Author Topic: DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) now at Benchmark  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) now at Benchmark
« on: September 17, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »
So...I take it they will "all go through the training," but probably not together, and just who will DBT be practiced on, when the day is done?

Benchmark Adds DBT To Curriculum

Admissions
800-474-4848
[email protected].
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) now at Benchmark
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:27:12 AM »
um... I thought DBT was SPECIFIC for borderline personality disorder?

How the fuck would it be used in this case? It's pretty demanding, but part of the thing is that you have to CONSENT to be in it. It means nothing if people are MADE to be in it, since it's important that the individuals with borderline actively seek assistance with their issues regarding behavior and perception.

It can be quite effective. I have a friend who has been in DBT and it has done her a world of good. I myself have gone through CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), which is for people suffering from depression and bipolar, and I found it to be freakin amazing. One of the things that is addressed time and time again in both of these is the issue of perception and reality checks. That is pretty antithetical to places like benchmark.

This is the most blatant misuse of a form of therapy I have ever heard. It's fucking disgusting!!! Who at this school is even qualified to diagnose a student as borderline? And it is totally inappropriate to FORCE a group of students, none of whom, I am sure, have been diagnosed as borderline, to go through it!

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:38:29 AM »
That's not twuu... Jayne Says "Students can apply this technique to all aspects of their recovery and growth."

See.  It's a one size fits all solution!  She's careful to call them "students" and implies it is the students themselves that will be somehow "learning" or applying these techniques on themselves in these "training sessions".  No unauthorized therapy going on at Benchmark...  Noep.. none at all.. just "education".  It's "training sessions"..  not "raps" or "group".  lols.

::fullofshit::

'You can add a pickle on the side but a shit sandwitch is still a shit sandwitch" - Antigen (paraphrasing)
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:45:45 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
That's not twuu... Jayne Says "Students can apply this technique to all aspects of their recovery and growth."

See.  It's a one size fits all solution!  She's careful to call them "students" and implies it is the students themselves that will be somehow "learning" or applying these techniques on themselves in these "training sessions".  No unauthorized therapy going on at Benchmark...  Noep.. none at all.. just "education".  It's "training sessions"..  not "raps" or "group".  lols.

::fullofshit::

'You can add a pickle on the side but a shit sandwitch is still a shit sandwitch" - Antigen (paraphrasing)

Couldn't this be used possibly, as grounds for malpractice? Since it qualifies as a specific, legitimate treatment used for a specific condition, as opposed to something nebulous like primal scream or bioenergetics?

Even the over-medication used by Ulrich, I think, would be more difficult to prove, since most of those medications can be used for a variety of conditions, often inappropriately, even in the public sector. But this is really ONLY for people with spectrum mood disorders. Certainly not for all "students" at a school.

I would think this could be a good argument for misusing a specific therapy for a general, undiagnosed population. I wonder what Dr. Linehan would say about this. Maybe someone should ask her.

There is apparently a study from Washington state in which DBT was used on juvenile offenders. Im wondering if Jayne seized on that. Im downloading the pdf now to read.

The thought about the potential for how this particular type of therapy could be misused scares the hell out of me.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 10:11:08 AM »
My suspicion is they aren't really changing anything... just giving it a new name (like how "counselors" became "life coaches"). It smells like marketing to me.  And i'm not sure about malpractice.  They're pretty careful to state they're just "educating" about the practice in "training sessions" as part of their "curriculum".  You and I know from experience that has a 99.9% probability of being complete horseshit but disproving it is entirely a different manner.  Guess i'll have to wait a few more years for the next gen or Benchmark surviors (if the program survives that long after the legal ass-raping my lawyers gave them).
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »
Quote from: "try another castle"
There is apparently a study from Washington state in which DBT was used on juvenile offenders. Im wondering if Jayne seized on that. Im downloading the pdf now to read

I would be interested also, if you could provide a link, please..

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: "try another castle"
There is apparently a study from Washington state in which DBT was used on juvenile offenders. Im wondering if Jayne seized on that. Im downloading the pdf now to read

I would be interested also, if you could provide a link, please..

http://www.wsipp.wa.gov/rptfiles/JRA_DBT.pdf