Author Topic: "Some" Licensed Schools and Programs  (Read 4110 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
"Some" Licensed Schools and Programs
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:12:41 PM »
Reference

Schools/programs which have state licensure or JCAHO accreditation, or both.

•   Adirondack Leadership Expeditions
Permit from New York Department of Health
•   Anasazi Foundation
JCAHO accredited, licensed by Arizona Department of Economic Security and
•   Department of Human Services as a Behavioral Healthcare Provider.
•   Aspen Achievement Academy
JCAHO accredited, licensed as an Outdoor Treatment Program by the Utah Department of Human Services
•   Aspen Ranch
Licensed as a Residential Treatment Center in Utah
•   Boulder Creek Academy
Licensed by the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
•   Catherine Freer
JCAHO accredited, licensed as a Mental Health Program and an Alcohol and Drug Abuse
Program by the State of Oregon
•   Center for Change
JCAHO accredited
•   Chapel Haven
Licensed by Connecticut
•   Copper Canyon Academy
Arizona Behavioral Health Services licensed.
•   Explorations Home Base
Licensed by Montana as a group home
•   Forest Heights Lodge
JCAHO Accredited
•   Glenholme School
Licensed by the Connecticut Department of Children and Families
•   Gray Wolf Ranch
Licensed through Washington State Department of Health
•   Greenwood School
Licensed by the State of Vermont
•   Hazelden Center For Youth & Families
Licensed and accredited by JCAHO, and Minnesota Department of Health
•   Intermountain
JCAHO and Montana State licensed
•   Island View
Licensed by the Utah Division of Licensure and JCAHO
•   King George School
Accredited by Vermont Department of Child and Family Services
•   The Learning Clinic
Licensed by the State of Connecticut Department of Children & Families
•   Logan River Academy
Licensed by the State of Utah Department of Human Services
•   Menninger Clinic
JCAHO accredited and licensed by the Texas Department of Health
•   Mount Bachelor Academy
Licensed by Oregon Department of Health and Human Services
•   New Dominion School of Virginia
Licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia with Interdepartmental Licensure and Certification
•   New Haven Female RTC
Licensed by Utah as a Residential Treatment Center and as an Addiction Treatment Center
•   New Leaf Academy
Licensed by the State of Oregon
•   Northwest Academy
Licensed as a "Children's Residential Care Facility" in Idaho
•   Provo Canyon School
JCAHO accredited, licensed by Utah Department of Human Services
•   Remuda Ranch Programs
JCAHO accredited, licensed by the State of Arizona
•   Redcliff Ascent
Licensed by the State of Utah
•   Riverview School
Licensed by Massachusetts Office of Child Care Services
•   Rogers Memorial Hospital
JCAHO accredited, licensed by Wisconsin as Psychiatric Hospital
•   San Cristobal Ranch Academy
Licensed in New Mexico as a Pharmaceutical Custodial Care Facility
•   Sierra Tucson
JCAHO accredited
•   Spring Ridge Academy
Licensed by the Arizona Department of Behavioral Health
•   Spruce Mountain Inn
Licensed in Vermont as a Therapeutic Community Residence
•   Summit Achievement
Licensed as a Residential Treatment Center in Maine, with Mental Health and Substance
Abuse Treatment certifications
•   SUWS Adolescent Program
Licensed in Idaho
•   SUWS Youth Program
Licensed in Idaho
•   SUWS of the Carolinas
Licensed in North Carolina
•   Three Springs of Duck River
Licensed Residential Child Care Facility in Tennessee
•   Three Springs - Paint Rock Valley
Licensed as an Outdoor Treatment Center by the Alabama Department of Youth Services
•   Valley View School
Licensed as Treatment Facility in Massachusetts
•   Villa Santa Maria
Licensed by New Mexico to provide Residential Treatment
•   Vista Adolescent Treatment Centers
JCAHO accredited, licensed by the Utah Department of Human Services
•   Wilderness Quest
JCAHO accredited, Licensed by the Utah Department of Human Services

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
Re: "Some" Licensed Schools and Programs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:48:11 PM »
TheWho-

You seem to have forgotten SIBS:

•   Straight, Inc. By The Sea
Licensed in Florida

http://fornits.com/SIBS

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 10:18:55 AM »
Who,

You inadvertanty prove our point to anyone who actually pays attention to these things.

