Author Topic: A Call to Revise or Reject HR 6358  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: A Call to Revise or Reject HR 6358
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »
wow...24 signatures :deal:  :moon:

i'm soooooo terrified.  :moon:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Christians in an Uproar
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 01:30:02 PM »
Government Seeks Control of Christian Residential Ministries
Nov 17

Christian groups homes for troubled children and teens are under threat from this latest government initiative. Under the guise of preventing child abuse, the government wants to insert itself into private Christian residential facilities. Here’s the bill vote and here’s what one pastor has to say about it. Please help spread the word.

Government Endangers Freedom of Residential Teen Ministries & Orphanages

Dear Friends,

A proposed law would KILL effective, Biblical residential-ministries to teens and children. It is unconstitutional, but that does not stop Congress. The bill is HR 6358. It would dictate”ungodly” standards and impose “secular” demands upon Christian ministries.This bill has already passed the US House of Representatives in June.It has been assigned to a Senate committee.

It is URGENT that we try to stop the Senate Committee on Health,Education,Labor, and Pensions.

Please write a courteous letter to your Senator (especially if he is on the committee).

Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions

The following are members of the committee which will be considering the bill:

Chairman: Ted Kennedy;Ranking GOP Member: Michael Enzi of Wyoming;

Sen. Sherrod Brown (Ohio); Sen. Richard Burr (North Carolina); Sen. Orrin Hatch (Utah); Senator John Isakson (Georgia); Senator Thomas Harkin (Iowa).

HR 6358 was passed by the House of Representatives in June 2008. To see the vote on this bill, click on the following link:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2008-459

The real problem is that the government wants to control ALL private and church ministries. The government would define “minimum standards” that would forbid Biblical discipline and ministry to troubled teens and children. Almost any “discipline” would be considered “child abuse.”

Check the following summary of a section of the bill:

Stop Child Abuse in Residential Programs for Teens Act of 2008 - HR 6358
Section 3 - Directs the Assistant Secretary for Children and Families of the Department of Health and Human Services to require each location of a covered program to meet specified minimum standards if individually or together with other locations it has an effect on interstate commerce.

Defines “covered program” as one operated by a public or private entity that with respect to one or more children unrelated to the program owner or operator: (1) provides a residential environment; and (2) operates with a focus on serving children with emotional, behavioral, or mental health problems or disorders, or problems with alcohol or substance abuse.

Directs the Assistant Secretary to:

(1) implement an on-going review process for investigating and evaluating reports of child abuse and neglect;
(2) establish public websites with information about each covered program,as well as a national toll-free telephone hotline to receive complaints;
(3) establish civil penalties for violations of standards; and
(4) establish a process to ensure that complaints received by the hotline are promptly reviewed by persons with appropriate expertise.

Section 4 -

Requires the Assistant Secretary to refer any violation of such standards to the Attorney General for appropriate action if the Assistant Secretary determines that a violation has not been remedied through the enforcement process. Authorizes the Attorney General to file such a complaint on his or her own initiative regardless of whether such a referral has been made.

Our Rights as Individuals and as Christians Are Eroding Quickly . :rofl:

Dr. Ronald Williams

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:30:54 PM »
i just read the thing....oops. so it is on our side. i thought it was a programmie thing at first.

I think what is asked for in the revision would never pass. it's too radical in it's legal implications beyond it's effect on lockdowns/TBSs/wildernesses/etc. what is asked for requires the allocation of way more resources, which in this economic climate would be unacceptable to washington.

in order to do what this revision is asking for, there need to be legal precedents set in a federal court. that means lawsuits, and lots of them. eventually when the economy lightens up, when all the lawsuits start piling up, the press will be all over the issue. will be especially true if these institutions continue to grow in numbers and size. then you can start trying to pass all this radical stuff - but not all at once. get a little here, a little there, an amendment here, a pork barrel there....etc.

Offline Dr. Miller Newton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:36:39 PM »
Quote from: "hehehehehe"
i just read the thing....oops. so it is on our side. i thought it was a programmie thing at first.
Addle-brained druggie... why am I not surprised?  :ftard:
Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 04:51:18 PM »
Suck it, newton. you are the disease.

one day you will be waterboarded into submission and fed acid through a nasal tube.

or just go to prison where you will be raped and killed by Bubba McT-bone.

that day i will throw a party.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:24:02 PM »
Quote from: "hehehehehe"

I don't think there really are clearly defined sides in this one. I know some of the strongest advocates of this legislation to be sincerely dedicated to stopping Program abuse and to be intelligent, thoughtful folk who I respect and who have done untold good for our common cause. On the other hand, I know some of the folk who have already had a hand in this to be solid program advocates who sincerely believe the Program can be reformed if only we tag on enough laws.

My take on it is pretty much that to err is human but to really foul things up requires government funding. I think the problem is not a lack of adequate laws and regulations but one of perception. It's pretty clearly illustrated by one reader's reaction to Deprogrammed's "This Actually Happened" viewtopic.php?f=61&t=25685&p=312969&hilit=branch+Hill+Guinea+Pike.#p312969

Quote from: "Psy"
psy wrote:A. Hello, 911... I just saw a kid dragged off into a van kicking and screaming. I think he was kidnapped.
B. We can't do anythign unless we know what country the child lives in and you have the name of the child.
A. ???? WHAT!!!!!

If the cops didn't already know that it was a program, not just some ordinary sadistic crack pots kidnapping this kid they might have taken it seriously. But there is just an overwhelming prejudice against kids anyway, especially those who have been slandered with the moniker "troubled" or "druggie".

We need to overcome that somehow so that this scapegoated class can no longer be tortured and murdered with impunity. I do feel strongly that the public discourse that is the legislative and investigative process is extremely helpful to that end! Witness this exchange between forensic investigator, Greg Kutz and Sen. McKeon during the most resent GOA hearing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X5gjsuTD1E

I don't fully understand why it has taken roughly 3 decades or a generation and a half for any politicritter to give voice to the question, but here we go, a politicritter has given voice to the question on the public record. Let's make a little hay while we can and hope the down side is not so onerous as to make it not worth it.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »
I find it funny that a bunch of fundie crack pots are a up in arms about this piss weak piece of legislation running them all out of business.

:twofinger:

Seriously dudes...  The legislation is so worthless you have nothing to worry about.