Author Topic: shortridge academy  (Read 25406 times)

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
Re: shortridge academy
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 03:03:23 PM »
"I cannot imagine a child with any reasonable level of intelligence seeing their parents' decision as anything other than an act of selfishness. But I would love to hear feedback from the children who have been sent to such places."

I see it for what it is.

CEDU intentionally sold us a polished turd. They intentionally took advantage of us for 2 reasons. Profit and the ego boost it gave them.

Why did my parents buy it? They were desperate and incompetent parents scrambling to address a monumental problem with only seconds left on the clock.

Why did I buy it? My other option was Provo (a lockdown facility). I had no criminal record whatsoever so Provo obviously scared the shit out of a 16 year old.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 03:11:34 PM »
Quote from: "TheWho"
There was a study done a decade or so ago where they talked to families who needed to place their children in the children’s ward at Children’s hospital in Boston (I’ll probably get hammered here because I don’t have a link). The children were there for a variety of reasons from cancer to liver failure to thyroid disease, but the one thing they had in common is they didn’t want to be there. Did the families feel guilty? Yes, Responsible? Of course. There were people who asked the parents how they slept at night having their children in the hospital and questioning whether it was the right decision. Others questioned why they decided to have kids knowing they had a history of cancer in their family and subjecting their own kids to suffering and death.

OMG. "Dysfunctional" behavior is hardly the same thing as a dysfunctional liver. The analogy is inapplicable.

And no link because... there never was such a study. Who could have been so callous and stupid? What was the point? To see if parents agonize over the circumstances of their kids' illness, and thereby make those parents agonize even more? Anyway, Children's Hospital/Boston would never have allowed it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »
A physically ill child belongs in a hospital, where there are real cures based on scientific research.

Therapeutic boarding schools have not been shown to have any efficacy.

Unlike therapeutic boarding schools, a hospital would never ban a parent from visiting.

The Who, you are clueless and quite self-righteous!!!

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 04:30:16 PM »
OMG. "Dysfunctional" behavior is hardly the same thing as a dysfunctional liver. The analogy is inapplicable.

You must be thinking of a different post.  I never mentioned dysfunctional behavior.  

And no link because... there never was such a study. Who could have been so callous and stupid? What was the point? To see if parents agonize over the circumstances of their kids' illness, and thereby make those parents agonize even more? Anyway, Children's Hospital/Boston would never have allowed it.

I knew I would get hammered making a bases without a link, but there was a study, and yes almost all the kids did not want to be in the hospital.  The vast majority of them would rather be home with their families.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 12:50:24 AM »
There was a study done a decade or so ago where they talked to families who needed to place their children in the children’s ward at Children’s hospital in Boston (I’ll probably get hammered here because I don’t have a link). The children were there for a variety of reasons from cancer to liver failure to thyroid disease...

Ummm... "the children's ward" in a CHILDREN'S hospital? I am guessing that this hospital was not named after a generous benefactor with the surname of "Children," but is, in fact, dedicated to the health and medical concerns of children more or less exclusively. Why would there be a special ward for them within such a place?

In fact, if you google "Children's Hospital Boston," you get THIS place. Quoting from their "About us" page:
Child Patient Care

Children's Hospital Boston is a 397-bed comprehensive center for pediatric health care. As one of the largest pediatric medical centers in the United States, Children's offers a complete range of health care services for children from birth through 21 years of age. (Our Advanced Fetal Care Center can begin interventions at 15 weeks gestation, and in some situations, we treat adults.)

Children's records approximately 22,600 inpatient admissions each year, and our 204 specialized clinical programs care for more than 527,500 patients annually. Additionally, the hospital performs 23,000 surgical procedures and 170,000 radiological examinations every year...

<snip snip>

Recognition

Children's Hospital Boston has been listed as the top pediatric hospital in the country for heart and heart surgery, according to U.S.News & World Report's "America's Best Children's Hospitals" issue, dated June 9. It was also named the nation's top hospital for care of digestive disorders, while receiving second place honors in cancer care and neurology and neurosurgery.

Since the magazine began ranking hospitals 19 years ago, Children's has always been ranked as one of the top two pediatric hospitals in the country. This year, Children's is ranked second nationally and remains the number one pediatric hospital in New England...

Is this the hospital you were referring to?

I imagine that if you really did have a daughter, and and really did reside in the Boston metropolitan area, you would have had occasion during the 18 years of her "childhood" to visit this place at least a few times.

In fact, according to their "Locations" page, there are 3-4 satellite Children's Hospitals, one of which is in Waltham, Massachusetts, which would appear - according to their map - to be the town directly north of Newton, where you claim to currently reside.

One would think you knew a bit more about the place than to describe a study done of "the children's ward" in one of the largest and most prestigious children's hospitals in the country, let alone one located a few miles from your doorstep.

Speaking of that "study" (which sounds suspiciously like it was commissioned by some fundamentalist religious sect opposed to all medical procedures), with all due respect, I must concur with Little Red Roaster and concernedone in failing to see the relevance of its mention in a discussion about therapeutic boarding schools.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 01:18:08 AM »
Wow, sorry Ursus to put you thru all that research.  Substitute "Inpatient ward" for "Childrens ward"... my bad.