So ALE has a permit from the Department of Health, big whoop.  Where is their license from the Office of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services since they claim to treat youth with substance abuse issues?  Where is their license from the State Office of Mental Health since they claim to treat youth with mental health issues?  Where is their license from the Office of Child and Family Services since they have physical custody over youth for a period of time?

Ditto for FFS, although that's not on your list, since I've seen them claim accreditation by the New York State's Board of Regents (which is valid).  I've spoken to the person who oversees their accreditation, and his hands are tied to do anything about abuses that aren't of an "educational" matter.  CPS has that responsibility, and as we all know CPS can only handle specific cases of abuse, not systemic abuse.

And by the way this list you provide is a fraction of the private residential programs that exist.

So again your point is?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 11:13:30 AM »
Quote from: "blombrowski"
So ALE has a permit from the Department of Health, big whoop. Where is their license from the Office of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services since they claim to treat youth with substance abuse issues? Where is their license from the State Office of Mental Health since they claim to treat youth with mental health issues? Where is their license from the Office of Child and Family Services since they have physical custody over youth for a period of time?
The state that they practice in seems to disagree with you.  I would try to contact them for further explanation.

Ditto for FFS, although that's not on your list, since I've seen them claim accreditation by the New York State's Board of Regents (which is valid). I've spoken to the person who oversees their accreditation, and his hands are tied to do anything about abuses that aren't of an "educational" matter. CPS has that responsibility, and as we all know CPS can only handle specific cases of abuse, not systemic abuse.

And by the way this list you provide is a fraction of the private residential programs that exist.

So again your point is?
The list I provided is in no way complete.  I initially went back and added the word “Some” to the title to help clarify that the list was a fraction of the schools which are licensed.  My apologies for not being clear enough.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:16:20 AM »
Provo Canyon School

Several individual and class-action lawsuits were filed against the school during the 1980s and 1990s, alleging abuse, violation of students' First Amendment rights, false imprisonment, invasion of privacy, medical negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress, civil conspiracy, loss of parental consortium, and battery[3]. Some suits were dismissed due to the statute of limitation (four years), but in at least three cases Provo Canyon School was judged to have fraud, medical negligence, false imprisonment, breach of fiduciary duty, and gross negligence (Taylor v. Provo Canyon School), of cruel and unusual punishment, antitherapeutic and inhumane treatment, and denial of due process of law (Milonas and Rice v. Provo Canyon School). Several other suits are pending.[citation needed] A number of former students who consider themselves psychiatric survivors of abuse have organized online support groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provo_Canyon_School

SUWS of the Carolinas

Two known deaths are recorded:
  * Gregory Owen Jones -aged 13. On July 3 - 1985 died of dehydration. Due to heat wave in the area the first two waterholes were empty and Mr. Jones collapsed and died on the way to waterhole a third waterhole.

* Rocco Magliozzi - aged 12 died July 2006 when he contracted the West Nile Virus. The program sent Rocco to the doctor, who cleared him to return to the desert. When he was taken to the doctor a second time, he never returned to the desert and passed away in the hospital [4]

http://www.secretprisonsforteens.dk/for ... x.php/SUWS

TheWho wants parents to trust a list that includes programs proven to be abusive in a court of law. He is attempting to trick parents into sending their kid to a program that killed a twelve and thirteen year old child. How many more programs on this list are abusive? I only had time to research a couple, but obviously the entire list is tainted.

Before parents trust "TheWho" - visit this site: http://teenadvocatesusa.homestead.com/INMEMORIAM.html

Think about how that many children can be killed in "treatment", and why nothing has been done about it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:22:47 AM »
I just picked another random one from the list to research, and guess what I found - more unnecessary deaths of children.

Catherine Freer
JCAHO accredited, licensed as a Mental Health Program and an Alcohol and Drug Abuse

May 27, 2002 a 15 year old girl (Erica Harvey) died during a hike. Another girl - 15 years of age -  died October 20 the same year.

March 26, 2003 a tree crushed the skull of 16 year old Corey Baines from Santa Rosa.

