Author Topic: Press Release - Benchmark Young Adult School Loses Lawsuit  (Read 22549 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Press Release - Benchmark Young Adult School Loses Lawsuit
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:34:37 PM »
I have prepared a press release following my court victory.  Please feel free to comment, ask questions and express your opinions on the matter in this thread.

Link to press release here

For those who do not have acrobat reader, a web-based version is available here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Press Release - Benchmark Young Adult School Loses Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 10:46:03 PM »
Looks pretty good to me as it focus on the main points. I'd have put a picture of Jayne Longnecker crying in her beer for a few laughs as well though.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 05:47:12 PM »
I'd like to point out there are also other threads pertaining to this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26052
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26036

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »
From another thread:
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
Seems Benchmark choked on Psy's legal burrito. Go read the drumroll thread for more details.

Best parts of the whole thing for me, are the parts where the school was blowing hot air at Psy about the protest.

1) Absolute fact: Psy never called the mother of the student we tried to spring. She called us 19 billion times.
2) Absolute fact: Psy or myself never once trespassed on Benchmark's property like they claimed.
3) Absolute fact: We in no way positioned ourselves so that access to the school was blocked. Benchmark claims we somehow managed to interfere with the ability of the school to run. Beats the fuck out of me how we did that when all we were doing was standing on the sidewalk waving signs.
4) Absolute fact: We in no way offered monetary payment to the residents to entice them to leave. I did offer out of my own pocket some food money and a bus ticket. However, Benchmark attempted to portray this as Mike attempting to pay them to leave. Umm no dumbasses.. We offered them a means of escaping their little 'Animal Farm'.

How could we have kept them from running by standing on the sidewalk?
How could we stopped them from abusing their residents by following their vans? (ok that is a silly one on my part. Of course they can't abuse the residents if we are around with cameras.)

We exercised our legal rights to protest a public entity. In the court papers you can clearly see how Psy's lawyers illustrate Benchmark and Jayne Longnecker's public status. Benchmark has released press releases claiming some sort of high muckity muck status in the world of tormenting young men and women. Well from what I'm gathering they did such a good job one of them jumped off a bridge and another one of them started a website exposing them. As for the rest of them Psy can fill you in on those particulars if he is up to it.

Benchmark has heralded Jayne Longnecker as a leader in the torture industry. I have to say from a professional point of view I'm in awe of the woman. She is doing torture the right way. No heavy handed physical brutality for her..

Nope.. She and her henchmen go right for the mental jugular.

Take a look at those papers and you'll see the absolutely fucked up accounting as related by Psy regarding his friendship seminar. Not many things have the ability to make me slightly ill or full on puking sick. But that recounting of his friendship seminar made me feel like getting sick. Maybe I'm a cynical old bastard, but that shit really struck a nerve.

Now my friends, enemies, and everyone else.. What we have here is opportunity..

An opportunity to learn.

We can learn that persistance pays off.

So does hiring good lawyers.

But first and foremost let's examine the tools used by Psy to cover his ass in the beginning.

Old Psy threw up that website back in '06 and sent Her Nibs Jayne "The world's biggest fucking moron and soon to be unemployed welfare recipient" Longnecker an email. This email invited her to contact Psy if he needed to make corrections to his website.

So let's check it out..

He sent an email inviting Benchmark to make corrections...
He didn't lie.
He didn't attempt to cover his tracks by changing his content..
He got really good lawyers..
He showed common sense and played his cards close to his chest by not yammering on and on and on and on and on about it to everyone and their cousin all over the internet.

There is some more, but I'm going to leave that to Psy to discuss as I'm having a hard time wading through the legalese of the papers.

So my friends Let's partay like their is no tomorrow.

:rasta:  :rasta:  :rasta:  :rasta:  :rasta:  :rasta:  :rasta:  :rasta:

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 08:34:49 PM »
The press release has just been linked to on Care2.com
http://www.care2.com/news/member/550333743/942712

Thanks to Hurricayn for doing it!
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 07:28:23 AM »
You going to put your press release on the fornits front page? If not I'll do it.. just pm me my password on the blog. I forgot it...

again..

:wall:

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Benchmark Bitches and Moans!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 02:05:07 AM »
http://www.strugglingteens.com/artman/p ... 1110.shtml

Quote from: "Benchmark Sniveled and"
Benchmark Young Adult School
Redlands, CA

Benchmark Persists Against Internet Lies

Shelley Skaggs
Director of Marketing & PR
909-307-3973
http://www.benchmarkyoungadultschool.com

November 10, 2008

Benchmark Young Adult School announces today that its lawsuit against former student, Michael Crawford, has been dismissed due to a very short statute of limitations which applies to claims alleging damages from defamatory statements posted on the Internet. Benchmark filed the lawsuit in response to false and derogatory statements made by Crawford on his website and on certain Internet blogs. The lawsuit has been dismissed by way of a unique legal procedure called an "Anti-SLAPP" motion which applies in the context of lawsuits relating to the exercise of "free speech" under the First Amendment. Benchmark intends to appeal the Court's procedural ruling.

