 303 745 4488

Aspen, CO
Phone: 970 618 3586

Shirley Burr Darling, M.A.
Denver, CO
Phone: 303 757 3010
Fax: 303 757 3018

Michele Gorman
West Hartford, CT

District of Columbia

Ethna Hopper, M.A.
Peter A. Sturtevant, Jr. M.A.
Jenney Wilder. M.S. Ed.
Washington, DC
Phone: 202-333-3530
email: www.davidaltshuler.com

Elizabeth J. Gordon, M.A.
Orlando, FL
Phone: 407 363 6996

Dr. Fred E. W. Peipman, Ph.d.
Delray Beach, FL
Phone: 561 276 9279

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Phone 561 626 2662
Fax: 561 626 2756

Wellington, FL
Phone: 561 333 8882
Fax: 561 333 8840

Coral Springs, FL
Phone: 954 510 0600
Fax: 956 510 0602
Phone outside FL: 877 GET-2400

Georgia

Tamara Ancona
Alpharetta, GA
Phone: 678 297 0708
Fax: 770 232 0460

Jean Hague, M.A.
Atlanta, GA 30361
Phone: 404 872 9128
Fax: 404 870 9093
email: www.strugglingteens.com

Imy F. Wax, M.S.
Deerfield, IL
Phone: 847 945 0913
Fax: 847 945 6475

Maryland

Georgia K. Irvin
Chevy Chase, MD
Phone: 301 951 0131
Fax: 301 951 1024

Massachusetts

Marilyn Engelman, Ph.D.
Westborough, MA
Phone: 508 870 1515
Fax: 508 870 1505
email: www.louisekreiner.com

Mary Margarita Donnelly
Email: www.therightschool.com
email: www.ed-psy.com

North Bergen, NJ
Phone: 201 854 8282

New York

Nancy Edwards
Auburn, NY
Phone: 315 277 6063
Fax: 315 253 3073
Email: www.davidsoncenter.com
email: www.myeducationalhorizons.com

Pennsylvania

Suzanne F. Scott, Ed.M.
Lafayette Hill, PA
Phone: 215 402 8670
Cell: 215 498 7322
email: www.educdir.com
email: www.mbconsoli.com

Londa May, M.Ed.
The Woodlands, TX
Phone: 281 364 9700
Fax: 281 292 0449

Deborah Spagnoletti, M.A., CEP
Houston, Texas
Phone: 713 962-8506

Vermont

Kris Karge
Burlington, VT
Phone: 802 863 2495 Ext. 8

Mexico City
One to One Educational Consulting
CAFETOS 163, BOSQUES LOMAS
MEXICO,D.F. 11700
Tel. 5255 55 96 18

Robert M. Kantar
Lyndonville. VT
Phone: 802 626 4620
Cell: 603 496 4240

Virginia

Dr. Martha Kolbe
Richmond, VA
Phone: 804 285 7087

West Virginia

Nancy Edwards
Princeton, WV
WV Phone: 304 898 8313
Fax: 304 898 8312

Auburn NY
Phone: 315 277 6063
Fax: 315 253 3073
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:31:47 PM »
Go ahead, put your personal information on the website of a child abuse organization. What could possibly go wrong?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 11:21:40 PM »
If the consultants refer to HLA, they have no integrity, no ethics, it is the almighty dollar that guides them, period.  The allegations in the lawsuit, were
all true and would have been backed up, if the suit went to trial...and then some, including allegations of "payoffs" for silence, by its narcissistic owner - period.  The so-called consultants are no better than the garbage that owns the place.  The parents that put their names on the "advisory board" are imbiciles.
Maybe they should call the GAO in Washington and ask for the report the agents sent to Congress and the Senate, I don't think one would regard the agents as a "couple of disgruntled parents".

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 12:44:26 PM »
I wonder what the legal ramifications are for these folks who help to recruit troubled parents into HLA?  Seems to me that if these people are giving "advice" (what an "advisory board" does) to send kids to HLA, will they not be jointly and severally liable for any abuse heaped upon the child?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
I wonder what the legal ramifications are for these folks who help to recruit troubled parents into HLA?  Seems to me that if these people are giving "advice" (what an "advisory board" does) to send kids to HLA, will they not be jointly and severally liable for any abuse heaped upon the child?
actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea

Do the parents fully know a referral could likely result in abuse, or do they do so in ignorance, believing the lies of the program?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Yanking Google's Search Algorithms?
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 01:45:58 PM »
Here is just such a piece of parental referral, posted on Struggling Teens in the "Extended Insights " section only three days ago. (How many times can one say "Hidden Lake Academy" or "HLA" per piece, without being too excessive?)

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Posted: Dec 26, 2008
A PARENT SHARES EXPERIENCE IN A SUCCESSFUL PLACEMENT

Every mother's nightmare is getting that call in the middle of the night that something has gone terribly wrong! I was literally brought to my knees at that moment.

Just a little over a year ago, I got that call. Fortunately for me and all those involved, no one was killed; however this had been the third of several other events that had put my ability to cope with my son **** at risk. I was faced with the reality that I was not making it as the "good single parent." As a matter of fact, I was failing miserably. At that time I was in the middle of divorcing ****'s father to whom I had been married to for 23 years.

In an effort to be the good parent and not put more stress on him that I already had been doing, my way to parent was to befriend him, not to parent him. In doing so, he began a year-long spiral of being out of control with alcohol and drugs. I am sure, knowing and understanding **** the way I do, that he used the alcohol and drugs as a means of coping with a situation where all he wanted was to be numb, not feel or not express the pain he was feeling inside. I was desperate to help him but could not find any way into his psyche; he would just shut down when I tried over and over to get him to talk to me.

After many long hours of discussion with ****'s father we came to the decision to pull him out of High School and put him in a boarding school close to his dad so he could visit on weekends. We told him "look, make this work, as you will NOT like what will come next." Of course, being the diplomat that he is, **** said "of course I will."

Eight days later the next call came, saying "Your son has been expelled from school for bringing alcohol onto campus." Only two weeks had gone by since the accident, my head was spinning out of control as once again I, the parent. had failed my son. Wasn't it my responsibility to make sure he grows up to be a functioning adult, productive in his life, full of life?? Wasn't it? I knew however that I must pull myself out of my own inability to function and start to communicate with my inner world and find a way out of this emotional spiral. It was then, and only then, that I realized what ****'s life was missing. The ability to go inside oneself and communicate with the self--soothe it in need--look at all the options, understand the matrix of the internal world. But without this ability to do so I too saw my world begin to spin out of control, drinking too much, and hiding from my own pain.

I researched and sought after many of the wilderness programs for **** to begin to help him see the world from a different perspective. Being raised in a privileged family does not help a child's perspective. They always get what they want when they want it. Instant gratification, if you will. We landed on one of the most serious of wilderness boot camps in the country and two days later put him in and left him. My god, I thought to myself. I was not going to fail him this time. Whatever I had to do, whatever perspective I had to bridge across I would, as I now knew I was fighting a battle that I saw outside my family as well, the battle of a world gone array with so many kids like **** from good families spiraling out of control.

****'s time at SUWS was roughly two months; I had that much time to research the country for the best treatment for him. I knew enough that this two-month process would not handle the problem. He needed the kind of therapy that would help him learn to communicate with himself, depend on himself and discover just who was ****? Who were his parents, how did he want to be with them? And how did he want to be with the world around him? It was clear to me that at this juncture **** had no vision for his future other than the next party.

In my search for therapy boarding schools, I wept for many hours and days-I knew my son was out in the cold and the rain with only a tarp as his home. Backpacking 60 to 70 lbs packs everyday and eating only the minimalist of foods. Again I thought, my god, how will I ever manage to navigate through this to help him succeed? No parent ever wants to see their child living his life this way, knowing the point to these wilderness boot camps is to break them. As I had suspected, ****'s wilderness experience was just the start of his 2-year journey of his own self-realization. I guess you could say it put a crack in the armour but only a crack.

After many long hours of piling through tons of research of which school would be best for him we came up with only two that we thought truly would be a fit for our son's needs.

I have been in the psychological field since the early nineties and knew enough about the human psyche to know that **** needed the kind of therapy that would help him communicate with that part of him he so avoided, his inner world. I knew for him that inner world was a place to run from, hide and not share. The best he could ever say to his parents when asked how things were or share with us how he was feeling was: nothin' or I'm ok, or whatever. Never would he really tell us what was going on inside, never. I personally think for **** he did not want to know how he was feeling, way too scary of a place to be for him.

