Author Topic: to the parents of HLA students or those considering HLA  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
to the parents of HLA students or those considering HLA
« on: January 05, 2007, 12:17:59 AM »
This issue is obviously more than a two-sided coin.
I have no personal vested interest other than empathy and concern, and as about as objective as a former student can be.

Did I gain anything from my year at HLA?

Absolutley. What didn't kill me made me stronger.
However I survived by flying under the radar.
I watched my friends' spirits broken all too frequently, in one case my friend was a victim of rape and incest from a young age. She was forced to re-live these experiences in front of our peer group at a time when we were all strangers to her, and I will never forget the way that our counselors jeered her, asking "how dirty she felt" and "wasn't she a whore" "didn't she bring it on herself?".
I understand that they didn't mean their remarks and said them in an attempt to break her down so they could "rebuild her", but I was 14 at the time. I was traumatized by having to witness her being broken and I can NOT imagine how she must have felt. But a part of her died,and not the "opposistionally defiant" part. She then began acting out sexually with fellow sudents. I feel like I watched the last surviving innocence she had be smothered before me and it truly haunts me to this day.

Success at HLA is dependent on sooo many variables. The reason for being there and its valididty ( I ran away from a dangerous homelife... for three days.) and the personal relationship the student has with his or her counselors are only 2 such factors.

My parents sent me there, as so many other parents have alleged, "to save my life."  I was a well behaved student, but I wasn't pulled for a year of good ( relatively) behavior. My parents pulled me because they accidently were alerted to the fact that they were being manipulated and conned after one very high-up staff member referred to HLA as a source of punishment for kids, not therapy or rehabilitation. I'm sure they would be more than willing to talk to any parents. I'm not sure whether they would recommend HLA or not. You'll most likely hear that it was wrong for me, but maybe helpful for some.

I left HLA about 7 years ago, and it is STILL a huge source of tension and anger in my home, but for reasons that you might not be able to forsee.
My education has suffered.
I was scouted by Harvard after starting university at 16, but my parents spent my entire college savings on HLA, and even with help, Ivy Leauge isn't exactly cheap.
My father resents me for being what I feel he sees me as... a bad investment.
I resent him for wasting my college fund to finance the most traumatic year of my life.
He resents me because I developed post-traumatic stress disorders, panic disorder with agorophopia, generalized anxiety disorder, and recurrent major depressive episodes and my treatment just costs him more money.
And, for the record, all of the above disorders have been diagnosed by multiple psychiatrists, and ALL of them attribute them to my experiences with HLA. I never had a panic attack before HLA, and if you've ever had one then you KNOW  they're no joke.

I guess my point here is that sending or keeping your child at HLA or any other facility is a decision that may have positive and probably equally negative consequences for your family.
DO NOT TRUST EDUCATIONAL CONSULTANTS, PLEASE.
Talk to as many child psychologists as you can. They won't recommend a program unless your child really needs one.
As bad as it might seem, "oppostitional defiance disorder" doesn't exist. It is in no DSM ever published and its definition is a vague general description of typical teenage rebellion.
Don't punish your kids for their hormones.

Once you've sent your child "away" do not rely on the program's staff for updates on his or her progress. You have to do a lot of detective work and constantly re-evaluate the nessecity of keeping your child in a program, no matter how structured it sounds, no matter how important graduation from the program is touted as being.

If you're not prepared to weigh your child's descriptions of HLA at least equally as you would trust the description given to you by the staff, then you aren't responsible enough to ensure your child's safety while in HLA's care.

And finally, please learn from my family's mistakes. If you want to ensure a successful future for your teen you can't spend your savings for their college education. Consult 20 random psychologists and psychiatrists before sending your child to HLA, and perhaps most importantly, allow your child to see at least one non-program associated psychologist on EVERY visit, no matter what, and take their opinion on HLA with the upmost seriousness.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:48:46 AM »
From MySpace:

Posted: February 2, 2007  7:28 AM I would have been better off not going to Hla, all i did was learn how to do drugs for when i got out. I think I may still hold the record for going 17 months before getting put on a table, my only restriction. I was a corrupt dormhead for about a year, I knew about everything and never narced out any of my friends. I used to narc on the crazy kids for shit they were already on restriction for just to fill up a couple of pages of fallout. Like for example ...."mark orr has bodies under his bed" or "diaz is dirty"

http://tinyurl.com/32s276

Offline FunkyChild

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 11:57:30 AM »
i too never had a nervous breakdown until hla, there was a period where i barely ate, spoke, and participated socially with other students. basically i just stared into space, sulked my way into class. it took the encouraging words of a teacher to "snap me out of it". i couldn't talk to my mom about the root of this depression, because the staff would tell me to quit manipulating, which made it even worse. i then told my family in a letter that if the realaionship between us was going to be dictated with no allowance of real conversation, then i had nothing to say."how's school?" -fine. "how are your friends?" -fine. i wouldn't refuse the calls, cause kids got on restrictions for that. glad that's over now!
ithout art, the crudeness of the world\'s realities would make everyday life unbearable

Offline along comes mary

• View Profile
Re: to the parents of HLA students or those considering HLA
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »
I wrote the original post quite a while ago, but the whole reason I even joined Fornits was to get real information to frantic parents who are considering unleashing HLA on their child as an act of desperation. I hoped that by now that would no longer be necessary.

Unfortunately, it looks like there are STILL parents unknowingly shoveling sons and daughters into HLA:

an insidious machine fueled by raping the young of their childhood while emptying the bank accounts of their families.

And what is the product forged of all this sacrifice?  

I really don't know. But I'm sure as hell not.

In any case.. bump, I guess.
And then along comes Mary
And does she want to set them free, and let them see reality
From where she got her name
And will they struggle much, when told that such a tender touch of hers
Will make them not the same

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 07:54:26 AM »
Quote from: "along comes mary"
I wrote the original post quite a while ago, but the whole reason I even joined Fornits was to get real information to frantic parents who are considering unleashing HLA on their child as an act of desperation. I hoped that by now that would no longer be necessary.

Unfortunately, it looks like there are STILL parents unknowingly shoveling sons and daughters into HLA:

an insidious machine fueled by raping the young of their childhood while emptying the bank accounts of their families.

And what is the product forged of all this sacrifice?  

I really don't know. But I'm sure as hell not.

In any case.. bump, I guess.

I suggest starting a website.  If you really want to reach parents, making your information accessable high on a google search is what you want to do.   I can help if you need advice or assitance on how to do it.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline along comes mary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 06:50:57 AM »
I suggest starting a website.  If you really want to reach parents, making your information accessable high on a google search is what you want to do.   I can help if you need advice or assitance on how to do it.

Is there no such site in existence?!!?
With all the students and parents who feel so strongly, I can't imagine that no one has tried to do something like that before. And if they haven't, why the hell not?  
I'm really not about brooding or dwelling on HLA, but I still feel like it's my obligation to at least give parents checking the place out the information they need, but aren't going to get from any school review sites. I hate that the staff there used my parents' love and concern for me to convince them HLA was my "only hope," and I'm sure we weren't the only ones they pulled that with.

My mom totally regrets sending me there, and has often said she wished that there had been more information out there so she might have thought twice. I'd love to be the one to get that info readily available to parents, but I no clue how do that. I'm pretty busy.. how much time kind of thing does that take to create and manage?

I don't know what I'll be able to do, but I would like some more information.
Thanks, Psy. I appreciate it.
And then along comes Mary
And does she want to set them free, and let them see reality
From where she got her name
And will they struggle much, when told that such a tender touch of hers
Will make them not the same