It is critical to note that the Court made no finding relating to the truth or falsity of any of the defamatory statements that Crawford made on his website. Benchmark stands by its assertion that Crawford has repeatedly made false and defamatory statements regarding Benchmark's philosophy, staff and curriculum, and Benchmark will continue to use every legal opportunity to pursue the truth. Indeed, the evidence presented to the Court by Benchmark made it clear that the statements at issue on Crawford's website were libelous. If you would like to review the testimonial evidence presented to the Court by Benchmark, click herehttp://http://www.wordpress.com/2008/11/08/read-sworn-declarations-by-in-support-of-benchmark-young-adult-school/.
 (Click here to see what Benchmark doesn't want you to read: http://www.fornits.com/psy/antiSlapp.pdf)  

Jayne Selby-Longnecker, founder and owner of Benchmark Young Adult School, states, "We knew we were fighting an uphill battle regarding this matter. Unfortunately, the First Amendment, in which I strongly believe, protects people who go around telling lies about others on the Internet. Internet law is a relatively new frontier and it is very difficult to effectively pursue and win a case against someone who posts untruths about you or your company. This is especially true when you may not know the substance or damaging effect of such statements until after the very short statute of limitations applicable to these claims has already run."

Benchmark Young Adult School is a co-educational, residential, emotional growth school, dedicated to assisting troubled teens and young adults, 18-28 years of age, as they transition into independent living.
For further information regarding Benchmark Young Adult School, please visit our website at
http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/ or contact us at 800-474-4848.

:waaaa:  :waaaa:  :waaaa:  :waaaa:

"It is critical to note that the Court made no finding relating to the truth or falsity of any of the defamatory statements that Crawford made on his website."

LOL...I think it is more "critical" to note that the Court thought using the term "school" to describe Benchmark was at best questionable, at worst...what it is.

HEY, JAYNE: SHOW SOME ACCOUNTABILITY, WOMAN!  I'd like to think a short statute of limitations screwed you like it screws program survivors, but you're lying.  You were aware of Psy's site from the beginning and you did nothing.  Now you post this snarky, petty and desperate mewling.  We saw the nosedive in your admissions, Jayne - how long are you going to be able to "persist"?  

Jayne is worse than I imagined her, Psy.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 02:23:53 AM »
The lawsuit has been dismissed by way of a unique legal procedure called an "Anti-SLAPP" motion which applies in the context of lawsuits relating to the exercise of "free speech" under the First Amendment.

My, my... that "unique legal procedure" must surely be an oversight... lol!!  :seg:  ::evil::
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Benchmark Bitches and Moans!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »
Quote from: "ZenAgent"
You were aware of Psy's site from the beginning and you did nothing.  Now you post this snarky, petty and desperate mewling.  We saw the nosedive in your admissions, Jayne - how long are you going to be able to "persist"?

Jayne is worse than I imagined her, Psy.

She is a piece of work, i'll grant you that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:53:59 AM »
The lawsuit has been dismissed by way of a unique legal procedure called an "Anti-SLAPP" motion which applies in the context of lawsuits relating to the exercise of "free speech" under the First Amendment. Benchmark intends to appeal the Court's procedural ruling.

They claim that they are going to appeal the ruling. What would that entail?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 09:57:05 AM »
To me, it's simple.  When Psy put up the website, he emailed her to invite corrections.  She decliened to do so.  One would think if there were any innacurate statements, she would have simply provided proof back then without waiting for "damages".  It's not Psy's fault she declined to do so.  She more or less consented to the publication of the website.  Moreover, she waited over a year to file a lawsuit, which is untimely and expressly forbidden by the statute of limitations.

The judge did not have to waste his time quibbling over truth or falsity.  In fact, he was forbidden to do so (that is for a trial).  What the judge had to decide was two things: did the case have to do with free speech, and could the plaintiff (Benchmark) prove the case was winnable.  Well, the statute of limitations pretty much kills the possibility of they winning right then and there, so why would the judge address anything else?  This is more spin from Benchmark and they'd be stupid to appeal the case.  It'll just end up costing them more than it is already, since anti-SLAPP awards court costs to the defendant if it suceeds (and it did).  The same goes for appeal. If they want to bankrupt themselves, they should continue.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 09:59:58 AM »
Quote from: "Auntie SLAPP"
The lawsuit has been dismissed by way of a unique legal procedure called an "Anti-SLAPP" motion which applies in the context of lawsuits relating to the exercise of "free speech" under the First Amendment. Benchmark intends to appeal the Court's procedural ruling.

I suppose that's for Psy and his lawyers to figure out at this point.  I wouldn't expect him to comment on an ongoing case.  Of course, Benchmark could be lying about the appeal (just claiming they will appeal for the PR).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 10:01:05 AM »

They would have to find some grounds for appeal. Whatever that might be is anybody's guess.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 10:03:51 AM »
I suppose Jayne, that shit eating bitch, can always sell her house that she had more or less built by Benchmark students to keep paying her lawyers.

also.. can someone copypasta the docs on that wordpress blog to this thread? Great firewall of china effing strikes again.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 10:08:11 AM »
Quote from: "Guestinator"

I suppose that's for Psy and his lawyers to figure out at this point.  I wouldn't expect him to comment on an ongoing case.  Of course, Benchmark could be lying about the appeal (just claiming they will appeal for the PR).

That sounds very believable. My guess is that is most likely the scenario.