Author Topic: cnn/robert downey jr./drug war protest  (Read 4597 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
cnn/robert downey jr./drug war protest
« on: July 01, 2001, 11:56:02 PM »
Re: Taking over the world
Yeah, we had those raps. You didn't? DARE was THE main reason why I started looking into homeschooling 4 years ago. Turns out there are a lot of good reasons to do it, but that was the impetus... I saw what the whole zero tollerance, zero respect, zero thought mentality was doing to my older daughter and most of her friends.

-If there's a worse idea going than locking kids up for victimless crimes, it's probably locking them in close proximity to some tyrannical altruist bent on helping them even if it kills them.
http://trebach.org/conference.html'>Saving our Children from Drug Treatment Abuse

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2001, 11:58:24 PM »
Re: DARE
I contend that it never was JUST a money making scheme, though money is a big part of it. DARE is primarily a scheme to normalize and promote the snitch culture.

The announced changes make it even more like the Program than it was to begin with. Now THAT's scary!

-If there's a worse idea going than locking kids up for victimless crimes, it's probably locking them in close proximity to some tyrannical altruist bent on helping them even if it kills them.
http://trebach.org/conference.html'>Saving our Children from Drug Treatment Abuse

Offline LostChild

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2001, 02:19:53 AM »
Re: cnn/robert downey jr./drug war protest
I went to a protest last spring for the release of Robert Downey Jr from prison.  I got some good information there and it was also televised, we chose to do it at the premiere of his movie "Black and White".  Our group quadrupled in size after the coverage of that event.  I think we need to do something that will be seen like that.

Colleen

Offline sullyceltic

• View Profile
    • http://www.nba.com/celtics
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM »
did anybody happen to see all of those protesters
outside the california courtroom this morning where

the hearing for robert downey jr. was taking place?

i wonder how much attention is going to be paid to

that.

they were carrying signs reading "end the drug war".

any thoughts?

sully

Offline BostonBrave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2001, 05:11:04 PM »
cnn/robert downey jr.drug war protest
  I did not see the protest,but as long as it was peaceful I would have been in support. The drug war is a disaster.By outlawing drugs we have created a lucrative black market that has spawned corruption all over the world. We have surrendered precious civil liberties and have made snooping a national obsession.

Robert Downey Jr is a sick man. In his last episode he was found in a hotel room alone with a large supply of cocaine.That's pathetic,but not criminal.Downey did not harm any other person. In the same manner, I was outraged to see Daryl Strawberry brought before the court in handcuffs on a possesion of drugs charge.You would have thought he was an ally of Timothy McVeigh the way he was manacled.

I am not in favor of the "recreational" use of drugs,but I think that war against their use is doomed to failure.Who would be most harmed by the decriminalization of drugs? Would it not be the drug cartels who bring misery and drive-by shootings to our land? Let's put them out of business.

Offline ScottM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2001, 06:55:16 PM »
Hollywood
I honestly feel bad for Robert. This poor fuck has to sit there and be the poster child for drug abuse and the only reason why is because he's a celebrity. If he was just some nobody, absolutely noone would care that he was in a hotel room with an ounce of coke and a blow up doll. Same thing with Strawberry, he's a crack head with the world watching him. The only reason why Downey Jr. got caught was because some faggot sounding papa razzi loving asshole (did you hear the tape??) figured it would make him famous or at least wealthy. I'm glad there was a protest because this whole thing with him makes me sick. I guess that's the price you pay to be famous but the way he's been treated is absolutely riciculous. I always say to my girlfriend that they should just let the poor bastard go and live his own life. The sad truth is that a story about him relapsing or what not get's the "eyeballs" watching the screen and that's really what it comes down to is how many "eyeballs" are watching the screen at once.

I'm sorry but this thing with him has always bothered me and needs to be stopped.

-Scott

Offline sullyceltic

• View Profile
    • http://www.nba.com/celtics
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2001, 07:26:12 PM »
Re: cnn/robert downey jr./drug war protest
i couldn't agree more, scott. it disgusts me to watch

someone in court, "in trouble" because of something

that they put in their body. you know, i think tattoos

are still outlawed in massachusetts. getting them

legally, that is.

shame on us as a society for what we do to people

like downey jr.

if the guy wants to do lines in his hotel room, more
power to him. as long as he stays off the road while

i'm tryin to designated drive my friends home.

sully

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2001, 10:52:21 PM »
Waking nightmares
This is just another of a long list of things that has always creeped me out because it reminds me so much of Program mentality.

What ticks me off more than anything about these stories is how they exploit the guys for propaganda. Of COURSE downey and Strawberry will tell you how messed up they were and how greatful for 'treatment.' Naturaly they say it with tear-filled eyes deep conviction. One false move, especially on camera, and they lose their get out of jail free card. I spent my whole childhood in basicaly the same situation and I feel for them.

