Author Topic: "Attack Therapy" at The John Dewey Academy  (Read 43540 times)

Re:
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2008, 03:04:39 AM »
wait im confused. Do images post here are not? There are images all over this thread
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: Re:
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
Quote from: "sdasd"
wait im confused. Do images post here are not? There are images all over this thread
They used to, but no longer do. What's there alreaDY is still there, but ya can't do it no more. WhaTEVER you do, don't ask ME why.  :D

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2008, 07:46:50 PM »
I went to JDA and it was the worst experience in my entire life. I ran away half a year ago. I was virtually homeless for four months because my parents were advised by the JDA staff not to let me come home.

The therapy session quoted in this article was mild compared to JDA standards. Therapy was usually much, much worse. It wasn't uncommon to be called "a fucking worthless piece of shit" "a manipulative, dishonest bastard" etc. It was verbal abuse.

After I left I received a letter from Bratter telling me, among other things, that I was friendless, that I'd never had any real friends in my entire life and I never would learn how to make friends. He wrote that the only way I would survive outside of John Dewey was if I resorted to prostitution and the only way I could become a "worthwhile" person was if I came back and completed the program. He wrote that he feared all I would ever become, at best, was "the assistant to the assistant to the assistant manager at a fast food restaurant."

When I first came to the program I was a senior. I'd already applied to several highly selective colleges. Tom Bratter asked me where I wanted to go and I told him my first choice and he told me if I stayed, he would get me in because another student who was graduating that year had applied early and been deferred, but with his insider info and leverage he was confident he could threaten the school into accepting the student. While I was at JDA this particular student was accepted into the school and is now attending it thanks to Bratter.

In his letter he also mentioned acceptance to the school, that if I came back I still had a chance of going there but if I left I'd never get in. I refused to go back, determined to never, ever return to a place where I'd felt so horribly worthless, which was quite a feat for someone who has been severely depressed for almost half her life.

I wasn't like most of the kids sent to JDA. I had never done any drugs, even pot, in my life, I never drank, I'd never engaged in promiscuous behavior, I'd been a straight-A student. I'd never cheated, stolen, or hurt other people. I was just severely depressed, and had attempted suicide several times even after years of therapy. My parents were fed up and didn't want to deal with me anymore, and John Dewey provided a great solution.

It was the worst thing they could have done.

The first time I tried to leave, I announced that I was because of their "open-door" policy. Bratter told me I was welcome to leave, but a student told me he'd call the cops the minute I set foot outside the door.

One day a while after that incident, I just walked out the door and across the street to the general store that sold bus tickets while most students were in classes. I hid in the bushes of the station until the bus arrive and boarded. I had all of $8.34 when I arrived in New York City, where I'd lived, and no phone numbers or means of contacting anyone because when I'd arrived at John Dewey they had taken all of that personal information away.

At John Dewey I suffered verbal abuse and isolation. I had to scrub the toilets my second week there because I'd asked a "Younger Member" a question without a Middle or Older Member listening. I worked through Closed House, which was a school-wide "consequence" where, among other things, we weren't allowed to eat cooked food, or sit down at all during the day, except for designated therapy time. The only place we were allowed to sit during the day was the floor, and only if it was hardwood or marble, no carpet. If we leaned back on our hands we were punished. We were never allowed more than six hours of sleep. All our "privileges" were taken away. We weren't allowed to go outside at all. We couldn't groom ourselves. During the day we had to "Super-GI" the entire castle, which included scrubbing the group in between the tiles on our hands and knees with q-tips. We could have no cooked food, prepared meals, or sweet foods. We could only drink water.

Closed House lasted almost an entire month.

I still have nightmares of John Dewey and it's affected me more than my parents care to understand. They still think they were right in sending me there, but I can't disagree more.

These places are not the answer.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2008, 10:53:25 PM »
god damn... that's rough.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2008, 06:20:47 PM »
Avalon,

Very sorry to hear your story. No one deserves to be treated this way.

I hope you have found a better situation now, and are doing okay.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2008, 11:58:22 PM »
Been awhile since I've been here, but I read the top note and couldn't resist throwing in my two cents.

Isn't Jason a good example of why "confrontation therapy" (which has been rejected my mainstream psychology for decades) is a failure? It sure failed him! They basically kicked out a student who was getting good grades. Then they shipped him to wilderness (a money making recommendation, I'm sure) and he came back even more hostile. No surprise there. Then they sabotage his college career and life by suggesting he was unstable.

Am I the only one that can see nothing was wrong with Jason? They were just making stuff up (bullshit) to confront him with. Seriously, I got half way through and thought it must be a parody or satire or something. It was impossible to take the article seriously at all. Then it struck me that the real tragedy is they were messing up a real person and that those doing it believed in what they were doing. It ruined my whole night.

If a kid is 'isolating' and doesn't want to socialize, isn't that his right as an American? As a loner, I get fed up with people thinking I must be depressed or shy because I prefer my own company to that of others. I am also not comfortable sharing my thoughts or emotions in a group setting. That is also normal and it is my right, and anyone's not to participate in any particular discussion no matter the circumstances. It doesn't make us psycho or uncooperative. One learns more by listening than by speaking, anyway.

Basically screaming in someone's face and calling them names is never therapy. It is verbal abuse.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Gwendolyn Hampton
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2008, 10:51:27 PM »
Quote from: "HUNAN"
Since you missed this the first time around, this is from four years ago.  A more recent vintage?  Same shit.

http://www.isaccorp.org/documents/dewey ... 26.04.html

Dewey Academy is sued over teacher-student affair
By Derek Gentile
Berkshire Eagle Staff
August 26, 2004

GREAT BARRINGTON -- A former student at the John Dewey Academy is suing the private therapeutic boarding school and some of its officials, including headmaster Thomas Bratter, for allegedly failing to properly oversee a female teacher who enticed the student into a sexual relationship.

The civil suit was filed last week in U.S. District Court in Boston by the Boston law firm of Brody, Hardoon, Perkins & Kesten.

The defendants are listed as John Dewey Academy, Bratter, dean of students Kenneth Steiner and Gwendolyn Hampton, a former teacher.

The suit was filed by former student [name withheld by ISAC].

The [family is] seeking to be compensated for personal injury, emotional distress, breach of contract, reasonable attorney's fees and punitive fees. No specific figure was requested in the suit, but the [student's parents] contend they spent $110,000 on the education of their son at Dewey Academy.

Contacted yesterday, Bratter denied the claims in the suit. As soon as he and Steiner were made aware of the relationship, he said, the school fired Hampton.

"We take very seriously our position as role models for our students," said Bratter. "Had we had any suspicion that this was happening, we would have terminated that employee immediately."

Hampton could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The suit contends that Bratter and Steiner failed to properly supervise Hampton, a Spanish teacher who was also assigned as [the student's] clinician.

[The student] was admitted to Dewey Academy in 1999 after being expelled from high school in Illinois for drug and alcohol abuse.

In the spring of 2000, [the student] and Hampton began a sexual relationship when [the student] was 18 and Hampton was 28. Hampton had been hired by Dewey Academy in the mid- 1990s, according to the suit.

According to the suit, Hampton was entrusted with counseling the young man. Instead, she regularly gave [the student] alcohol, encouraged his use of drugs and had sexual relations with him at her home in Great Barrington and in the school car.

After [the student] graduated in 2001, the relationship continued. In June 2002, with [the student] in college, the couple had a child, which was later placed for adoption, according to the suit.

[The student] was of legal age, and Massachusetts law does not prohibit teachers from having sexual relationships with their students if the students are 16 or older. No charges were ever filed against Hampton.

However, the lawsuit contends that students and staff were aware of the relationship between [the student] and Hampton, and that the school did nothing to investigate or stop it, a charge Bratter angrily denies.

Lawrence E. Hardoon, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of the [family], is a former state prosecutor who has handled sexual abuse cases.

He said he believes that state law should be expanded to make it illegal for teachers to have sex with their students, even if those students are 16 or older.

"Actually, I don't disagree with that," said Bratter yesterday. "The law should be changed."

This is the second time a Dewey Academy official has been charged with having an inappropriate relationship with a student.

