Author Topic: Controversy spurs gentler approach in Utah wilderness  (Read 5283 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Re: Controversy spurs gentler approach in Utah wilderness
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2008, 06:54:30 PM »
Quote from: "Giest"
Quote from: "Login???????????"
Quote from: "TheWho"
 Until then I would be very sceptical about what you are reading here from our troll friend who is afraid to log in.

Oh, and do your posts carry more weight because you have the fake moniker, "The Who" attached to them???  How are you any different from anyone else that is posing a relevant question?

Wait...............I just answered my own question.  Your inquiries are RARELY relevant and more often completely misleading.

Never mind!  :D

This is his standard M.O., name calling to get a rise. Sticks and stones...  ;D

Thanks Giest, but having someone call my moniker fake isnt the worst name calling I have encountered.  I have been called much worse.  Name calling is one of the first tip offs that you are dealing with a troll or someone who is frustrated and doesnt want to listen.  It is better just to ignore them.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2008, 07:02:30 PM »
Name calling is one of the first tip offs that you are dealing with a troll or someone who is frustrated and doesnt want to listen.  

I wouldn't call you a troll. I wouldn't call you afraid because you don't post under your legal name. For some reason you find this name calling necessary, it's childish. When you are ready to have a grown up discussion, let me know.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2008, 07:10:12 PM »
Name calling is one of the first tip offs that you are dealing with a troll or someone who is frustrated and doesnt want to listen.  

I wouldn't call you a troll. I wouldn't call you afraid because you don't post under your legal name. For some reason you find this name calling necessary, it's childish. When you are ready to have a grown up discussion, let me know.

The name calling is unneccessary.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2008, 07:12:25 PM »
Quote from: "FrankW"

The name calling is unneccessary.

I'm glad you agree because it's hard to have a discussion this way. The real question is why he resorts to such childish tactics. Some people think TheWho is only interested in provoking people, and I am beginning to agree with them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2008, 07:16:44 PM »

Thanks Giest, but having someone call my moniker fake isnt the worst name calling I have encountered.  I have been called much worse.  Name calling is one of the first tip offs that you are dealing with a troll or someone who is frustrated and doesnt want to listen.  It is better just to ignore them.

And again, like you really believe Giest is coming to your defense.  Honestly, do you really wonder why no one takes you seriously?  I mean, maybe people did a while back.  I think I was even sucked in a few times, but after all this????   Really???

All you reveal is how desperate you are to believe what they've told you.  Otherwise, everything you've invested over these last years...........all that time.......all that 'love'...all that effort.......all that energy......all that money.........well, my god.   What WILL you say??  Years from now???  How WILL you explain yourself????   I can tell you now that my father is having an incredibly difficult time in defending speeches he made to Rotary years ago, praising the program.  He's having a difficult time explaining how he condoned things that he never EVER would have if not for the influence of 'tough love'.....all in the name of protecting the program.  The end justifies the means.  These kids are gonna DIE without us!!!

Fucking SPARE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

With people like Who and my dad I really think it boils down to not being able to face what they did.  The longer I live, the more he and I talk, the more I raise my own kids, the more I see that these people are afraid.  Very afraid.   Afraid of their kids.  Afraid of themselves.  Afraid of society and what it'll "do to their kids"....(the parents don't realize how much influence they have).....Thus, the fear mongering works.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2008, 07:47:35 PM »
And again, like you really believe Giest is coming to your defense. Honestly, do you really wonder why no one takes you seriously? I mean, maybe people did a while back. I think I was even sucked in a few times, but after all this???? Really???

All you reveal is how desperate you are to believe what they've told you. Otherwise, everything you've invested over these last years...........all that time.......all that 'love'...all that effort.......all that energy......all that money.........well, my god. What WILL you say?? Years from now??? How WILL you explain yourself???? I can tell you now that my father is having an incredibly difficult time in defending speeches he made to Rotary years ago, praising the program. He's having a difficult time explaining how he condoned things that he never EVER would have if not for the influence of 'tough love'.....all in the name of protecting the program. The end justifies the means. These kids are gonna DIE without us!!!