In 2005 18 year old Chase W. Bickell was seriously injured.

http://www.secretprisonsforteens.dk/US/Cfreer.htm

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
I had pulled this list together awhile ago and should help answer your questions about deaths in programs versus leaving them in institutionally run public schools.

As a parent, I found all this a little difficult to sort out, so I organized the data to include just those children who attended Wilderness and TBS, for those parents who are interested in looking at those distinct areas.

July 1, 2000 thru June 2001   Children 8-18 years of age.

Public Sector: -------There were 1,466 Homicides and 1,493 suicides   , 2,959 Total  (NCES, CDC)

Therapeutic Industry:

TBS ---------------------There were 0 Homicides, 1 suicides, ----- 1 Total

Wilderness -----------There were 0 Homicides, 0 suicides, ----- 0 Total
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Industry -------There were 0 Homicides , 1 suicides, ----- 1 Total

Public Sector: -------There were 1,468 Homicides and 1,400 suicides   , 2,868 Total  (NCES, CDC)

Therapeutic Industry:

TBS ---------------------There were 0 Homicides, 0 suicides, ----- 0 Total

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Industry -------There were 0 Homicides , 0 suicides, ----- 0 Total

Public Sector: -------There were 1,515 Homicides and 1,331 suicides   , 2,846 Total  (NCES, CDC)

Therapeutic Industry:

Public Sector: -------There were 1,437 Homicides and 1,285 suicides   , 2,722 Total  (NCES, CDC)

Therapeutic Industry:

TBS - Therapeutic Boarding Schools
 NCES National Center for Education Statistics
CDC -- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
* - Data found here on fornits, internet news articles (caica.org, isaccorp.org), posts and PM?s....  All deaths are verified thru local news articles.
X -- Incomplete or unavailable

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 11:41:14 AM »
Mommy, PLEASE make it stop!!!  No!  Not your fucking tables again!!!!  Please, anything but that.

You are such a tool.  You keep posting this shit like it means something.  You're cherry picked "stats" and manipulation of facts (a lot of these places are "accredited" by agencies that don't really do anything but collect dues) are about as useless as you are.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 11:43:31 AM »
Picked another random program from the list - big surprise - more unnecessary deaths of children.

• Aspen Achievement Academy
JCAHO accredited, licensed as an Outdoor Treatment Program by the Utah Department of Human Services
• Aspen Ranch
Licensed as a Residential Treatment Center in Utah

-------

On June 27, Brendan Blum of California was suffering bowel and stomach problems. He had been vomiting and suffering from diarrhea all night, said Draper Police Sgt. Gerry Allred. Rather than contacting the on-call nurse as the facility's policy dictates, the boy was simply given some medicine and put in a separate room away from the rest of the boys, he said. The next morning, the boy, who was listed as a disabled child because he had Asperger's syndrome, was found dead on his mattress.

"There was no really good reason why they didn't take him ... no explanation except they just thought it was an upset stomach," Allred said.

An autopsy determined the boy had an obstructed bowel that deteriorated as the night went on, Allred said. The on-call nurse, who was later interviewed by police, said if she had been called to look at the boy she would have advised he immediately go to the hospital, he said.
The Utah State Medical Examiner concurred, "if medical intervention had been obtained, (the boy's) death would have been preventable," according to court documents.

The boy's mother, Dana Blum, said she is appalled that workers at the facility didn't take him to an emergency room. Any time a child dies while in the care of a licensed facility, the facility should be shut down immediately, she said.

Blum has filed a complaint with the Utah licensing board and is waiting for the investigation to be completed.

She hopes the individuals who operated the facility will be held accountable along with the workers.

"I don't wish them any ill, I would just like to see justice done for my son," she said.

The facility issued a statement shortly after the boy's death saying it was the result of a "medical condition." The group home is operated by Aspen Education Group, based in Cerritos, Calif. It is a division of the CRC Health Group, which runs boarding schools, outdoor education programs and weight-loss camps.

Ironically, the charges came one day after the Government Accountability Office in Washington, D.C., found thousands of abuse allegations at camps and other private treatment facilities around the country.

Blum hopes the national attention will result in stricter standards and more accountability across the board.

Brendan was placed in the facility following treatment at a California hospital. Blum said she researched Youth Care Inc. extensively before sending her son there.

