Author Topic: Statement Contest: About a.p.all  (Read 10412 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Statement Contest: About a.p.all
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »
BEAR! BEAR! BEAR! BEAR! BEAR!

Move to adopt BEAR's revision of Rg's original statement.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 06:12:09 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"

I'd have to agree.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 06:28:31 PM »
If I could request a tiny add?  "and religion based teen help programs"...
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2008, 06:36:21 PM »
That "easy to find location" bugged me, LOL. I assume the replacement word "an" is ok, although I might use the word "this", depending on the usage rules. I have to admit, It's tough to write stuff like this without it sounding emotionally charged and vindictive-like. I like the revision and it's fine to keep tweaking... That's the spirit of the Alliance...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2008, 08:09:51 PM »
Quote from: "Rusty Goat"
That "easy to find location" bugged me, LOL. I assume the replacement word "an" is ok, although I might use the word "this", depending on the usage rules. I have to admit, It's tough to write stuff like this without it sounding emotionally charged and vindictive-like. I like the revision and it's fine to keep tweaking... That's the spirit of the Alliance...

Rusty, sorry if I'm a bit dense at this, but are you saying that you did or did not like the "easy to find location" phrase? I took it out because I wasn't sure that we could make that assumption (or that anyone could about any site on the internet), but if people feel strongly about having it in...

Additional (re. religious) changes also in red... Not sure how I feel about 'other "corrective" enterprises'...input?

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

The AP Alliance consists of volunteers, parents, and members of several national, international, professional advocacy groups and organizations. This group includes a large number of survivors of behavior modification facilities, "emotional growth" boarding schools, religiously-oriented teen help programs, and other "corrective" enterprises.

They have combined efforts to share their expertise, experience and vast information resources in an interconnected and centralized location on the internet.

The AP Alliance strives to offer visitors to this site a bird's-eye view of the troubled teen industry including specific details, information and overwhelming evidence of a proven abusive and deadly track record in programs throughout the United States and abroad.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 09:21:03 AM »
When I wrote that, it took me a while to settle on the easy to find location bs cuz I just couldn't come up with anything else even though I knew there had to be a better way to describe that situation. You though, came up with it... so, to answer your question I say I did not like what I wrote and am glad that you edited it as such. thank you.

RG

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 09:38:11 AM »
Kewl.. let's get busy researching and making websites. To much time spent today wasting time on trivial crap involving bruised egos and so forth.

:soapbox:

Let's get busy!

Offline Miss Antsy Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
here's my doodad for the day... If'n you can use any of it, go right ahead... personally, I think the "about us" should be short and firm but sweet... we can have a separate page for "expert opinions" or something... oh, and a "youtube" page would be completely awesome. That venue has already demonstrated itself to be a great program bashing/hurting tactic.  RG

here goes:

Welcome to the AP Alliance website.

The AP Alliance consists of volunteers, parents, members of several national, international, professional advocacy groups and organizations. This group includes a large number of survivors of behavior modification facilities, boarding schools, and other “teen help” programs. They have combined efforts to share their expertise, experience and vast information resources in an easy to find location on the internet. The AP Alliance strives to offer visitors to this site a birds-eye view of the troubled teen industry including specific details, information and overwhelming evidence of a proven abusive and deadly track record in programs throughout the United States and abroad.

Throughout this site you will find out why this industry should be shut down and the people, agencies and businesses that contribute to, operate, and profit from it should be held fully accountable. This includes politicians, law enforcement, educational consultants, and doctors. The AP Alliance knows no boundaries with respect to states or countries.

Please take some time to research our site. Thank you for visiting.

The AP Alliance

I think i'm leaning towards this as my favorite as a mission statement.

I will echo what Psy said...this is my fav so far
United we stand....divided....we fail!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 08:06:29 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
How about... a loose collective of individuals and organizations like-minded enough to focus on getting the truth out about this industry as an educational service for the community...

Catching up here.... but I like the emotionalism of the mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers. Remember, we're dealing with emotionally charged people here who's first thought is often that we're a bunch of spoiled teenage brats who didn't get our snackey-pooh at boarding school. The first thing I like to tell parents is the ages of my own kids.

That can be chopped and mixed by someone else. I think the phrase "getting the truth out" is an important one. And I think performing an "educational service" is also important and fairly neutral (and noble).

I agree with you here. The rents are also already somewhat emotionally attached to the Program, even if they're still just in the shopping phase in the same way a lotto player is in love with his new Lamborghini. Opening with an overt threat to the beloved Utopian dream seems like a bad idea. And they already think that what they're doing by shopping the brochures is educating themselves. So we first establish that we're just like them then tell them that we're helping them do what they intended to do anyway. And it has the added benefit of being true.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 08:16:48 PM »
Damn, I guess that could have gone without saying. Cool beans.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 11:45:52 PM »
ok, so stop at the word "internet." then take out the abusive deadly stuff and replace with something like:

"The AP Alliance understands that making choices to place children outside the home can be emotionally and financially draining. It is our mission to provide you with state of the art and up to date information that you may find very useful."

If the AP in AP stands for Anti Program, then will we re-name this Alliance, you know, if we don't want to scare off the potential/current customers of the industry on page 1? The site also serves as a warning to owners/operators/agencies etc. that their dirty little secrets are not secret and that someone is watching them like a hawk. How many clicks till the parents see how Anti Program we are and how Anti Program will that be projected?

RG

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2008, 12:00:56 AM »
The AP doe stand for anti-program.  As for whether or not it's a good idea, to a certain extent I share some of your misgivings.  On the other hand, I feel it might be a little bit dishonest to imply we are anything but.

Here is what I suggest.  On the about pages of the individual websites we state "AP Alliance" which links to apall.org which explains the purpose in a little more detail, specifically what constitutes a "program" (in what is admittedly our "lingo") and why we oppose "programs".

...  or we can abandon the name.  It's not too late to register another domain.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2008, 12:47:33 AM »
Well, I like it when people pipe in on things. Ginger/Ursus made a great point and it's possible to keep the name too, it's just a matter of "first impression" and don't want to lose them right off. My doodad was just that... a doodad... open for chop chop switch switch whatever, lol. Don't tell the "Greaseman" though, ok? The name could be AP Alliance... not Anti=Program written out, and just use the letters. We know what it is, so that's good enough. If people ask, tell them. I'm so used to attacking the straight inc/pfc folks and their brutal mentalities that I lost sight of the fragile aspects of parents seeking information about programs. It is comforting to see people with more even keels... even this many years later.  :nods:

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2008, 12:54:32 AM »
We know what it is, so that's good enough. If people ask, tell them.

Aha.  I think you found the solution to our problems.  We simply neglect to define it.

Offline Miss Antsy Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2008, 08:25:09 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
Quote from: "Che Gookin"

I'd have to agree.

I send the motion....thank you Rusty & Ursus!!!  I love it!!

~pam :notworthy:
United we stand....divided....we fail!