In 1995, Bratter pleaded no contest in Connecticut to a charge of second-degree unlawful restraint, which involved an alleged relationship with a 17-year-old girl. However, the charges lodged by the girl in the same case in Massachusetts were dropped.

The Dewey Academy, a coeducational, college preparatory therapeutic boarding school, was founded by Bratter in 1985. The annual tuition at the school, which houses its students year-round, is $65,000.

NOTE: The name of the family has been withheld by the International Survivors Action Committee.

I started wondering whatever happened to Gwendolyn Hampton, and did a search on fornits...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Gwendolyn Hampton
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2008, 11:11:22 PM »
...and came up with another version of that quoted post above, plus a much more detailed and disturbing account of the same case, which I repost here:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Civil Suit Against Dewey in MA
posted by "Guest" on 14 Sep 2004

Teacher in abuse suit defends actions
At Dewey Academy, feelings of betrayal

By Shelley Murphy, Globe Staff | September 14, 2004

GREAT BARRINGTON -- At a private boarding school for troubled teenagers in this small town in the Berkshires, Gwendolyn Hampton earned respect as a seemingly devoted Spanish teacher, counselor, houseparent, and single mother.

But students and staff at John Dewey Academy said they now feel betrayed by Hampton after a federal civil lawsuit was filed in Boston last month alleging that she had a secret, sexual relationship with one of her students and had at least one child by him.

Wiping away tears during an interview in her backyard, Hampton said she is humiliated by the case, which has jeopardized her career as a teacher. She insisted that she did not have sex with Adam Helfand, the student who filed the suit, until after he graduated in 2001.

''I didn't believe I did anything wrong," said Hampton, 32, who is 10 years older than Helfand. ''I feel I was good for Adam in the time I had a relationship with him. I certainly wasn't luring or enticing anyone."

But Helfand, who responded to several questions from a reporter via e-mail, said he was midway through his junior year at Dewey Academy when Hampton ''enticed me with alcohol, drugs, and sex."

As his teacher, boss, and therapist, Hampton ''controlled every aspect of my life at John Dewey," Helfand wrote. ''She did not help me. She further exacerbated problems that I already had and created more emotional prolems that I will now have to deal with for the rest of my life."

Helfand, who was expelled from an Illinois high school in 1999 for using drugs and alcohol, was supposed to be getting help for his problems at Dewey. Instead, he said, Hampton gave him alcohol and prescription pills.

''We would smoke marijuana together, as well," he said in his e-mail, adding that other former students were sometimes present ''when we were getting high and drunk."

Hampton denied ever giving alcohol to Helfand or encouraging him to use drugs. But she said she did sometimes drink alcohol in her home, despite rules at Dewey Academy that required its teachers to refrain from alcohol or drug use at any time.

Though Hampton said she did not believe her relationship with Helfand was wrong, she said she did not feel completely ''comfortable" when it turned sexual and did not tell people about it.

After getting pregnant twice, Hampton said she hid her pregnancies from everyone at the school by wearing loose-fitting clothes to work.

While Helfand and Hampton agreed to give their first daughter up for adoption in June 2002, Hampton said she never told him that she gave birth to a second daughter by him on Sept. 17, 2003, because he had broken off their relationship six months earlier. She said she's raising that child on her own, along with her older children, who are 12 and 14.

Hampton's lawyer, Joseph Elder of Hartford, said he plans to seek child support from the Helfands for the baby born last year.

Laurence E. Hardoon of Boston, the lawyer who represents the Helfands, said the family would ask for a paternity test to determine whether the child is Adam Helfand's.

Hampton also said that more than two years ago, Helfand and his aunt urged her to join him in filing a suit against John Dewey Academy, but that she refused.

Hampton said Helfand wanted her to support his false allegation that their sexual relationship began when he was a student, promising that he would give her a share of any money he might get from the case and that she would be ''set for life."

Hardoon called Hampton's version ridiculous and said she had distorted a conversation in which Helfand's aunt was upset after learning that her nephew had a baby with his teacher. Helfand also said the conversation had been distorted.