Fucking SPARE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell your dad not to take it to heart and not to beat himself up over it.  My mom to this day still wishes she didn’t feed us bacon and eggs every morning with whole milk.  She didn’t know this was unhealthy at the time.  My dad use to smoke cigarettes in the house.  My grandmother smoked when she was pregnant.  No one knew at the time that this was unhealthy.
Your dad thought he was doing the right thing at the time and for the right reasons, that is what is important.

With people like Who and my dad I really think it boils down to not being able to face what they did. The longer I live, the more he and I talk, the more I raise my own kids, the more I see that these people are afraid. Very afraid. Afraid of their kids. Afraid of themselves. Afraid of society and what it'll "do to their kids"....(the parents don't realize how much influence they have).....Thus, the fear mongering works.

I Think in your dads case it is true and he shouldn’t feel that way.  Who knows in another 20 years or so you will look back at how you tried to keep parents from sending their kids to programs only to find out it was the worst decision ever.  Programs have come along way in the last 30 years.  This generation of schools may turn out to be the best thing for at-risk youth.  But you will have to look back and say you really believed in your heart that you were doing the right thing by telling people not to send their kids, which I think you are.  You shouldn’t spend the rest of your life feeling you did the wrong thing.

Look at the people who died in car crashes because they didn’t have air bags.  Do you think the retired auto engineers sit around in guilt all day?  Of course not!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
TheWho: why do you post on this forum, what is your motivation?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2008, 08:01:31 PM »
Tell your dad not to take it to heart and not to beat himself up over it.  My mom to this day still wishes she didn’t feed us bacon and eggs every morning with whole milk.  She didn’t know this was unhealthy at the time.  My dad use to smoke cigarettes in the house.  My grandmother smoked when she was pregnant.  No one knew at the time that this was unhealthy.
Your dad thought he was doing the right thing at the time and for the right reasons, that is what is important.

But now most people agree that excessive cholesterol and alcohol intakes are harmful.  Just as now most rational, sane, compassionate, medical professionals realize that the 'tough love' concept is not only outdated and ineffective, but actually harmful.

I Think in your dads case it is true and he shouldn’t feel that way.  Who knows in another 20 years or so you will look back at how you tried to keep parents from sending their kids to programs only to find out it was the worst decision ever.

It's BEEN 20 years or so.  People are upset with me that I didn't speak out sooner about what I knew about not only my own programs(s), but the undeniably common denominators in them ALL.  And I DO have grown kids who have been through, and put ME through all the trauma and turmoil thatI've heard described here.

Programs have come along way in the last 30 years.

[Citation needed]

This generation of schools may turn out to be the best thing for at-risk youth.

[Citation needed]

But you will have to look back and say you really believed in your heart that you were doing the right thing by telling people not to send their kids, which I think you are.

I am.  I'm saying, FLAT OUT, don't send your kids.  Or anyone else's for that matter.

You shouldn’t spend the rest of your life feeling you did the wrong thing.

I don't.  That's your's and my dad's jobs.

Look at the people who died in car crashes because they didn’t have air bags.  Do you think the retired auto engineers sit around in guilt all day?  Of course not!!

What is it in you that allows you to equate children to cars??????????  That's a VERY common analogy with you.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »
Quote from: "Question"

Lets say that you attended a program and that you were abused and didn’t make out too well there and you knew other people who were abused also and a year or 2 after you graduated you came across a site/forum like fornits which talked about how great programs are and how everyone makes out well and not one person has ever done poorly.  They say all programs are the same and my programs was great so therefore they all must be great!!

Then you decide to post your story and everyone calls you a liar and says you were never abused.  “Its not possible all programs are the same”, they tell you “and we turned out okay”.  “Just give it a few years and you will see the truth”.  But you stand your ground even though they tag you with a scarlet letter, call you a Nazi,  call you names and say someone must be paying you to post that nonsense, call your posts spam and flooding and even manage to get you banned a few times, try to find out who you are and where you work.   Kids were being sent to programs left and right without a thought of them being abused.  Wouldn’t you want to stay and add a little balance in the case that maybe one person would listen to you and you could help one child?  Wouldn’t that be worth it to you?

