Author Topic: Statement Contest: About a.p.all  (Read 10465 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Statement Contest: About a.p.all
« on: November 27, 2008, 12:48:01 AM »
For each program website webpage, there will be a page explaining who made the website and why (About Us).  I'd like to be able to explain what a.p.all is as a project clearly and concisely.  The statement should say basically two things: The purpose of the organization (educate the public about therapy cults masquerading as treatment centers for kids) and the one code of ethics we can all agree on: no referrals (and why).  While I could write it myself (and probably will write a draft), I believe in the principles of competition, and that there are many around here who are more capable and influential writers than I. What better way to create this important piece of content than to offer it up to the community to write and then vote on and/or edit collectively.

I look forward to reading your submissions in this thread.

:notworthy:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline kev (antiWWASP.com)

• View Profile
Re: Essay Contest: About a.p.all
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 05:50:37 AM »
So do i, cause i'm a horrible writer...  :on phone: lol love your guy's emoticons

:jerry:
[9:26:52 AM] Michael Crawford says: it\'s an orange splotch with sentimental value to ginger.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 07:50:16 AM »
:sue:

You like our Sue Scheff one?

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 02:24:17 AM »
Okay, I shot you a laundry list of things we are against...but I'm gonna need some input here as to what everyone wants included, collectively, before I can formulate anything comprehensive.  Need something to quantify.  Can you repost what I sent you, I really abhor the idea of digging through my hard drive yet again to dig that shit out...and it appears to have vanished from my frigging sent pm's....fucking computer...
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »
Quote from: "hurrikayne"
Okay, I shot you a laundry list of things we are against...but I'm gonna need some input here as to what everyone wants included, collectively, before I can formulate anything comprehensive.  Need something to quantify.  Can you repost what I sent you, I really abhor the idea of digging through my hard drive yet again to dig that shit out...and it appears to have vanished from my frigging sent pm's....fucking computer...

Sure thing.

We object to the violation of the civil liberties of children. We object to physical abuse of children. We object to the emotional abuse of children.We object to abuse of children in any form in the name of religion or therapy. We object to the profiteering of abusers in the name of religion or therapy. We object to the lack of accountability of known abusers of children. We vehemently protest. We will stand in the cold, the rain, the heat...whatever it takes to peacefully and legally protest against those who would harm children in the name of religion or therapy. We are survivors and we have found our voices, we speak for those who cannot speak for themselves, we speak for those whose voices have been silenced by fear of their abusers .

We Are Against...
Physical restraints
Electric-shock or body bag therapy
Behavior modification drugs administered by non-medical staff
Hypnosis,
Sensory deprivation
Brainwashing
Enforced prolonged silence,
Peer supervision
Any form of corporal punishment administered by schools or residential facilities
Behavior modification through ridicule and humiliation
Mental, Spiritual, Physical, and Sexual abuse
Teens being punished by other teens in a facility
Separation of the teen from their family and support system through monitored or restricted communication
Isolation or solitary confinement
Withholding food or water as form of punishment
Torture or stress positions
Withholding of medication and medical care
Forced adoption
Killing of animals as part of chores
Boxing rings used as punishment
Hard laborPhysical labor such as hiking without breaks or adequate hydration
Long hours in hot or cold weather or water
Restricted from calling the police or family
Tampering with US Mail
Forced religious practice's
Limited or unaccredited education
Threats that if the child leaves their family will die or they will
Making them so emotionally dependent on the group that they are terrified to return to the outside world.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 03:47:28 PM »
"you down with O.P.P., yeah you know me" -Naughty by Nature... lol

sounds good to me, i object to everything on that list, your honor..  :twofinger:
[9:26:52 AM] Michael Crawford says: it\'s an orange splotch with sentimental value to ginger.

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 04:09:57 PM »
forced or otherwise coerced abortion
EXIT plans
Forced relocation for treatment in foreign countries
Referrals
Transport companies
Secret placement by estranged parents

I just wanted to pipe in.. thank you for the invite Psy.

RG

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 04:16:51 PM »
Thanks Rusty.
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 04:24:56 PM »
Oh, Psy, we could probably tweak the "about us" I used for my website if I can dredge that up...may be a little harder than the finding the stuff from the other one....said something like we are mothers, sisters, co-workers, daughters, yadda yadda and we are watching the programs.  :)  Hmmmm....that might be in my Yahoo msg cache....heheheee.