The moment I got Hidden Lake Academy's information and start to read what the school's mission was and how they went about helping these kids, I got a sense that this school was very different from all the rest. Very different! As I read further and become familiar with the 5 elements of the process of their program, I grew more and more intrigued. I thought how amazing and brilliant to use the aspects of the 5 elements to get the kids to understand how they got to this point, their relationship with their parents and friends, and most importantly, the realizations about themselves and their behaviors. I knew in my heart of hearts after reading and rereading all of the literature from all of the schools we had narrowed down to, that HLA was the right fit for ****. Not only was I so sure, I knew it was the ONLY therapy based school which had figured out how to utilize an 18-month process to walk these kids through their internal worlds maybe begrudgingly at first with their heels dug in. But as the process unfolded and these kids saw that they could in fact communicate with their internal world, maybe for the first time, and express their inner most feelings for the first time, they would in fact begin to heal--begin to see the road map to becoming a whole person.

**** has completed one year of his time at HLA and I am once again brought to my knees. This time however it is with great reverence and gratitude for all of those who make HLA, HLA. Yes the school has had its ups and downs and we rode the wave just as so many of you did as to whether this school would be around for the fall/winter semester. And I am not afraid to tell you I prayed daily for it to survive. Why? Because I so believed in the "process" that the school stands for. I knew if allowed him the opportunity to finish the entire 18-month journey that **** would come out the other side a much more whole person.

Let me paint a picture for you and my hunch is this picture is not so far off your picture of your son or daughter at HLA. When we put **** there a week before Thanksgiving, his world was crashing down on him. He knew that he was not going to graduate with his fellow friends that he had come to know over the years, those friends who were equally out of control. He was distraught and quite frankly probably hated us for doing this to him. Of course he at that time could not see the why's of what got him there or take any responsibility for himself. Everything existed outside of him. He held no thoughts or feelings as to how he ended up in such a place at this point in his life. As we walked the campus with him and looked at all he could get involved with he just would shrug his shoulders with ambivalence and say "yeah, whatever."

One year later this shrugged over shoulder young man who saw absolutely no future for himself at the time is thriving. Not only is he thriving but the light that existed in all of us is now back on for ****. The black cloud that used to hang over our son was replaced with the kind of self-assurance that will take this young man as far as his heart's desire!

His grades are A's and B's, he is a dorm prefect, on student council, got accepted into Phoenix Society, played for the golf team and is a forward for the soccer team. One year ago from now this young man saw no future for himself. Today he is applying to five different colleges and actually see's his future.

I am here to tell you, your son or daughter, whether you know it or not, is learning how to dialogue with himself, how to be his own counsel, not that of his friends. They are learning the world is what they choose to make it; they have control and mastery over what is going on for them.

To say I am humbled and grateful to the staff of HLA is just purely an understatement. No, they are not perfect Nothing in this world is. But they have our children's interest and hearts in their hands and all I can do is applaud them for helping my son and your kids learn to navigate in a world that is not easy.

My only request of the school is I wish there was some way to package up this brilliant process and send it out to every school, every teen center across our planet. Because every young adult could use the power in understanding their internal world because if the children of tomorrow had this understood at an early age the world would be a much better place for it.

I now understand we did the right thing this time for our son; we chose not to befriend him but parent him. Guide him.

When Chris asked me if I would consider writing an article for the schools newspaper I had no idea the amount of emotion that would come forth in writing it. But I am here to tell you as I finish this last piece of writing the tears are streaming down my face. I now have my son back!

Thank you to all of those who have dedicated their lives to furthering the future of our children.

I am humbled and in awe of all of you.

****'s Mom, *********

A mother's update:

***** entered HLA in November of 2006. The above letter was written in November of 2007. He graduated from HLA in May of 2008 with the highest GPA in his graduating class and had received every award and honor that HLA offers, including being voted by the staff as "STARS," which stands for a student who is showing excellent progress Socially, Therapeutically, Academically, Recreationally, and Spiritually. This award only comes by being nominated by a staff member and must come with a unanimous vote of all staff.

I know **** is an amazing success story; he also could have easily been another fatality in a long list of kids on drugs and alcohol. In the end, it was his choice to make a change in his life and with the guidance of Hidden Lake Academy, he grew to understand it was his choice.

**** is now in his first year at a University. His GPA to date is a 3.4. His major is International Business and his father and I have no doubts he will become all that he believes he can. My gratitude to Hidden Lake Academy is endless.