Well that is what I face every day on fornits and I post against all odds to reach a few parents who are looking for help for their child.  We all know in reality that not all programs are the same and that they help a tremendous number of children.  Fornits choses to focus on the kids who have been abused and didn’t finish the program which is a good cause but many here deceive parents into not getting any help for their own children or making them feel guilty for trying.  I try to add balance to that.  I think you would do the same thing in your circumstance if you could.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2008, 08:31:01 PM »

So, as long as Dad "thought" he was doing the right thing it makes the (none from him, all from program) beatings, the humiliation, the forced confessions, the isolation......that was all OK because he "thought he was doing the right thing at the time and for the right reasons.....THAT'S what is important"   the abuse, all OK cuz he "meant well"?   Shit!!!!  Miller Newton THOUGHT he was doing the right thing.  He STILL does.  He STILL defends what he did years ago and what he does now.  No, it's not what is important.  What is important is the effect it had on me and my development as a person.    The road to hell and all.............  What's important, is the consequences of these thought processees (sp).  What's important is that people finally realize that force/coercion has NO PLACE in a therapeutic setting.  "Positive peer pressure" my ass.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »
So, as long as Dad "thought" he was doing the right thing it makes the (none from him, all from program) beatings, the humiliation, the forced confessions, the isolation......that was all OK because he "thought he was doing the right thing at the time and for the right reasons.....THAT'S what is important" the abuse, all OK cuz he "meant well"? Shit!!!! Miller Newton THOUGHT he was doing the right thing. He STILL does. He STILL defends what he did years ago and what he does now. No, it's not what is important. What is important is the effect it had on me and my development as a person. The road to hell and all............. What's important, is the consequences of these thought processees (sp). What's important is that people finally realize that force/coercion has NO PLACE in a therapeutic setting. "Positive peer pressure" my ass.

Sure, if he knew they were beating you then yes he should feel guilty and was a lousy parent if he didn’t try to get you out.  But if he felt (at the time) what he did was the best for you then he shouldn’t feel guilty now.  The same as my mother should not feel guilty that she was feeding her kids bacon and eggs, whole milk etc. And my dad was smoking in the house around the kids.  If they were doing it now then yes it would be wrong.  But what your dad did and my mother did is not anything to feel guilty about.
And if it turns out that the programs of today are proven to be the best thing since penicillin you shouldn’t feel guilty for trying to stop kids from getting help because you are doing what you feel is best right now in your own mind.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »
So anyway, what about this place in Utah...?

Seems like every thread turns into the same tiresome debate.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2008, 09:03:08 PM »
Quote from: "Question"

Lets say that you attended a program and that you were abused and didn’t make out too well there and you knew other people who were abused also and a year or 2 after you graduated you came across a site/forum like fornits which talked about how great programs are and how everyone makes out well and not one person has ever done poorly.  They say all programs are the same and my programs was great so therefore they all must be great!!

Then you decide to post your story and everyone calls you a liar and says you were never abused.  “Its not possible all programs are the same”, they tell you “and we turned out okay”.  “Just give it a few years and you will see the truth”.  But you stand your ground even though they tag you with a scarlet letter, call you a Nazi,  call you names and say someone must be paying you to post that nonsense, call your posts spam and flooding and even manage to get you banned a few times, try to find out who you are and where you work.   Kids were being sent to programs left and right without a thought of them being abused.  Wouldn’t you want to stay and add a little balance in the case that maybe one person would listen to you and you could help one child?  Wouldn’t that be worth it to you?

Well that is what I face every day on fornits and I post against all odds to reach a few parents who are looking for help for their child.  We all know in reality that not all programs are the same and that they help a tremendous number of children.  Fornits choses to focus on the kids who have been abused and didn’t finish the program which is a good cause but many here deceive parents into not getting any help for their own children or making them feel guilty for trying.  I try to add balance to that.  I think you would do the same thing in your circumstance if you could.

You must realize that most of the world agrees with your position. Take a look at the comments on any news story regarding a death in a program. Most cheer it on, saying the "little bastard deserved what they got". You get out of the program and tell your parents you were abused and they say it was for your own good. You tell the police and they say they can't do anything. You call a lawyer and they ask for thousands of dollars. You write your congressman, they send you a form response letter.

You are not in the minority, TheWho. On fornits, perhaps, but not in the real world. Fornits has an accurate tally now of how many people are on this forum. A dozen, maybe a few more or less, at any given time. That's a very small sliver of the population.