It is a good hospital along with Tufts floating hospital for Children.  We do have our share of religions here and the world head quarters for the Christian Scientists which goes against the grain of Bostons prestigious medical community.  But the mix keeps it interesting.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »
There was a study done a decade or so ago where they talked to families who needed to place their children in the children’s ward at Children’s hospital in Boston (I’ll probably get hammered here because I don’t have a link). The children were there for a variety of reasons from cancer to liver failure to thyroid disease, but the one thing they had in common is they didn’t want to be there. Did the families feel guilty? Yes, Responsible? Of course. There were people who asked the parents how they slept at night having their children in the hospital and questioning whether it was the right decision. Others questioned why they decided to have kids knowing they had a history of cancer in their family and subjecting their own kids to suffering and death.

Substitute "Inpatient ward" for "Childrens ward"... my bad.

First "children's ward," then "Inpatient ward"... at "one of the largest pediatric medical centers in the United States" that "records approximately 22,600 inpatient admissions each year." I don't think so. There is no such "ward." I don't think they even call them "wards" at places like this anymore.

I don't think you even have a daughter, TheWho. You don't sound like someone who has been intimately involved with the rearing of any child.

Where is this "study?" Which journal? Or is this another of your "it seems rational to me, therefore it must be true" fantasies?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »
Quote from: "No such study"

Substitute "Inpatient ward" for "Childrens ward"... my bad.

First "children's ward," then "Inpatient ward"... at "one of the largest pediatric medical centers in the United States" that "records approximately 22,600 inpatient admissions each year." I don't think so. There is no such "ward." I don't think they even call them "wards" at places like this anymore.

I don't think you even have a daughter, TheWho. You don't sound like someone who has been intimately involved with the rearing of any child.

Where is this "study?" Which journal? Or is this another of your "it seems rational to me, therefore it must be true" fantasies?

Oh no maybe I am not even real... let me check... the picture of my daughter and me is starting to fade,  I think you are right!!  Ha,Ha,Ha

So now you are diagnosing people over the internet without a degree or license no less... interesting.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 05:04:06 PM »
So now you are diagnosing people over the internet without a degree or license no less... interesting.

This is precisely what programs do.  ::poke::

It's statements like these, when it becomes obvious you are just a sock puppet to keep people posting. This post is too funny for a truly pro-program individual to make. Keep up the good work, sock puppet.  ::deadhorse::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 06:04:32 PM »
i currently attend shortridge academy. it's very hard to describe to anyone who has not been a part of it. I have been there for 15 months now. my parents are equally held responsible for the things that have happened in my life. yes, we the students are challenged more on a daily basis but the staff makes a point of bringing awareness to the parents as well. i admit, at first I was freaked out and really disliked the school but after about 3 months, a began building on some amazing friendships and figuring some of my shit out. i graduate 6 months earlier than most of my peers from home this december and my parents and I actually get along for the first time in 5 years. i suggest you all take a step back and stop judging and assuming things, it gets you no where. its not some freaky cult or some jail that kids are sent away to and abused. its quite the opposite. we go surfing twice a week, snowboarding in the winter, off campus trips every weekend etc. yes there are guidelines and boundaries but then again that's what most of us need at this point because we pretty much sucked at following boundaries at home.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 07:58:45 PM »
Hey JC,

Your feedback is excellent!!

Was there any type of physical abuse at Shortridge?

Also, why now do you have a better relationship with your parents?

I am concerned about a kid named Josh. Is he OK?

Thanks,

Worried

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 09:36:55 PM »
Quote from: "jc123"
i currently attend shortridge academy.

Wait.  did I hear that correctly.  You're currently attending a program and they ... let you on fornits.com!?!?!  Haven't you heard yet.  This is a haven of sick in the head negative folks and hopeless druggies!  (being facetious here).  Well.  If your program is actually letting you on this site (given you are who you say you are), it's the first instance I've ever seen of it happening.  It's a good step towards openness, if a program is, indeed, allowing unrestricted communication with the "outside world" (including to opinions the program might not particularly agree with).

@worriedone: asking about abuse almost always yields a negative response as those who are being abused rarely see it as such until later reflection (eg: child sexual abuse, cult thought reform, etc...).  I might suggest a better avenue might be to ask more specific questions.

@jc:  Out of curiosity, since I'm fascinated that a program would allow you on this site, would you mind answering a few questions I have?

1. are you free to leave any time you want, or are you kept there against your will?
2. are you pressured to "confess" to things, rewarded for doing so, or feel it is necessary to advance in the program?
3. are requirements for advancement in the program based on objective criteria (as in, finishing courses), by the subjective evaluation of the staff, or a combination of both?
4. you know of any kids who really don't belong there... of do you feel they are just in denial?  How do you know, objectively?
5. in the group therapy practiced, are people often called out/confronted in front of their peers?  Would it be accurate to say that people are encouraged to tell the "harsh truth" of how they see things?
6. are there bans on communication, such as being put on "bans" where you can't speak/interact with another person / group of people?
7. does your program have overnight seminars/workshops you aren't supposed to talk about?

Hell...  If you feel like i've asked too much, answer it as you feel.  I'm not the best interviewer in the world compared to some others around here who are more ... gentle with the process.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 11:10:05 PM »
3. are requirements for advancement in the program based on objective criteria (as in, finishing courses), by the subjective evaluation of the staff, or a combination of both?

By subjective I believe Psy means do the staff permit you to advance through the program based upon their emotional evalution of your progress. See below:

Staffer A: So who here thinks Abba should get a stage?
Staffer B: Well I think Abba is faking it. Its a feeling i have about him.
Staffer A: yep.. denied.

Mind you that's simplistic and in my experience there is a great deal more to it than that, but I have seen it go down that way on occasion.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 11:57:15 PM »
Please give me information about shortridge academy in NH.  It seems impossible to get a review....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 01:12:27 PM »
No one seems to be able to comment on Shortridge.  I wonder what goes on there.