Author Topic: Ransom for a girl detained at Heartland  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Ransom for a girl detained at Heartland
« on: September 22, 2008, 04:42:31 AM »
From a Myspace page:

Allow me to tell you a story... one which we hope will have a happy ending. Kayla Eskew (known to her friends as Miyu because she loves kittens) is living at Heartland Christian Academy. At first glance, this place looks like any other Christian boarding school but after closer examination, horrific things were discovered which lead us to ask you for help. Some of those things include corporal punishment, practically starving the girls as a form of punishment, making them work for less than minimum wage and without the goal of a high school diploma in sight since they are not an accredited school with qualified teachers! There are also many more stories we would gladly share if asked.

The bottom line is Miyu is stuck there. Her father had her best interests in mind and signed over custody to Heartland. After discovering the true nature of the place, he has regretted his decision but unfortunately the contract he signed states he will pay dearly ($14,400) to remove her before “graduation”. Already, more than half of the money has been raised toward this goal, some of it by Miyu herself, who desperately wants to come home. All that’s needed now is $6900 by August 1st to bring her home. Dig deep please. Think of this kid’s future and her psyche. Think of the strength she has had to maintain during the time she has been there. Think of this good Christian girl who wouldn’t hurt a fly and that asks even if you can’t donate, that you please pray for her. Pray for strength for her, pray for her to come home.
To help her, we have set up a paypal and a myspace account.

Questions? Send us an email <email hidden>

Graduation is not about learning. It is about money only at Heartlands.

Heartland on Fornits Wiki
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Ransom for a girl detained at Heartland
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 09:16:09 AM »
Sounds like a nigerian scam email, personally.  Legally, the father should be able to just call the cops if they don't release her immediately (it's been done before).  Contract or no contract, it's false imprisonment.  My suggestion, if this is legit, is for the parents to contact the authorities and/or an attorney.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 10:44:44 AM »
Uhhh... good lawd, judging by the pic of ol' Pastor Sharpe, he's been cultivating a lot more than "good Christian values" in the bosoms of his teen-aged flock... Not wishing to suggest anything too disparaging about May-December relationships, but...uhh, there's got to be at least a half-century between old Charlie and Miss Laurie. Jeez...I just can't help but be reminded of that "Marriage Boot Camp" profiled about a year ago in the TTI forum...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »
Fornits went down earlier. If the message board had worked, it would have received the following message. Instead Covergaard got a myspace message, which he forwarded to me:

Hi Carsten,
I attempted to reply to your post there, but recieved an error when doing so. Would you be so kind as to reply for me? Please and thanks. This is what I wrote:

Ursus, you are so right. May-December relationships may have validity for some people but I have to question Mr. Sharp's intentions with his young wife... additionally to hear Kayla talk about Mr. Sharpe is interesting... she says he is a good man gone astray who is unaware of how the children are treated and his wife mostly manages things. I believe she is being naive in her assessment of her character. After all, she is the type of kid who likes to believe the best in people. I don't see how Sharpe can not know what is going on behind the scenes. He is ever-present on campus and very much a managing partner like his wife.

It IS all about the money with them. Psy, unfortunately I am not her parent and her parents are indeed blind in a sense. Her dad is afraid to rock the boat, her stepmother just wants her gone and her mother is abusive and out of the picture. You getting the idea here? Poor kid, stranded, essentially on her own in another state? Also, Kayla turns 18 next March and "graduates" next June. Heartland, as you likely know, has a way of enticing the kids to want to stay... they work during their time there - at the grocery store, the dairy, the laundry, etc... this campus is truly it's own little town, very much self contained. So, the kids work, but they don't get paid. The money from their jobs go into an "account" which they get upon graduation. Kayla expects to get this money in June. I am not fully convinced, but we shall see. Either way, if they haven't broken her spirit, she's leaving and I believe I will be unofficially adopting an 18 year old kid.

Btw, I have met and gotten to know her dad. He IS a nice guy. He DOES indeed love his daughter. However, I believe he is governed by what his wife wants and while I have never met her, I can only guess to her intentions.
Well, Kayla is in our prayers constantly. Please keep her in yours as well. Thanks for the invitation to your blog.
~Mary
(mom to best friend of Kayla & pseudo-mom to Kayla)

So done!

(I am filling in for Covergaard, because he is undergoing serious surgery tomorrow. Cross your fingers)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:11:28 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Sounds like a nigerian scam email, personally.  Legally, the father should be able to just call the cops if they don't release her immediately (it's been done before).  Contract or no contract, it's false imprisonment.  My suggestion, if this is legit, is for the parents to contact the authorities and/or an attorney.

So did this turn out to be legot. I first read about htis on CAFETY and thought it was horrible, but not to horrible to be beleived. Apparently, they made him sign over custody. Once you do that, you cannot just remove your kid.

What has happened with this?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:10:41 AM »
I am afraid that they have silenced her. You have to remember that they are more powerful than the authorities down there. When did you ever hear about a program which used corporal punishment to a large extent and got away with it after the authorities did remove the children and found large bruises on them.

Well Heartland did if you follow the links on our Wiki-page and Rickross.

Over at Cafety we got a lengthy thread, but it doesn't matter if you are talking a almost foreign court-system as manipulated as the court system in Zimbawe. The pastor has as must power in this state as Robert Mugabe.

I am afraid that this girl is lost. Covergaard wrote a letter to a women who stood by this girl and where he got a lot of info, but while she has read his letter, she hasn't replied. I am afraid that they have put the heavy lawyers on her and that she has been put under a restraining order to even write with people about this terrible situation.

As far as I am concerned we cannot do anything before law and order is brought to this state.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 08:10:56 AM »
I am afraid that they have silenced her. You have to remember that they are more powerful than the authorities down there. When did you ever hear about a program which used corporal punishment to a large extent and got away with it after the authorities did remove the children and found large bruises on them.

Well Heartland did if you follow the links on our Wiki-page and Rickross.

Over at Cafety we got a lengthy thread, but it doesn't matter if you are talking a almost foreign court-system as manipulated as the court system in Zimbawe. The pastor has as must power in this state as Robert Mugabe.

I am afraid that this girl is lost. Covergaard wrote a letter to a women who stood by this girl and where he got a lot of info, but while she has read his letter, she hasn't replied. I am afraid that they have put the heavy lawyers on her and that she has been put under a restraining order to even write with people about this terrible situation.

As far as I am concerned we cannot do anything before law and order is brought to this state.