Author Topic: Drug Deaths are Skyrocketing in Porter County IN  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
Drug Deaths are Skyrocketing in Porter County IN
« on: November 30, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
Drug deaths skyrocketing in Porter County

BY KEN KOSKY
[email protected]
219.548.4354 | Sunday, November 30, 2008 | 3 comment(s)

Twenty-eight people have died of accidental drug overdoses so far this year in Porter County, putting the county on pace to have twice as many deaths as the previous year and triple the number in an average year.

Heroin, cocaine and prescription drugs continue to be the top killers, according to Porter County coroner's office statistics.

Coroner Vicki Deppe said it appears there is more drug use in the county, and that is leading to more deaths.

Porter County Drug Task Force coordinator Robert Taylor agreed, saying his undercover officers are seeing a big increase in the flow of drugs into the county.

Taylor said the county's decision to double the size of the undercover unit from four to eight people -- something that is nearing completion -- couldn't have come at a better time.

"I think we have some catch up to do," Taylor said. "We have to get organized with this extra manpower and go after it twice as hard...From what I'm hearing on national reports, it doesn't seem to be slowing down anywhere. It's not just isolated in Porter County."

Taylor said the drug task force will be not only be putting more officers on the streets, but will also be using new methods to stop drug dealing.

In addition to enforcement efforts, Taylor is a big proponent of stronger drug education in schools and treatment options like the Pathway Family Center in Chesterton. Deppe said a lot of the people who are dying in their 30s, 40s or 50s, so perhaps drug education needs to target more than just young people.

Drug deaths aren't the only things increasing in 2008 in Porter County. There have been five homicides, an increase from the average of three. Three of the homicides this year have been related to domestic disturbances and the other two have been babies who were harmed.

There have been six drownings, double the number from the previous year. Motor vehicle accident deaths have stayed about the same and suicides are down, something that is surprising because suicides often increase in bad economic times. Deppe said Northwest Indiana was slower to be affected by the failing economy, so perhaps an increase in suicides might, unfortunately, be around the corner.

Accidental drug deaths in Porter County

2008 -- 28*
2007 -- 16
2006 -- 18
2005 -- 12
2004 -- 7
2003 -- 10
2002 -- 13
2001 -- 5

*The 2008 figure is through Nov. 19 and does not include three deaths believed to be drug related, but that are pending the completion of toxicology testing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
Re: Drug Deaths are Skyrocketing in Porter County IN
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 12:19:45 PM »
errrr, forgot the link... sorry, here's the link to this story, as usual, feel free to leave a comment or two...

http://nwi.com/articles/2008/11/30/news ... 063b43.txt

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:26:34 AM »
An interesting tidbit of information is that "prescription drugs" are mentioned here as part of the cumulative number of drug related deaths. I would like to see the breakdown of how many people died of prescription drugs as a percent. I would also like to see the number of people who were prescribed those prescription drugs as opposed to who were not. Also, Big pharma has been pushing pharmaceuticals a lot harder recently and psychiatric medications as well as many others can have adverse reactions including death. With the over-prescribing of experimental brain drugs, I could see how drug related deaths are up in any given locale.

I would also like to see mention of deaths per-capita as the population may have soared recently.

And of course the local police are going to say they see more drugs entering the county (whatever that means) because they get more resources and money.

Good ole PFC got their plug, even though it states that a lot of the people that are dying are in their 30's 40's and 50's.
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:14:53 AM »
Give Ken a call and ask him about those numbers. Report back when you're done. I too noticed the 304050 blurb, lol. Oh well, it is possible that they could be former disgruntled PFC parents  :karma: