Author Topic: VisionQuest Clarification Needed  (Read 7293 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
VisionQuest Clarification Needed
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »
I'm creating a list of kids that have died in wilderness programs since the treatment model emerged in the 1970s. From things that I have read on the Internet, there have been several deaths at Vision Quest. However, some of the details about Vision Quest are confusing. Could someone please answer the following questions for me:

• Was VisionQuest a single program over the year that the reported deaths occurred, or was it a collection of different programs under the same name?
• Was this (or were these) residential treatment centers, boarding schools, or were they 24-7 outdoor wilderness programs?

Any answers that you could provide would be very much appreciated. I can be contacted by e-mail at [email protected].

24-Nov   Eric S. Schibley   17
24-Nov   Bernard Reefer   
24-Nov   Robert Zimmerman   
24-Nov   Charles Lucas   
24-Nov   James Lamb
24-Nov   Robert D. Erwin   15
24-Nov   Lyle Foodroy   

11-Sep   Tammy Edmiston   
16-Sep   Leon Anger
April   Mario Cano   16   
June   Danny Lewis   16

John Vincent Garrison   18

16-Dec   Carlos Ruiz   13

28-Jun   Dawnne Takeuchi   18
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: VisionQuest Clarification Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:28:30 AM »
It was a ship with teens in foreign unknown waters and they got caught by a storm. All hands lost.

The program was called Seaquest back in those days. Later it became OceanQuest but all the sea-based programs shut down some years ago, when the ships needed too much repear.

According to survivors those programs were rather good. There wasn't much time for LGAT's and hour long therapy when the ship has to get going. It is about learning how to work with other people or down. I think that if you are a kid with low self-confidence, then learning that other people can work with you can change that.

In Denmark we have two programs like this still functioning Fulton and Ocean Life. While Ocean Side is somewhat controversial because they - according to the Spanish authorities - marooned a child, Fulton is rather open and if you want to get inside the program, you just call them and hire them for a group of people.

Many ordinary school-classes have been onboard this ship for shorter trips with the at-risk teens as crew. It shows that at-risk teens can be integrated with normal people. You can even entrust them your life. There hasn't been any incidents since they kicked the former director out some 20 years ago because he acknownledged to have hit a child.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 07:36:12 PM »
It was a ship with teens in foreign unknown waters and they got caught by a storm. All hands lost.

Wait, WHAT? When the fuck was this?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:01:31 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"

Wait, WHAT? When the fuck was this?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »
Quote from: "Shawn"
I'm creating a list of kids that have died in wilderness programs since the treatment model emerged in the 1970s. From things that I have read on the Internet, there have been several deaths at Vision Quest. However, some of the details about Vision Quest are confusing. Could someone please answer the following questions for me:

• Was VisionQuest a single program over the year that the reported deaths occurred, or was it a collection of different programs under the same name?
• Was this (or were these) residential treatment centers, boarding schools, or were they 24-7 outdoor wilderness programs?

Any answers that you could provide would be very much appreciated. I can be contacted by e-mail at http://www.vq.com/

And yeah, there are many "vision quest" type programs out there (separate and different from the aforementioned), and a few of them even have "vision quest" in their names. I suppose you could say it was a sub-species of wilderness program!
-------------- • -------------- • --------------