Ever watch Maurey Povich or Salley Jesse Raphael hook little girls up to lie detector equipment and then ask them about personal, usually sexual and always devistatingly embarrasing things under the false pretense of offering vindication? This MORE than pisses me off. This scares the living shit out of me. How can they broadcast this kind of child abuse on national TV and NOT A SOUL EEVEN LIFT A FINGER TO STOP IT????

Anyone remember 'take over the world' raps? I remember one in particlar led by Richard Knowles in Sarasota.

"One day, Straightlings will run everything. All the druggies will shrivel up and die or we'll be the cops who put them in jail. We'll run the schools and even the grocery stores will be Straight grocery stores." That's the kind rap I always remember when I see DARE bumper stickers, work, school and other drug screening, mandatory minimums and other similar things.

For most of the past 20 years, I've just tried to ignore or avoid anything that reminded me of the Program; flip the channel, don't go to city or county sponsored events (DARE, surveilance, 'safety' checkpoints, etc). I finally got tired of jumping at shadows and started looking into some of these things that give me the creeps. I thought I was just looking under the bed to prove to myself that there were no boogie men there. What I've found is that there aren't nearl as many as I thought there might be, but there are some.

But if you want a short cut to find out where Sembler influence rests, just look for the most outrageous abuses of privacy and freedom, the most virulent Big Brother schemes and look under that rock. You won't ALLways find a connection. But more often than not you do.

Check this out.
www.thecentroybor.com/faq.htm

If anyone's looking for something fun to do in Tampa, think of some brief but useful piece of information that employees of the FaceIT company need to know, write it in bold lettering on a piece of paper and go hold it in front of the surveilance cameras.

Offline ScottM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2001, 12:39:35 PM »
Tattoos
Actually, they finally legalized them again up here. A bunch of the local piercing shops now offer tattoos. The owners need to take anatomy 101 at an accredited college and go through a basic state inspection and they're all set. I was pretty psyched to see that. MA is full of religious based blue laws. Remember when it was illegal to work on Sundays when we were kids. Still can't go to the liquor store on a Sunday unless it's the holiday season (I guess it's ok to drink on Sundays at Christmas) Do you remember when Kitty Dukakis drank rubbing alcohol on a Sunday. She ended up in the hospital. Some towns are still pretty backwards, in Stoneham you can't drink standing up at the bar you have to be sitting and you have to eat if you have 2 drinks or more. Smoking is pretty much non existent in all the bars except for a few cities that refuse to let the smoke nazi's get to them.

But I still won't drink my tap water no matter how safe they tell me it is. It's disgusting. You could fill your pool with it and wouldn't even need to add shock it has so much chlorine.

-Scott

Offline ScottM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2001, 12:50:14 PM »
Taking over the world
You guys actually had raps like that?? That is scary. I guess that was just more of a background thought that everyone was led to believe. People used to say things like "well so and so could use the program" all the way from Sadaam Hussein to the local paper boy who was late every day at your house.

A funny thing happened while we were moving where my girlfriends 12 year old daughter found an old pipe in a box and FREAKED OUT. She is a DARE graduate and it was amazing how well (sic) it actually works on these kids. She instantly looked at her mother and I as hard core druggies and that we were completely evil and bad. I barely smoke pot at all anymore since it's just plain inconvienient in my life. You could definately see Betty's influence in the way she reacted and it really scared both of us at how this girl is about to go into the high school and then everything she's learned at DARE is going to be questioned in her mind. When her best friends experiment and turn into "Hard Core Druggies" then what is she going to do? That's a position that I've read is the worst part about DARE is that it creates a social rift with drug abuse rather than being an educational experience.

I'm suprised they don't use the term druggie friend etc.. Who knows maybe they did.

-Scott

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2001, 02:54:32 PM »
Re: DARE
Yeah, Dare has everyone going nuts. First of all, it does not work, it was just a money making scheme for a group of retired LA cops. They give out stickers, the way the Nazi's gave out arm bands. Lately I see a lot of people who deliberately wear the Dare shirts while they are getting messed up at parties, and it is pretty funny.

School districts are beginning to reject Dare and either run their own program or hire a different program. Dare itself claims to be changing but, their description of the changes, where students would have group discussions instead of having cops lecture them still leaves a lot to be desired.

Slavish discipline makes a slavish temper... If severity carry'd to the
highest pitch does prevail, and works a cure upon the present unruly
distemper, it often brings in the room of it a worse and more dangerous
disease, by breaking the mind; and then, in the place of a disorderly young
fellow, you have a low spirited moap'd creature, who, however with his
unnatural sobriety he may please silly people, who commend tame unactive
children, because they make no noise, nor give them any trouble; yet at
last, will probably prove as uncomfortable a thing to his friends, as he
will be all his life an useless thing to himself and others... Beating them,
and all other sorts of slavish and corporal punishments, are not the
discipline fit to be used in the education of those we would have wise,
good, and ingenuous men...
John Locke, 1692

All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"