The reason why so many parents believe programs work, is because on the surface, it "seems" like a good idea. All the words and pictures fit together in a mythical way that creates an aura of pleasant imaginations. I know, because I wasn't forced into all the programs I attended. I went willingly to a couple of them after perusing brochures, and discussing it over with my psychiatrist and my parents. Weren't we all surprised when we found out it was horribly abusive, both psychologically and physical. Well, the truth is neither the psychiatrist or parents cared. For a while, eventually after a long period of estrangement they realized I had no motivation to lie, and I had been telling the truth after all.

Fornits is one of the only places in the world where you can discuss these events, and people will believe you. My own friends don't believe what I tell them, so I am never surprised when a parent or someone like that doesn't either. It doesn't make sense. These things don't happen in the United States, a country which everyone thinks would protect it's children. But the truth is bad things happen in programs, and the reason bad things happen is because the theory behind the "treatment" is flawed.

I went from the juvenille justice system, to the psychiatric system, to the RTC system, and finally through the private program arena. The biggest noticeable difference is that the kids in the private sector, I couldn't figure out for the life of me why they were there. I knew why I was there, I was the "special case". The fucked up kid with a long list of mental illness and medication, which nobody knows what to do with. There was a couple of us who had actually been addicted to hard drugs, done illegal things, and faced criminal charges and incarceration. 98% of the kids I met in private programs were there for reasons that do not justify forced incarceration.

I am still flabbergasted at their fate. Kids as young as 12 all the way to 18, all offered the same form "treatment plan" which consisted of uncomfortable and unhealthy living conditions (we all got pink eye and scabies), coercive brainwashing also referred to as behavior modification, confrontational group therapies which consisted of the group of kids tearing each other down, to the delight and entertainment of the high-school educated staff. I know this type of environment does not help anyone, from kids like me who were in treatment for a reason, to the majority who had no business being in any sort of locked environment.

I know what good treatment looks like. The difference is night and day. Private programs and the theories behind their actions do harm, and no good. Notice I did not say they do more harm than good. The good that parents perceive, is a culmination of the child's fear and gratification of being granted leave from the precarious and dangerous situation they surprisingly found themselves in. Parents see this as some sort of result, but it is false. I saw what happens before the parents enter the room. I know what was told of us, what we were supposed to say, and what we weren't supposed to say. The program and us were partners in deception. Deception of the only people that matter, the people signing the checks. This deception continues into the home after the child's eventual return, in fear of being sent again. Many parents vocalize this thread quite regularly as a way to keep order. Fear works.

Positive professional treatment versus confrontational and coercive programs, the effectiveness to me is obvious having flavored both. Remember those normal kids who were sent to a program for ditching school, smoking ciggarettes and having sex? Some of them get out and then kill themselves because of what was done to them.

Parents want to send their kid away for conduct disorder, or depression. A proper RTC will not under any circumstances take a kid away from their school, family and friends for this. As professionals they know that these are better treated in the home. Parents are bypassing traditional treatment because they feel the bar is too high on how "bad" their teen has to get in order to do a full intervention (lockup). I've seen the consequences of this myself, and it's not inspiring.

So you claim that your views and opinions are not tolerated and you are an oppressed minority, forgive me for finding this laughable. You can imagine if fornits equated society how it would feel to be us in everyday life.

You have the entire world. We have this small sliver of cyberspace.

As far as parents finding this site and me trying to scare them into not sending their teen. I plead guilty. I would never suggest a parent follow the actions of my parents, nor would they. But we both know not many parents stop into fornits and read 5 page long threads. Google troubled teen and see what they read. It's 99.9% pro program marketing websites.

I told my parents in letters exactly what was happening, actions that would land a parent in jail if they were done at home, and they ignored it. They chose to believe the programs explanation that it was all manipulation.  

I have no anger any more, it's been several years. I love both my parents and we get along. I am more concerned that other people will follow their mistaken choice, as they freely admit, and it will result in a family's destruction instead of it's salvation. Our goals seem to be the same, our experience seems to differ greatly.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2008, 09:12:43 PM »
Wow, that was quite lengthy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2008, 09:19:34 PM »
:D Sorry about that!  :blabla:  ::evil::  ;D