Hampton has not been charged with any criminal wrongdoing. The age of consent for sexual relations is 16 in Massachusetts, and it is not illegal for a teacher to have a sexual relationship with a student who is at least that age. However, school districts strictly forbid such relationships. The suit alleges that Helfand was 18 when the sexual relationship began.

Hampton said she is teaching at another private high school, which she would not identify, but the Department of Education has refused to issue her certification because of the pending civil suit. She said she's afraid she'll lose her job and currently has no health insurance for her children.

The civil suit accuses Hampton of ''counseling malpractice." It alleges that Dewey Academy, its president and founder Thomas Bratter, and dean Kenneth Steiner were negligent in failing to supervise Hampton.

Bratter said he was unaware of the relationship between Hampton and Helfand and had received letters from the young man's parents praising the school for supporting their son and helping him get into college.

''If I had known about the relationship I would have fired her immediately," Bratter said.

Hampton was forced to leave the school last September after the Helfands' lawyers sent a letter to Bratter alerting him to the allegations.

Mitchell and Caron Helfand paid $110,000 to send their son to Dewey for two years after he was expelled from the Illinois high school. The suit alleges that Hampton had sex with Adam Helfand in a school car and at her home.

Hampton said she developed a very close relationship with Helfand because she was asked to do too many things: teaching him, serving as his primary counselor, and overseeing him when he worked in the school's kitchen. She often called him to her house to baby-sit or to do chores, and he became very close with her family.

''The boundaries were blurred; I was his lifeline," Hampton said, adding that she became very close with Helfand's family as well.

She said they paid for her and her two children to visit their home in Illinois in December 2000 and in June 2001 and often gave her gifts. She also said that through her efforts, a rift between Helfand and his brother was mended.

When the relationship turned sexual, Hampton said they discussed their age differences and she told him: ''This is probably something that is not going to be long-lasting. We are in two different phases in our lives."

According to Hampton, Helfand ended their relationship via e-mail in March 2003 after confiding the details of their affair -- including the baby and the adoption -- to his parents. He had also learned that Hampton had told his parents that she believed he continued to have a drug problem.

Still, even now, Hampton insists that she did nothing wrong or illegal and that she cared deeply for Helfand. ''I didn't see myself as going out with a kid," she said. ''I brought out the best in him. He made grown-up decisions, mature decisions."

But that's not the way Helfand sees it.

''She did not do anything to help me," he said in his e-mail. ''She furthered any problems I already had and added emotional issues that I deal with on a daily basis." He wouldn't comment on the babies, but said, ''There is not a day that goes by that I am not affected by what happened at John Dewey."

Hardoon said: ''There is an enormous breach of trust because the parents really embraced her as someone they believed was helping their son. They really opened their hearts to her as somebody they thought was doing good things for their son. They had no idea that any of this was going on behind their backs."

That sense of betrayal is also felt at the school, which is housed in the majestic Searles Castle, a mansion built in the 1880s by Mary Frances Hopkins Searles, then one of the richest women in the world. It is now home to 29 high school students, many of whom said their lives have been transformed by the program built on intense confrontational therapy and academics.

Matthew Sinsheimer, a 17-year-old student, credits Hampton's counseling sessions with helping him give up his dishonest and manipulative ways and learn to tell the truth.

''I feel as if she was very hypocritical," Sinsheimer said. ''She did something that is almost unforgiveable, that is very dangerous for the school. She didn't think of the consequences of her actions; she never followed her own advice."

Still, he admits he cares for Hampton and hopes she will be all right.

Diana Gittelman, a divorce mediator and lawyer who teaches law part-time at Dewey Academy, said that nobody at the school had a clue that Hampton was pregnant. ''It blows my mind, because I think of myself as an intelligent, sophisticated woman," she said.

Gittelman said it would be unfair if the lawsuit damages the school, because it has been so successful at helping ''out-of-control" teenagers turn their lives around and go to college.

The suit has also cast a spotlight on Bratter, who has been accused in the past of having inappropriate sexual contact with two female students.