"This is double-edged sword for me," she said. "I am not a deadbeat mom."

http://teenadvocatesusa.homestead.com/BrendanBlum.html

RIP  :'(
Brendan James Blum
August 7, 1992 – June 28, 2007

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:54:37 AM »
Great (NOT) to see Who back in action presenting his questionable research methodologies-(same tactics used by programs when they present their "success rates" to parents) This is so much more productive than the vicious trolling of parents and survivors Who was up to in the past several weeks under multiple anon personas.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 12:00:08 PM »
Quote from: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!"
Mommy, PLEASE make it stop!!!  No!  Not your fucking tables again!!!!  Please, anything but that.

You are such a tool.  You keep posting this shit like it means something.  You're cherry picked "stats" and manipulation of facts (a lot of these places are "accredited" by agencies that don't really do anything but collect dues) are about as useless as you are.

Who cares who they are accredited by.  People cry all over this forum about programs not being licensed.  I supplied a list of schools which are licensed and like clockwork we get a list of kids who died in them.  So we can can conclude that licensing doesnt really impact people views of programs?  does licensing save lives? Or can we supply lists of kids who died in the public school system?  Boy scout camping trips?  Choir practice? Football practice? What is the point?  
Do we want people to believe if they send their kid to a TBS they will die?  or show them the truth that they are safer in a TBS or wilderness program (which I have done).
If I posted a name of a kid that died in Harvard or MIT would we expect all the parents to go "Oh My" I dont want my kid going there!!  Parents know kids die everywhere.  The challenge is to keep your child as safe as possible.

Finally, If you believe they are cherry picked then supply me with a name that I missed.  I will add it on for you.  All my information came from the same websites that yours did.  The numbers also coincide with the NCES.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 12:12:25 PM »
Damn! TheWho is even more cold blooded than I thought. I just feel sorry for him, what a misguided & disturbed individual. But more than I feel sorry him.. I feel sorry for his daughter.. if she even exists. What if your parent came on a web forum (everyday for years) for survivors of institutional abuse and desperately created lists of programs he claims are safe, but actually are guilty (proven in court) of abuse & murder of children?  

If I found out my dad was acting this way- this is how I would react ------>  ::puke::

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Even worst some people are falling hook, line, and sinker for the Who's crap.

Keep posting the articles though.. That is probably the best rebuttal ever.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 12:54:31 PM »
Who cares who they are accredited by. People cry all over this forum about programs not being licensed. I supplied a list of schools which are licensed and like clockwork we get a list of kids who died in them. So we can can conclude that licensing doesnt really impact people views of programs? does licensing save lives? Or can we supply lists of kids who died in the public school system? Boy scout camping trips? Choir practice? Football practice? What is the point?

This is your argument?  Seriously, you must have forgotten your coffee this morning or something.

Licensing doesn't necessarily prevent deaths, but it sure as hell makes it more likely that someone will be held accountable for those deaths, and most importantly taken out of the system so they can never be put in the position of being able to do it again.

The troubled teen industry lives on the belief that teenagers are manipulators and liars, and when you look at the history of deaths that's the common thread.  They could have all been prevented except that the youth was thought to be manipulating.  Sure kids die in boy scout camping trips (getting caught in a flood, poisonous snake bites, forest fires),  sure kids die in football camp (dehydration, heat stroke).  But those kids don't die because their football coach or scout leader dismisses the youth's complaints of having a life-threatening condition because they think the kid is manipulating them.

You are comparing apples to oranges here.  We have real deaths based on a pattern reported by the GAO.  Now unless you can show examples of a program that was licensed, that was allowed to be manipulated and that the manipulation directly resulted in death, you have no argument.  Kids die, the program blames the kid or the kid's family, and the staff stay in place until the next incident occurs.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 01:16:17 PM »
Awww c'mon man.

The who was on his 8th pot of French roasted kool aid by 8am this morning.

He's got it right.

There's nothing wrong with a little program collateral damage.

You gots to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

I mean look at all those well healed, pearly white smiling program parents during the parent seminars! That's all the science you need.

It's just like White house 'side puss" (aka intern-tail). The public doesn't need to know about any unethical activities! It's none of their business, it's not relevant to the big picture and it pales in comparison to the "greater good' being done.