Author Topic: Program Parents: Types and Psyches  (Read 2129 times)

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
Program Parents: Types and Psyches
« on: August 11, 2008, 11:58:36 AM »
This topic (below) was introduced on another thread by DGSe, and I know this is something I still do not fully understand.

Put another way (from DSD, modified): What is the psychology of the parents that make programs possible?

Comments?

Auntie Em

Quote from DGSe/ohhellheah:
DIFFERENT TYPES OF PROGRAM PARENTS:

TRICKED-- parents whose kids go to a program voluntarily. Entire family involved thinks they are going to some treatment center/school. When their kids say they are being mistreated they respond responsibly. They notice and respond to obvious warning signs

ex: "erica's mom"

INADEQUATE-- parent is mentally ill, or incompetent.
ex: lulu Corter's mom

ABANDONER-- parent wants to rid themselves of burden. They are often Adoptive or steparents

ABUSE/CONTROLLER-- Parents want kid to be punished//suffer be humbled. They want control of their kid in a ver unhealthy way

ex: paul richard's parents

CULT member-- these parents start off as any of the hitherto mentioned type, and get sucked in/brainwashed. They live their lives for the cult. They donate huge amounts of money and time to the cult. They are not simply "brainwashed" in the sense they are mis led or tricked. They live on campus, spend a lot of time in meetings.
ex Ginger's parents
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Program Parents: Types and Psyches
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:20:53 PM »
auntie em check your pm box.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 06:04:53 PM »
In my opinion, the predominant type of program parent is

scared

scared for their kid, scared of their kid, lots of different types of scared.

the industry capitalizes on this, and will a lot of times, manufacture it. If you are a slightly concerned parent, after you talk to an edcon or admissions, uninformed, chances are you will be truly scared afterwards, and if you already are scared, you will be terrified.

There is nothing more vulnerable than a scared parent. There is no bigger cash cow. The fact that this industry, plus bullshit like Dr. Phil and Oprah, prey upon this most primal and basic of fears, and on parents' ignorance, is downright disgusting.

The other kind, and the kind in the minority, thank god, is the parent that doesn't care and just wants their kid out of their life. Before programs, these people sent their kids to private boarding schools, or military school, or just plain disowned them. Anything to keep them away until they are 18. They are almost always extremely wealthy, more than just upper middle class, because tuition for the upper middle class parents is still quite a burden, and that kind of money wouldn't  be spent if there wasn't at least some degree of concern. (A parent doesn't take out a second mortgage on their house just because they don't give a shit) But the filthy rich, well, they can just throw money at the "problem" to make it go away.

I had a kid in my peer group who's father was like this. (I think his mother was dead.) He really didn't give a crap about his son, was disgustingly wealthy (he used to own a goddamn lion) and the kid fucking idolized him. When his dad first came up for a parent visit, he showed up hours late, because he was too busy fucking some waitress at the hotel.

That's not to say that all parents who are dripping with money are like this, but chances are, if they *are* like this, they have plenty of money to spare.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 09:24:56 PM »
I'd imagine non chalantly bragging about one's pet lion would get any Kootenay waitress in bed....

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »
Quote from: "dishdutyfugitive"
I'd imagine non chalantly bragging about one's pet lion would get any Kootenay waitress in bed....

Please, no puns about feeding a girl a lion.

oh wait.. oops. I did it already.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 09:14:10 AM »
If I had a pet Giraffe I'd be complete.

I'd minaturize him, clone him and name him twiggy.

I'd breed him until I achieved albinism.

Then I'd start my own vegas show called sigfried & Mel. The show  would consist of sigfried and the albino giraffe facilitating a condensed 3 hours Dreams propheet at the Bellagio.

Seriously, this thread reminds me. Compilng the stories we heard about our peer's parents at CEDU would make for one hell of a reader.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 09:22:43 AM »
it seems to me a bad idea to try and categorize the people who go down this road with their kids. There are a variety of wider social factors that support such an industry. The rise of zero tolerance in schools, legally enforced youth cerfews, the drug war and the criminalization of sexuality make it hard for even good kids to stay on the right side of the criminal and educational system, so for a parent with a kid who is in any way rebellious or not willing to fit into a perfect square it must be terrifying. Couple this with a lack of practical, inexpensive and humane, helpful services in many areas for those whose children genuinely have some kind of disability, metal health probelm or substance abuse issues and it seems for some like the closest thing to a legitimate choice they have.
One of the many problems with programs is the way they categorize kids as either junkies, whores, psychos or bullshitters. This is why it seems equally unhelpful to categorize ALL parents as brainwashed cult freaks, assholes or saints who knew no better. Undoubtedly these parents do exist and use this system in some cases but people and families are complex and flawed. So is society. Nobody fits into a perfect description. Perhaps the more helpful question would be what different angles do programs use to market themselves? And what is so atractive to people about each angle? Here are some i can think of;
tough love (for the assholes. Why else would anyone choose Thayer?)
Godly for those who think Jesus is the answer
new age and hippy
an alternative to jail, (wwasp put out fliers at juvie courts sometimes)
hospital like and clinical
Farm like and remote
Just like a normal boarding school only crazy (hidden lake, Carlbrook nything with the word "academy" in the title)

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 09:49:55 AM »
I think the point is how clever Mel was in 'pitching' and therefore growing the program (and industry) back in the 80's.