In 1995, Bratter pleaded no contest in Connecticut to a state charge of second-degree unlawful restraint, which involved his relationship with a 17-year-old girl. As part of a plea agreement, he received a suspended one-year sentence and was required to perform 500 hours of community service and donate $50,000 to a charity that helped victims of crime or abuse. The father of the girl later filed a civil suit against Bratter, which was settled out of court.

After being charged with indecent assault and battery on a 17-year-old girl in 1999 in Great Barrington, Bratter pleaded guilty to assault and battery in June 2002. He was placed on probation and ordered not to have unsupervised contact with girls under 18.

Bratter said he had put his hand on the girl's knee while trying to comfort her as they drove to a local store in his car, but he said she falsely accused him of putting his hand on her thigh.

He said he pleaded guilty in both cases because his lawyer advised him to, but vehemently denies ever having an inappropriate relationship with a student.

An admittedly brash and unorthodox leader, Bratter said he's been happily married for 41 years and would never do anything to harm a student.

Lisa Sinsheimer, a New York City physician who frequently volunteers at the school and heads the parents' group, said Bratter is devoted to students and has made himself vulnerable by running a school that takes in students who don't always tell the truth.

''When a kid comes to this school, he doesn't give up on them," said Sinsheimer, adding that Bratter is known to hug students, who often refer to him as Uncle Tom.

During one of the weekly confrontational group therapy sessions at the school, where staff and students gather in a circle, Hampton acknowledged that she was questioned about why Helfand continued to visit her so much after he graduated and whether the relationship was appropriate.

She said, ''I said he was having a hard time adjusting to [college] and I was support for him, which was true."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2008, 07:53:38 AM »
Wow. Somethings wrong with this woman. Seduces student, has two kids by him, and then defends herself. And her story doesnt match student's story.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »
There are so many things wrong with her so-called stance on this, I hardly know where to begin. For starters, how about:

• teacher-student boundaries and trust violated
  • therapist-patient boundaries and trust violated
  • school rules flagrantly disregarded

And yet she still doesn't think her relationship with him was wrong (even though the student feels completely fucked over by the experience).

Then there is the issue of all the babies:

While Helfand and Hampton agreed to give their first daughter up for adoption in June 2002, Hampton said she never told him that she gave birth to a second daughter by him on Sept. 17, 2003, because he had broken off their relationship six months earlier. She said she's raising that child on her own, along with her older children, who are 12 and 14.

Hampton's lawyer, Joseph Elder of Hartford, said he plans to seek child support from the Helfands for the baby born last year.

Unbelievable. Think this woman should still be teaching kids?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Gwendolyn Hampton Van Sant: @ Waldorf
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2008, 12:05:29 PM »
Back to the teaching issue, and whether she still is doing so... At the time of the above article, she apparently already was:

From the Boston Globe article "Teacher in abuse suit defends actions" (by Shelley Murphy, September 14, 2004):
Hampton said she is teaching at another private high school, which she would not identify, but the Department of Education has refused to issue her certification because of the pending civil suit...

Did the Department of Education ever issue her certification? Because she is still teaching... now at the Great Barrington Waldorf High School. I guess as long as you avow enthusiasm for Steiner and the party line, and are already a Waldorf parent (at least one of her kids attends the elementary school), you've got a job!

The new Spanish teacher is here!
by Stephen Keith Sagarin, PhD - 15 Aug 2008

We are pleased to tell you that we have hired a wonderful Spanish teacher, Gwendolyn Hampton Van Sant, to replace the irreplaceable Julia Nunez.

“Profe Gwendolyn,” as she will be known, is excited to join our faculty and to meet and teach our students. She will teach all sections of Spanish and serve as coordinator for any students traveling to or from Spanish-speaking countries.

Profe Gwendolyn has a BA in Latin American History from Simon’s Rock College and has done graduate work at the University of Connecticut, Westfield State College, and Endicott College. She has also taught at the Eagleton School, John Dewey Academy, and Valleyhead School.

She is a co-founder of BRIDGE, Inc., which stands for “Berkshire Resources for Integration of Diverse Groups and Education” (http://multiculturalbridge.com). Her company, Mariposa Services, offers translation, interpreting, and tutoring in Spanish and other subjects.