Editor's Note: The name of the child and parent in the foregoing is on file at Woodbury Reports, Inc. To protect their privacy, their names do not appear in the letter as reprinted above.

Copyright © 2007, Woodbury Reports, Inc.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 09:48:48 PM »
This parent is a moron and belongs on top of the garbage heap.  To enroll ones child with a class action suit pending, along with the GAO investigation, is grossly negligent.   If her child graduated with honors from HLA, for God's sake, a parrot could do that.  The curriculum is a disgrace, the watch dogs from Georgia's Department of Education were reprotedly hand picked by the imbicile that owns the place....  How did your child do in Biology and Chemistry???  Did you check out the "mobile lab" that HLA claimed to have purchased?  Masters degree or higher?  Forget that old claim, just pray they aren't hiring pedophiles, or is it Bucci only allows the enrollee pedophiles...  oops, that is right, have the attending Psyche change their diagnosis so HLA can further line their pockets.  Garbage?  That is an understatement....  Not to worry though, Bucci reportedly does not go after young boys, only young counselors, who reportedly disappear from HLA with more in their pocket than they arrived with..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 10:39:21 PM »
I cannot imagine that ALL these people could possibly be that naive, ignorant, evil or all three to refer to HLA...  How blind could all of you be?  You are entrusting your/another's child to the owner of a school, a man that has no scruples, no morals, no human decency, a narcissist, a cold,preying, calculating liar.  What shall it take?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 11:23:24 PM »
I imagine there are times when a parent might want to have their kid's diagnosis changed for various reasons. Perhaps there are some issues or events that might look a lot nicer in a cloak of another color. What better place to send them than an institution so willing to "work their magic" with such plasticity? The unspoken price could be...an endorsement, perhaps.

These thoughts are strictly a matter of conjecture, of course...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 05:17:57 PM »
i know some of those parents, and most of them have issues bigger than their kid's. alot sent their kids away becouse they are simply incapable of being a parent....the types that would rather be out doing their thing without having the extra baggage (their kids) in tow. lots of this behavior during their kid's childhood leads to messed up kids....which they are even more incapable of dealing with. That list reads like the top 10 list of HLA's most incompetent parents.

and for those ed-CONS, what a great way to loose business!

"graduated with highest GPA......"

here's a summary of my high school experience in HLA

I got an A in geometry (10th grade). The A was for not being a pain in the ass, a.k.a doing the single assigned worksheet from the middle-school textbook then going to sleep on the floor with my binder as a pillow.

I was failing algebra with a 30 average 2 weeks before graduation. i did a few worksheets and voila! the incomprehensible Philippino teacher gives me a B in the class.  

Spanish was all about not being a jackass, just like geometry. We did a worksheet, but he didnt let us sleep the rest of the time. instead, he brought a radio and we got to listen to nirvana and john mellencamp and fight over who picks the radio station when he forgot his cd's. We were also constantly entertained by vietnam war stories. Later on some mormon took over spanish and he was a total pushover.

in chemistry we did molar conversions the entire year. no lab...nothing of actual use. i'm embarrassed to say i learned nothing about chemistry at HLA. got an A.

History was the only intresting class. We watched bowling for columbine a few times...schindlers list a few times....then we wrote to our senators asking about why we still need pennies. there was an ocasional test on the basics like "who is thomas hobbes, and what did he say". got an A.

English involved reading a short story or two every day then listening to some haikus. the teacher was pathetic. again, no challenge. got an A.

american history with Hawley stevens was the only actually challenging class in all of HLA's existence. He is a college professor, and it shows. i learned alot in that class.

you have to be an absolute moron not to pass the classes at HLA. i did nothing but read my own books while there. might as well send your kid to public school in Alabama or Mississippi. but, then again, if your from there, HLA is probably a big step up.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 12:00:05 AM »
How many Psychologists has Bucci gone through in the last few years...?  If the attending Psyche didn't cooperate, according to them. they were 'phased' out..
Then there was the moral dilemma of cooperating and the risk of losing their license...It would have been fine testimony...

Offline Lacey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 02:32:56 PM »
Haha, Imagine that, my EdCONs name emblazoned right there on the site. I wonder why she even bothered recommending the other two treatment places before HLA. Should have just cut to the good part.