Think about it. You're a parent and you don't know how to handle your surly teen. An edcon shows you the CEDU brochure which is the answer to all your problems. But the tuition is on par with Harvard tuition. The only thing that would posses you to spend that kind of money is a desperation and vulnerability. The parent had to overlook that the place had no track record. No credentials. No professional staff.

In evaluating the program, the parent temporarily suspended all sensibility and reason to quell their emotional pangs regarding their child's development.

This begets the next question. Can the program maintain this 'promise'.

Well, the proof is in the numbers. Look how few kids got pulled because their parent's eventually realized the place was a crock of shit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 09:57:17 AM »
In Denmark no kid under 15 can appear in a court. It is up to the social services to intervene.

I a kid under 15 commits a crime (Our youngest murder was 11. Last year a 14 year old killed a man) they often choose between:

* Family therapy in the home
* Family therapy in a reduced setting (The whole family have to live in a 24/7 supervised facility.)
* Kid in the fostercare system placed at foster care parents
* Kid in the fostercare system in a reduced setting
* Kid sent to continuation school (They are not lockdowns and no level system are allowed. Not even chores are allowed as punishment.
* Kid enrolled a sport club or other kid of activity to keep the time going.

But as we all know reduced setting aka residential treatment is costly because we stronly believe that each individual are special. We have no programs where the kids has to that and that to be sent home.

To a certain point our system works, but sometime we can not find the ideal solution in time.

Last november a 15 year old kid drunk and on drugs attacked a middle aged man for no reason. He was so full of anger that the police thought that he had used some kind of weapon in the killing. He had jumped on the head of his victim until it smashed. When he was finished he dragged the body into the street light in order to record it on his phone and sent it to whoever who cared.

He got 4 years in a juvenile facility and due to his time in costody he could be out on the street next year. (link)

Here is the case: This kids was ill. His mother was an addict. Everybody right from nursery to school and social workers all reported that this kid was ill. At age 4 and 5 he started to attack other kids. But because he was under 15 even similar attacks without deadly result meant that he was committed to a hospital. None care because all stated that they would give him a lesson when he was old enough to appear before a judge. A man died due to that strategy.

So now our parliament are seeking to remove the juvenile discount regardless of the fact that your country are starting to acknowledge the fact that kids are not adults. Their brains are not fully developed.

We are following in our footstep and will lock kids up for many years without dealing with the root of their problems before the first crime is committed.

While I dont believe in zero tolerance and also respect for an individual to live like he or she chooses, I demand some responsability. I do believe that "Teen courts" or "Peer courts" are the answer. Convict youth to:

1) State an apology to parents / victims.
2) Conduct community service based of the severity of the crime
3) Serve a jury member so they can learn what it is all about.

Regarding addiction I believe in asking them during trial whether they think that it could be a problem if they drink or use drugs. If they do allow them to use time of the punishment on treatment. If they dont, they just have to reach the bottom and appear before the court again and receive a further punishment if the addiction result in more crimes. At some point most people get it.

I also believe in starting using the court system at an earlier age. In my country more than 90 % of all children attend kindergarten, public or private school combined with after care until the age of about 12. Up til that age adults are near them at all time. After form 3 they have to find out to join clubs on their own and move around in our society. Thats when "Peer courts" should come into the picture.

We have a huge task ahead of us in Denmark, so we dont commit failures others have made. Thats why Fornits Wiki is so important so we record failures. Life is all about learning by failure.

Thats my 2 cent.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:14:23 AM »
my 2 cents wrote:
Perhaps the more helpful question would be what different angles do programs use to market themselves? And what is so atractive to people about each angle?

I would agree this is a more fitting question, thank you. I am curious about strategies to undermine the way the programs market to parents.

Auntie Em
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 10:22:03 AM »
Quote from: "AuntieEm2"
my 2 cents wrote:
Perhaps the more helpful question would be what different angles do programs use to market themselves? And what is so atractive to people about each angle?

I would agree this is a more fitting question, thank you. I am curious about strategies to undermine the way the programs market to parents.

Auntie Em

That was kinda my thing, too. These places prey upon fear, or manufacture it.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »
Agreed. The Fearful Parent Industry. Main pressure point, as I understand it, is summed up with deadinsaneondrugsorinjail--oui?

Another factor I have looked at some is what do they fear about the programs prior to placement. If NATSAP and other sites are an indicator, parents fear physical separation from the child and breakdown of family relationships, among others.

Good to see you here, Castle.

Auntie Em

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 02:57:05 AM »
Here is my question:

Do the different types of programmie parents react the same when you shoot them with a high caliber pistol?

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 03:09:18 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
Here is my question:

Do the different types of programmie parents react the same when you shoot them with a high caliber pistol?

My guess would be yes.

Unless they are robot ninja pirates.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 04:00:51 AM »
Them being robot ninja pirates might actually improve their anemic parenting skills. But hey.. whadda I know eh? nutin.