Offline Miss Antsy Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 05:53:36 PM »
Here is another variation of our Mission Statement and Goals taken from member feedback...

Our goal…. to raise public and political awareness of the MUTI-BILLION dollar "troubled teen" industry in order to expose the truth about the abuse, fraud, and torture that takes place. Desperate parents are seeking out these facilities in order to help their struggling teens; only to find out later that their child endured unimaginable cruelty at the hands of people that were supposed to help our teens.

Our Mission…to end the physical, psychological and emotional abuse of minors and parents within the Troubled Teen / Behavior Modification / Emotional Growth Industry.

keep tweaking it until we love it!

~pam
United we stand....divided....we fail!

Offline Miss Antsy Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 06:05:40 PM »
Hurrikayne & Rusty
Amazing work…this is exactly what I was hoping for…finding our common ground…what we oppose and where we stand on just about everything…fabulous!!!
 :twofinger:
United we stand....divided....we fail!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
For each program website webpage, there will be a page explaining who made the website and why (About Us).  I'd like to be able to explain what a.p.all is as a project clearly and concisely.  The essay should say basically two things: The purpose of the organization (educate the public about therapy cults masquerading as treatment centers for kids) and the one code of ethics we can all agree on: no referrals (and why).  While I could write it myself (and probably will write a draft), I believe in the principles of competition, and that there are many around here who are more capable and influential writers than I. What better way to create this important piece of content than to offer it up to the community to write and then vote on and/or edit collectively.

Ummm... I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes with this query, but do we really need an ESSAY for this? I'm all for stating purpose clearly and succinctly, but the minute you start getting into a whole treatise about one's righteous purpose and all that, is the minute you're gonna lose 70% of the readership. They're there just for the information. "Just the facts, Ma'am, nothin' but the facts!"

A self-righteous treatise filled with honorable intentions and lists of no-no's will earn us kudos from like-minded college students who are into justice causes and demonstrating for the rights of the unwashed and down-trodden. These are probably not the people who will be sending their kids into programs anyway.

I think there'll be far more punch to the websites if they stick to their primary mission, namely, to educate. It may seem less glorious initially, but it'll pull more credibility in the long run, IMO...

Here's what we're up against in terms of what kind of punch the program websites can pull:

• Your kid has a problem.
  • Your kid's problem is worse than you think it is. We know, because we are professionals.
  • Your kid will, in fact, end up deadinsaneorinjail if you don't do something about it.
  • We have the answer to your problem. We're professionals at this, we've done it thousands of times before.
  • Studies show that our results are time-proven.
  • You will get back a new boy/girl/dog when our training is complete.

Disproving that, especially in the heart of an already panicked parent, will entail a lot more focus on the information at hand, and a lot less on tooting one's own horn. In fact, I think we want to really try to avoid even the impression of that.

Plus, the minute we put up an explicit LIST of what we are against... well, keep in mind that we're also potentially listing reasons that some parent is not going to read the rest of the site. There is plenty of time to get that specific later. For the purposes of educating about a program, however... hmmm. No. Can't say that sits well with me. Sorry, but I AM a grumpy bear...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:54:14 PM by Ursus »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Statement Contest: About a.p.all
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 06:54:07 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
For each program website webpage, there will be a page explaining who made the website and why (About Us).  I'd like to be able to explain what a.p.all is as a project clearly and concisely.  The statement should say basically two things: The purpose of the organization (educate the public about therapy cults masquerading as treatment centers for kids) and the one code of ethics we can all agree on: no referrals (and why).  While I could write it myself (and probably will write a draft), I believe in the principles of competition, and that there are many around here who are more capable and influential writers than I. What better way to create this important piece of content than to offer it up to the community to write and then vote on and/or edit collectively.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 06:55:02 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Ummm... I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes with this query, but do we really need an ESSAY for this?

Lol, no.  Statement is a better term and the OP has been edited to reflect that.

• View Profile
Re: Statement Contest: About a.p.all
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 09:26:57 PM »
Sorry, but I AM a grumpy bear...

doesn't matter to me, cause you're also extremely insightful.. ;)