Author Topic: Keyser teacher to compete in Charleston  (Read 1072 times)

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
Keyser teacher to compete in Charleston
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:16:56 PM »
KEYSER, W.Va. -

Cassandra Pratt of Keyser, a teacher at the J.M. “Chick” Buckbee Juvenile Center in Augusta, was recently named the 2009 West Virginia Office of Institutional Education Programs (OIEP) Teacher of the Year for juvenile programs.  Calling this recognition “an honor,” the 30-year-old educator said in recent years that the award has been given to teachers with 20-plus years’ experience in the field of institutional education.

“I was really honored to be chosen out of all of those great teachers,” she said. “I can’t be more honored than that. It’s one of the highest honors a teacher can receive, being compared to other teachers in a league of such excellence.”

A 1996 graduate of Philip Barbour High School in Philippi, W.Va., Pratt received a bachelors of secondary education in social studies for grades 5-12 degree from Fairmont State University, as well as a masters of special education degree with a certification in multi-categorical from Marshall University in Huntington.  In her sixth year at the maximum-security juvenile center, Pratt says it can be challenging working with a population of at-risk youths who “don’t necessarily trust adults.”

“You have to establish trust and a mutual respect,” explains Pratt. “These kids are no different than kids in public school. I try to get to know them and who they are and to encourage them and build their self-esteem and confidence.”  Her philosophy of teaching includes reflecting on the success or failure of every lesson or teaching strategy, developing a relationship of mutual respect between students and herself, caring about her students and their own personal successes and challenges, and lastly, developing her own personal strengths and weaknesses.

Pratt also strives to instill in her students the understanding that as human beings, some things will respond easily and some won’t.  Daniel Gardner, principal at the J. M. “Chick” Buckbee Center School,   praised Pratt.  “I don’t think you will find anyone who has the qualifications, determination, and dedication, more enthusiasm, compassion and energy as Mrs. Pratt.”  Pratt will attend the West Virginia Teacher of the Year Banquet this month in Charleston, where the state winner will be announced.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca