Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Psych Hospitals

When the GAO Investigated Regulated Facilities

<< < (2/3) > >>

Che Gookin:
I suspect that was the age they started stuffing the genetically unsuitable types like retarded folks into institutions to spare society from their drooling ravages. I worked with a guy before I came to China who spent his entire adult and childhood in mental institutions, state hospitals, and other places due to his severe downs syndrome.

He was pretty badly abused in the last place he was in. His tendency to smear his feces on the walls and throw it at you was a bit of a sign. That or they neglected potty training, but I'm gonna go with the abuse.

iamartsy:
You should find the children part disturbing. We had a three from one family at our facility. It was horrifying. Apparently, one of them spent a great deal of time in restraints. The oldest one was in his senior year of high school and seemed pretty normal to me. I heard something to the effect that it was due to family problems rather than the kids. The two under 10 ones were not fairing well. The oldest seemed to have survived it fine, and appeared pretty resilient.

We had more then one teen on our unit of all adult women. One of them liked it because there were plenty of "mother figures". The others were only with us for a short time (6 months).

Che Gookin:
If the adult wards were bad I hate to even start thinking about the youth wards.

Ursus:

--- Quote from: "hurrikayne" ---I think I am most disturbed by this little fact: "Age at time of admission - range from 3 to 18."  I cannot begin to fathom putting my little man into any sort of psychiatric care.
--- End quote ---

You might not have that choice. Any behavior or statement that can be interpreted* as a potential threat to others or self is currently reason enough for your kid to get locked up, with or without your blessing. Be grateful that you might be informed of said event.

* Notice the incredible plasticity in "judgment" accorded here.

iamartsy:
Actually it is harder to get someone committed than you might think. Danger to whom? How dangerous? Then the real biggie: do you have insurance? No, then live with it and call us next time. The state facility would take you eventually when  they have a bed, and for the shortest time possible. The private facilities are a different story. These days, I think they have plenty of beds, but money and/or insurance is more the issue. In some ways many of us are safe due to economics. I think your little man is safe from what most of us in Texas saw.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version