Author Topic: Switch back to PHPBB3  (Read 20577 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Re: Switch back to PHPBB3
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 06:17:42 PM »
Well, there's no easy setting that I can change to make that happen. I'd have to hack the code, and that always makes Psy very, very nervous. Can you just right click when you want something to open in a new tab?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 06:28:37 PM »
Quote from: "Antigen"
Well, there's no easy setting that I can change to make that happen. I'd have to hack the code, and that always makes Psy very, very nervous. Can you just right click when you want something to open in a new tab?
Or control+click (Cmd+click on a mac)
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2008, 03:26:45 AM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Re. Editing one's own posts: there's a short period of time when one can do it, but then that ability disappears...forever. Any chance that can be altered?

i think its better w/o being able to edit after a short time. There have been issues with mods outing people and than deleting the evidence, and Who posting self-incriminating info, etc.

This way keeps people honest, and leaves an valable account of what's been written. not just about petty stuff like the above. but important things too...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2008, 04:23:47 PM »
Quote from: "fgd"
Re. Editing one's own posts: there's a short period of time when one can do it, but then that ability disappears...forever. Any chance that can be altered?

i think its better w/o being able to edit after a short time. There have been issues with mods outing people and than deleting the evidence, and Who posting self-incriminating info, etc.

This way keeps people honest, and leaves an valable account of what's been written. not just about petty stuff like the above. but important things too...

My primary reason for asking about this lies in the inevitable nightmare of incompatible BB Codes that have not translated well through all the recent switches of forum formats. Additionally, there are some keystrokes that never make the switch, regardless.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 06:02:10 PM »
Internal fornits links with the format of "fornits.com/wwf" still do not work...

:(

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2008, 11:21:21 PM »
Button on the Main Index labeled "New Posts" should really be labeled "Active Topics." It IS, after all, active topics that are displayed on the summoned page (see page title at the top).

There's a small-font mini menu above the main buttoned format (Main Index), which includes "view new topics" and "view active topics." When you select "view active topics," you get the same as above (3-4 pages worth). When you select "view new topics," you get a much smaller subset.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
new and acive
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2008, 11:34:05 PM »
Isn't it really both (either / or), though?
(For there to be activity, there must be new posts, and vice versa.)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2008, 11:37:21 PM »
I'm just being my usual overly anal and persnickety self; forgive me. lol.

The page you get, when you click "New Posts" (buttoned menu, main part), is labeled/titled "View active topics."

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »

The page you get, when you click "New Posts" (buttoned menu, main part), is labeled/titled "View active topics."

Yeah... but "view active topics" more accurately reflects what most people would call the "new posts".  Issue being that the actual "new posts" link doesn't display threads unless there is a new reply that you haven't viewed.  I tried for a while and missed some stuff I was looking for, so I re-linked "new posts" to "view active topics" thinking that more people would find what they were actually looking for (new posts) there...  but feel free to bookmark whatever you will.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2008, 12:37:32 PM »
Quote from: "psy"

Yeah... but "view active topics" more accurately reflects what most people would call the "new posts".  Issue being that the actual "new posts" link doesn't display threads unless there is a new reply that you haven't viewed.  I tried for a while and missed some stuff I was looking for, so I re-linked "new posts" to "view active topics" thinking that more people would find what they were actually looking for (new posts) there...  but feel free to bookmark whatever you will.

Oh, I agree, totally, that the "View active topics" page is far more useful than the "View new posts" page. My issue has to do with how what you now call "New Posts" is identified on the Main Index (button/forum-containing menu). (See my first post on this a couple posts back).

Technically, that is the the "View active topics" page, not the "View new posts" page. Calling that button "New Posts" potentially confuses identification with "View new posts."

I am just suggesting that that button on the Main Index (the big button, the one that is in the same format as all the other fora on that page) be renamed "Active Topics," to more accurately reflect the identity of the page that one gets redirected to.

It is not really a big deal. Sorry if I've annoyed or confused anyone.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »
can members edit their posts?
is there notification that a post has been altered from its original?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2008, 02:40:23 PM »
Quote from: "JIOO"
can members edit their posts?
is there notification that a post has been altered from its original?

Yes members can edit their posts. Is there a notification if a post has been edited?  Yes.  I believe it's set to 30 mins (meaning any modifications 30 mins after posting leave an "edited at ***" stamp at the bottom of the post).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2008, 09:01:18 AM »
Internal fornits links with the format of "fornits.com/wwf" still do not work...

This link does not work:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... m=9&Sort=D

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2008, 11:46:06 AM »
Quote from: "guest"

This link does not work:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=1990&f=9

There ya go. Click it now

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »
"The Clock" on the forum is creeping forward at a faster pace than Internet time. I noticed this 3-4 days ago, when it was a minute fast. It is now two minutes fast.