She is a parent at the Steiner School in Great Barrington.

Please welcome her warmly to our school community!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
STUNNED
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2008, 03:02:01 PM »
Most disgraced teachers would at least have to move, for chrissake.  Unbelievable.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Gwendolyn Hampton Van Sant
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »
She's not just in the same area, she's still teaching in the same town. You would think she would have at least moved for the sake of her kids, but no...

In addition to teaching at the GBW High School, she fronts two small organizations that would appear to fall into the category of community services, though the descriptions of what they actually do are somewhat vague. I'm not sure she actually has any employees at either of them. She also got involved with the local Food Co-op.

Here is her profile from the Board of Directors of the Berkshire Co-op Market, also in Great Barrington, MA.

Our Board

Gwendolyn Hampton VanSant

I am a dedicated mother and partner as well as a motivated professional woman. I came to the Berkshires in 1987 to attend Simon’s Rock College and have made this my home to raise my family. Currently I am an interpreter, translator, teacher, consultant, and advocate. I am the President of BRIDGE, Inc. (Berkshire Resources to Integration of Diverse Groups and Education) where we provide all of the above services. This is the larger vision of my small enterprise, Mariposa Services, that was met with such high demand and positive feedback in our community that I am now building BRIDGE as an independent non-profit organization.

I am developing a keen perception of how organizations relate to their community and how each individual plays an integral role. I value my experience and accomplishments in particular as they allow me to develop my voice and presence in my work. I will bring invaluable input to the board and offer significant connections with an under heard but essential portion of our community. I am intrigued by the vision of the Co-op Market to be a transformative force in the community, to serve as a model of a sustainable business and to nurture social and economic well-being in an environmentally sensitive manner and the notion that we start that journey with our whole and natural foods market. I am eager to learn how I can play a role in developing our community as a self-sustaining tapestry and I believe I have a strong, level-headed voice that will ensure that the Co-op market and its community are authentically linked.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Gwendolyn Hampton Van Sant
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »
Note that this is not someone who accidentally took a wrong turn and ended up at John Dewey Academy for a few years before moving onto more reasonable pastures.

She graduated from Simon’s Rock College (part of Bard College; Great Barrington) in 1992 with a BA in Art History and Latin American History (Senior Thesis: "Selected Photographs of Graciela Iturbide and Luis Gonzalez Palma").

She then was at John Dewey -- in a variety of job descriptions including "Primary Counselor for caseload of 6-10 Students" and even Dean of Students at one point -- from 1992-2003... eleven years. (Ummm... would there be any training or certification for that "primary counselor" bit?)

Perhaps some comment should be made, to be fair, as to what it might do to one's perspective to be subjected to Tom Bratter for that period of time. That said, given that she is integrally involved in another cult at the moment, namely, the Rudolph Steiner School of Great Barrington plus the Great Barrington Waldorf School... ah, well, 'nuff said.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Genwdolyn Hampton VanSant
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »
Here's her CV. It contains all sorts of formatting errors and is not entirely up to date. I've tried to iron out the formatting issues just to make it readable, but left all the text untouched.

Gwendolyn G. Hampton VanSant
387 Main Road
PO Box 334
Monterey, MA 01245
413-528-8589/413-854-1176

[email protected]

Objective
To continue my career in education and community service as an educator, interpreter, translator, tutor, and advocate.

Professional Experience

Board of Directors, Berkshire Co-Op Market. October 2007-Present

Board of Directors, Free Legal Clinic. March 2008-Present

BRIDGE, Inc. Berkshire Resources to Integration of Diverse Groups and Education, 2007.
    Executive Director, & Co-Founder September 2007-present
    • Multicultural Dinners
      [li]Immigrant Advocacy for Access to Interpreting, Translating, and other Services
    • Professional Training on using Interpreters as Cultural Brokers
    • Spanish for the Workplace Course Development for Police, Emergency and Public Services. Grant Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation
    • Free Community Spanish Conversational Class in collaboration with Jewish Federation of the Berkshires. January 2008-May 2008.
    • Multicultural Education and Cultural Brokering
    • Community Organizing and Outreach
    • Grassroots Organizing of non-profit organization BRIDGE, Inc.
    [/li][/list]

