Author Topic: Question about dreams from the past  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Question about dreams from the past
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:20:25 AM »
I have been referred to this board my a co-worker of my father, who contribute a little to this board and the Wiki you also have, because I can't find anyone at home understanding what I am going through.

Sometime I wake bathed in sweat because I have dreamt that I was back at my boarding school. What is wrong?

I have to tell you my story. We had some problems at home and I thought that a continuation school was the answer. In the old days they were the reform schools in Denmark, but during the last 20 years they have marketed themselves as a solution for self-development.

I personally selected the school myself and so to say dragged my parents into allowing me to go. They were not too happy about it and thought that it would be a too restricted environment, which could shut me off from my family and friends.

I have to say that the school itself only had very few limitations on communication. Mail was allowed and the staff didn't care about what we did write. Phone could also be used outside classes, but mobile phone were only allowed after two months for us to adjust. No alcohol or drugs were of course allowed on school property and we have to sober while travelling from and to the school, but we could travel home most of the weekends, so we were not totally shut off from being a normal Danish teenager. Kissing and hugging was allowed but all room should be single gender, so as they stated the recommended the parents for some students to invite the boy-/girl-friend home for the weekend, so the students did not risk being expelled due to sex.

Regardless of the conditions I could not manage to live there. The day was very structured and I missed having a glass of wine with my parents in the living room before bed. My father must have known more about me as a person because when I arrived at the school he gave me a small envelope. When the situation was worst, I opened the enveloped and found a paper telling me to phone them and ask about a non-existing aunt if I wanted home. The student phone which were the only mean of online communication was placed in a very public place and the teachers all told us that it was placed so people could see who the cry-babies were, when they phoned home and pleaded to be pulled. In the first week 2 students left. I hoped that I could manage but after almost 3 weeks, I had to make the "Stop-call".

My parents told me to pack my belonnings as secret as possible and then they arrived some 5 hours later. The staff urged my parents to allow me to have a real shot at the reform school life, but my parents knew me and pulled me. I was a little afraid that they would be angry of me because they had to pay for extra weeks, but there was not hard feeling.

When we spoke on the trip home, they told me that they had expected this outcome but they had to teach me a lesson. They blamed me for being too impulse managed and of thinking too short-term. As they told me Danes are expected to support their local community and see strangers, new technoligies, outside cultural influences as challenges rather than possibilities. They were so wise! It was then that I understood that they were more in connection with my sole than myself. At some point in the exciting process of moving out, I had forgotten myself and they had seen it.

I returned home, attended the local school and later the local high school (I would have dropped out and started to work full time, if we didn't have a high school locally. So much I did learn). I am hoping for job in the local supermarket where I work parttime after this summer and then I have fullfilled my ambitions for the adult life. As a part of my gratitude towards my parents I will continue to live at their place to support them.

But I remain with one problem. Some nights I return to the continuation school in my dream where I can't find the note left by my father. I dream that I have to appear before the entire student body and the staff to be laughed at when I try to dial the number of my parent only to find it disconnected. What is wrong and will those terrible dreams ever go away?

Janne, born 1991, now Koege cititizen 4ever.
http://www.blog.dk/jj1991
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Re: Question about dreams from the past
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
Mine went away eventually.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 12:07:32 AM »
It has been 32 years since I left the "elan two corporation" , thats what it says on the sheet of paper they gave me when i left. I still have the nightmares ,can't call them dreams. Not as much as I did around 2000, when elan reared its ugly head in the news with joe ricci screaming from the headlines "why can't by gones just be by gones " ,,,,and well you know

but yes I still have them.

Offline timash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:39:36 AM »
i spent 10 and 1/2 months in straight inc in spring field VA in 1989
i still wake in the middle of the night covered in sweat
the only way i can describe the hell i went through is to say it was much like the
pow camps my father described from Nam.
i will never forget straight .
i try to forget but its always crept back into my mind.

Offline Awake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »
Nightmares and nightsweats are quite common in the fornits members. I've had the ever since I left CEDU. Almost every night I have to change clothes cuz I'm covered in sweat. It still hasn't gone away. Here's a recent thread on fd up dreams survivors had.

http://fornits.com/smf/index.php?topic=25574.0

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:47:07 PM »
Drinking normally as an adult is one or two drinks once in the while in the evening after work.
sorry, I'm done now.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 12:57:45 PM »
Quote from: "pvisamoneymakingscam"
Drinking normally as an adult is one or two drinks once in the while in the evening after work.
sorry, I'm done now.
It's culture dependent.  In Ireland drinking 5 or 6 pints (big pints) of Guinness after work is normal.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »
sorry, I'm done now.

Cutting back on the alcohol will reduce the nightsweats.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »
Quote from: "guest"
sorry, I'm done now.

Cutting back on the alcohol will reduce the nightsweats.

or staying away from "Taco Bell" after 10:00 pm.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 08:19:45 AM »
Wow. I didn't know nightmares were such a common phenomena. I have such awful nightmares that I went on medication, just for them. My nightmares aren't completely due to my programs, but they are mostly.

Jamie, your dreams are about your narrow escape from a trap.

You weren't in a torture-gulag, or somewhere Abusive with a capitol A. But your school was subtly "abusive" in   that the intense structure was detrimental to your being. Too much structure—especially in an isolated environment--is as harmful to a brain as doing nothing but watching T.V all day.

The isolation of the environment and its communication hindrances created a barrier that made it somewhat difficult to leave. You nightmare's are stories subconsciousness's anxiety over this "entrapment" produces to seek closure and understanding of how to escape should you find yourself in an environment that has elements of coerced captivity again.

Also, you have great parents. Do they have a foreign exchange program?