Author Topic: Check this out  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
Check this out
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:58:47 PM »
http://addiction-dirkh.blogspot.com/2008/07/ten-drug-myths-exposed.html

Friday, July 25, 2008
Ten Drug Myths Exposed

Drug abuse vs. drug dependence

As the neurobiology of addiction has come into clearer focus over time, our ability to separate fact from fiction in the field of drug dependence has grown rapidly. Beliefs that have been common wisdom for years--that anyone who uses cocaine or heroin inevitably becomes addicted to it, for example--can now be confidently replaced with insights gained from a decade or more of intense research on the biological causes and treatment of addiction.

Dr. Carlton Erickson, professor of Pharmacology/Toxicology and director of the Addiction Science Research and Education Center at the University of Texas, has assembled an intriguing list of such changes in thinking, based on his book, "The Science of Addiction: From Neurobiology to Treatment." The complete list can be found on his "Exploding Drug Myths" page at the University of Texas site.

With his kind permission, I offer a few of these emerging insights. Many of them, Dr. Erickson told me, are understandable only in the context of DSM-IV criteria for drug abuse and drug dependence as listed in "The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders."

The DSM table for drug abuse defines it as "A maladaptive pattern of drug use leading to impairment or distress" including one or more of the following symptoms: recurrent use leading to failure to fulfill major obligations; recurrent use which is physically dangerous; drug-related legal problems; continued use despite social or interpersonal problems.

In contrast, the DSM manual defines drug dependence as three or more of the following symptoms: drug tolerance; withdrawal; drug used more often than planned; inability to control drug use; effort expended to obtain the drug; drug use replaces other activities; drug use continues despite knowledge of a persistent problem.

With these definitions in mind--which correspond roughly to "problem drinker/user" in the former case, and "addict" in the latter--here are some of the myths:

MYTH: Therapeutic pain-killers (such as morphine) produce a high rate of addiction. "Since "addiction" means "dependence," writes Erickson, "the likelihood of becoming dependent on opioid pain-killers is actually quite low.... Most people given these pain-killers will go through withdrawal but will never want or need the drug again."

MYTH: Crack is more addicting than cocaine powder. "There is no pharmacological reason why the form of a drug or the route of administration should change the 'addiction' liability of a drug. In fact, science is beginning to realize that the drug is not the cause of 'addiction' rather, the susceptibility of the person to the drug determines how much 'addiction' (dependence) develops."

MYTH: "Substance abuse" is a scientifically valid term. "The word is a weak, wimpy, confusing, inaccurate, and misleading term when applied to drug problems."

MYTH: Alcoholics can drink socially. "There are a few scientific studies that suggest this. But most of these studies look at 'problem drinkers'....'Abusers' can drink socially (that is, under control), whereas truly dependent individuals cannot."

MYTH: All drugs damage brain cells. "Actually, relatively few have been shown to damage brain cells through a toxic effect. These include alcohol (high doses over a long time), 'inhalants'... methamphetamine and MDMA (shown in animal studies with high doses, but not yet in humans)."

MYTH: Drugs cause "addiction." "An interesting scientific question is: If drugs cause 'addiction,' then why doesn't everyone who uses drugs too much, too often, become dependent (addicted)? Scientists are looking into genetic and other unknown factors that cause some people to become dependent while sparing others of this brain pathology."

MYTH: It is possible to overdose on LSD. "LSD is a major hallucinogen and can cause people to jump from tall buildings (for example) in their hallucinogenic state. However, there is no known lethal dose in humans."

MYTH: The more a person is educated about drugs, the less likely they are to become "addicted". "This idea that chemical dependence is preventable is an old one. Strong indirect evident concerning the brain mechanisms involved in dependence tells us that 'addiction' cannot be prevented. If the above statement were true, physicians, nurses, and pharmacists would have a low rate of chemical dependence. Sadly, these health professionals have an incidence of dependence that is at least as high as the general population."

MYTH: Anyone who drinks too much, too often, is an alcoholic. "If the 'too much, too often' myth were true, then most college students would be alcoholics. In fact, most college students ABUSE alcohol, while only 10-15% show dependence on alcohol at some point in their drinking careers."

MYTH: Everyone "has what it takes" to become "addicted" to drugs. "If 'addiction' (dependence) is a chronic medical disease, then why should it be different from other medical diseases? Everyone doesn't 'have what it takes' to get sickle cell anemia, insulin-dependent diabetes, or AIDS."

Posted by Dirk Hanson at 3:15 PM 
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
Re: Check this out
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:54:43 PM »
I can't believe I just lost this post and had to rewrite it!!
aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhcrapshITFUCK!!

You hit a nerve here DP!
Being aware that I have an 'addictive' personality, there are things
that I will NEVER do again.
I know:  NEVER say NEVER
No question I shouldn't, but I'll NEVER snort anything again.  I've had
meth and did coke for a while, in my youth (all POST SEEDLING use...
WHO does that surprise), and still would, except:  I know I could get 'hooked' on lots of stuff,
so I'll NEVER do it.
I've also been 'fresh baked daily' for ...'forever'.  I suppose that fact
would qualify me as an addict, and I don't care.
I am about to be 'tested' again:
I've been put back on Percocet and will be on them for months
AGAIN...
Could someone remind me :  What are all these 'tests' for, anyway?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 03:58:55 PM by 3xsaSeedling »
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
Re: Check this out
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 02:38:59 PM »
Quote from: "3xsaSeedling"
I can't believe I just lost this post and had to rewrite it!!
aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhcrapshITFUCK!!

Yeah, that sucks when that happens...that is why I always copy it before I post in case that happens. Where did it go ? did ye rewrite it?
-DP
"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
fresh baked for life
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »
I've also been 'fresh baked daily' for ...'forever'.  I suppose that fact would qualify me as an addict, and I don't care.

It makes you no more of an "addict" than someone who has to have their coffee every morning, or someone who smokes cigarettes.

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
Re: fresh baked for life
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 12:13:32 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"
I've also been 'fresh baked daily' for ...'forever'.  I suppose that fact would qualify me as an addict, and I don't care.

It makes you no more of an "addict" than someone who has to have their coffee every morning, or someone who smokes cigarettes.

I'm in some DEEP doo-doo then Frod, 'cause I do that stuff too!!
I will be quitting the cigarettes during my 3wk hospital vacation though.
I must say though:  I am getting REAL sick of 'hanging in there',
IF ya know what I mean?!

Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"