Mariposa Services, 2007-present.
      Owner, Tutor, Translator, Interpreter, Curriculum Consultant
      • Personal Tutor. Writing Skills, Geometry, 11th grade, SAT prep, Spanish, AP Spanish prep and Algebra. Sept.2006-present
        [li]Translator. CHP (Community Health Programs) Website, evaluations and reports. Rotary Exchange Student documents. March 2007-present
      • Translator. Lee Middle and High School Special Education Department.March 2007-June 2007
      • Interpreter. Volunteers in Medicine. March 2007-June 2007
      • Interpreter. CHP, Early Intervention and Nutrition Services. June-present
      • Interpreter. Pediatric Development Center. September 2007-Present
      • Kitchen Coordinator. CHP Nutrition Services September 2007-March 2008
      • Spanish Classes. Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced. March 2007-present
      • Spanish Club Development. Valleyhead. June 2008-August 2008.
      • Adjunct faculty for Spanish for the Workplace. BCC. February 2008-present
      [/li][/list]

Eagleton School, 2003-2007.
        Spanish Teacher  
        • Taught Spanish school-wide to each student of varying levels of fluency ages 9-21 (TPR based)
        Resource Room Teacher
        • Taught Math using Upper Grades TouchMath system for remediated math skills
        • Taught Reading using SRA Laboratory and Wilson Reading System for remediating reading skills
        • Taught Study Skills school-wide for researching and outlining and drafting research papers using graphic organizers
        • Assessed/Monitored Reading levels using DIBELS
        • Taught Enrichment Classes in Cooking, Heritage Clubs
        • Supervised, edited and distributed student-generated school newspaper using Computer Lab
        • Organized school-wide Holiday assemblies
        • MCAS administration, proctoring, and assisting students with modifications specified in their IEPs
        • Prepared, assisted teachers, and submitted MCAS-Alts (DOE training)
        Research and Technology Teacher/Integrating Technology
        • Supervised Education Building Computer Network and Reporting to System Administrator from all classrooms and computer lab
        • Taught Computer Skills and held computer labs for all students focusing on Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, Access, Excel) and internet-based research
        On-Site Interpreter for Clinical Department
        • Interpreted Spanish in family therapy sessions on an as need basis as requested by the Clinical Department
        [/li][/list]

Unitarian Universalist Meeting of Southern Berkshire      
          Unitarian Universalist Religious Education Teacher 1999-present
          • Teaching middle and high school religious education classes introducing young students to the seven principles of Unitarian Universalism and to all schools of faith
            [li]Developing curriculum and calendar
          • Planning trips and events
          • Interim RE director for one year
          [/li][/list]

John Dewey Academy
            Associate Dean of Student Services 2002-2003
            • Organized student and family activities in the school
              [li]Developed, organized, led a group for parents of incoming students
            • Organized student involvement in local community through community service at town celebrations, projects with the Hispanic community, nursing homes, food shelters, and homeless shelters
            • Organized observance of religious holidays within the school and arranged for student teaching assistants in UUMSB religious education class
            • Collaborated with Dean of Students on activities for the students
            • Collaborated with Dean of Students in running student administration meeting
            • Organized Family Weekends every six weeks for administration, clinical, faculty families and students
            • Co-led Women’s Group for the female students with the Dean of Students
            • Co-led Mother’s Group with the Dean of Students
            • Led Parent and Family Groups every 6 weeks
            • Co-led Group Therapy three times a week with the other clinical staff
            • Primary Counselor for caseload of 6-10 Students quarterly
            Spanish and Sociology Teacher 1992-2003
            • Taught the following college preparatory courses related to Latin American Studies in Spanish: All levels of Spanish ranging from basic vocabulary and grammar to literature and politics of Latin America, Latin American Studies in English ranging from Art History to Literature to Politics
            • Taught the following college preparatory courses related to Sociology: Urban Issues, Urban Sociology (focusing on our educational system, race and class, poverty, our welfare system, history of social work), Survey of Community Service and Community Organizing (involving actual work within our community)
            • Taught courses in Women’s Studies: History of Women in the US, Women around the World, Latin American Women, History of West African Women; Perspectives in Women’s Studies
            • Organized, conducted, and chaperoned two two-week foreign language study programs for the students in Costa Rica and Mexico
            Acting Dean of Students December 1997-January 1998, November 1999-January 2000 October 2000-November 2002
            • Primary Counselor
            • Led Women’s Group
            • Led Heads Meeting( Student Administration)
            • Maintained Student Medical Records with the Business Office
            • Trained residential staff, train incoming Deans of Students
            • Led Parent Groups
            Kitchen Director
            • Planned menus; ordered all food for two meals daily feeding between 25 to 40 people; maintained kitchen supply for boarder breakfasts and snacks for the students
            • Instructed a kitchen staff on how to prepare, serve and store the food
            • Organized at least one meal for 100 people every six weeks
            • Maintained physical kitchen and its hardware and appliances
            • Locally licensed as Food Service Provider after taking nationally recognized ServSafe course
            Residential Staff
            • Responsible for students and building after school, overnight, and weekends for fire drills, runaways, parent phone calls, staff phone calls, student crises, etc.
            • Organized extra-curricular and recreational activities on weekends and vacations
            [/li][/list]

Oakdale Foundation
              Adjunct Faculty/Staff
              • Provided English classes and daily activities for mentally deficient adults from Venezuela
              [/li][/list]

Education

Reading Institute/Endicott College 2005
              • Computers in Specialized Reading

Westfield State College 2005
              • Foundations of Reading

University of Connecticut School of Social Work
               1998-2001
              • Included the following courses: Introductory to Social Work, Ethics in Social Work, Casework, Group Work, Computers in Social Work, The Black Experience, History of Social Work and Women Children and Families.
              Simon’s Rock College of Bard Great Barrington, MA 01230
                Bachelor of Arts in Art History and Latin America History 1987-1992

Honors, Certifications, and Accomplishments
              • Certificates of Completion in Medical (15 hr. course) and Mental Health Interpreting 2007. Passed MIT exam for the 54 hr. course.
              • Nominated/Awarded the National Who's Who Among High School Teachers Recognition 2005
              • Trained in MCAS-Alt by Massachusetts Department of Education 2004-2005
              • Certified ServSafe Professional. 2000
              • Honorary Women’s Studies Major Simon's Rock College Class of 1992
              • Department of Language and Literature Prize Simon's Rock College Class of 1992
              • Research Abroad and Senior Thesis on Images of Women in Central American Photography based on personal interviews of Mexican and Latin American photographers, Graciela Iturbide and Luis Gonzalez Palma in Mexico City
              • Interned in District Attorney Office in Pittsfield, MA in the Victim-Witness unit
              • Trained as a peer counselor and Rape Crisis counselor on college campus and in Pittsfield, MA
              • Developed the Slide Library for the Arts Department in the Albert Schweitzer Center at Simon’s Rock by photographing pictures from Art History books and galleries and museums, organizing, filing, labeling all slides in the Art History Department

Related Skills and Professional experience
              • Bilingual.
              • Proficient in Microsoft Office. Oversaw Education Building Computer Network and reported to System Administrator of the school. 2004-2006.
              • Taught Computer Skills. 2003-2006
              • Conducted series of professional trainings in Adolescent Self-Destructive Behavior to all Staff. Valleyhead School, Lenox, MA. 2002
              • Spanish for the Workplace Course Development for Police, Emergency and Public Services. Grant Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation. 2008
              • Adjunct Faculty for BCC and approved accredited site for BCC. 2007-present.
              • Taught Spanish in the Workplace for Fairview Hospital and Children's Health Program for all staff. 1994 and 1996.
              • Personal Tutor for students and adults of varying levels in several subjects: Mathematics, Reading, Writing, Spanish, Algebra, and MCAS prep.
              • Special Education Tutoring for Searles Middle School and Monument Mountain High School students coordinating with foster parents and DSS. 1992 - Present
              • After School Spanish Program. Bryant School.
              • Spanish for Tots. Bear Care Center.